Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Barber interview on BT Sport at 7.15pm

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Ha yep.

Sometimes i wonder if Tony likes having Barber doing media coverage galore because it keeps people about how well run we are, a distraction from the fact we have a billionaire fan owner who generously picks up the bill for pretty much anything we want.

Thought the Barbs interview on the club website/Times was good. From what I can see he's said the same thing on SSN, talksport and BT Sport as well.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I think it's simpler than that. I think that Tony believes that Barber likes and is better at the media stuff than himself. I always get the impression he doesn't particularly enjoy the limelight, other than when we beat Wigan and he's had a few :drink:

And IIRC even then he had to be persuaded onto the mic to sing and we found out that even Tony has weaknesses :wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Does make me laugh when Brighton are held up as a club for others to replicate as we've achieved our dream.
Very easy sound bytes when you have a billionaire fan owner.

:facepalm:

I smell Palace :shrug:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
PB is the very best in the business, we are so lucky to have him at our club.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Does make me laugh when Brighton are held up as a club for others to replicate as we've achieved our dream.

Very easy sound bytes when you have a billionaire fan owner.

Money alone is not enough. You still have to build, recruit and operate very smartly.

See Portsmouth and QPR and what happened to them.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Ha yep.

Sometimes i wonder if Tony likes having Barber doing media coverage galore because it keeps people about how well run we are, a distraction from the fact we have a billionaire fan owner who generously picks up the bill for pretty much anything we want.

Thought the Barbs interview on the club website/Times was good. From what I can see he's said the same thing on SSN, talksport and BT Sport as well.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Paul Barber, as well as being CEO & Vice-Chairman of our club, has also worked at a high level for Spurs, and the FA, so has considerable experience of how football, as a business, actually works, and how the media operates.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Money alone is not enough. You still have to build, recruit and operate very smartly.

totally

you just need the money as a basis otherwise you are limited to whatyou can ultimately achieve

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
not at all

Just without a rich owner we wouldnt of built the amex.

How many milions have we lost year on year ?

All ok as have TB but to your Rochdales , Exeters , Carlisles etc - its pie in the sky

We are very lucky.

Having a rich owner is nothing to do with having a well run club. I thought your comment was quite the sort of thing a Palace fan would say, belittling the Amex because it was paid for by a rich man (as opposed to being built by hundreds of thousands of individual fans using their bare hands, like the stad de clad, presumably). Rochdale and Exeter could also be well run clubs, albeit with less rich owners and, consequently, lower aspirations. If Rochdale and Exeter want a better pie then they need a richer owner. Clubs don't ascend the pyramid by luck.

I suppose I agree that 'we' are lucky, if you mean that being in the EPL, our "hearts' desire" (not mine, but I never said 'no thanks' when it happened), has come to pass because we are lucky to have a rich owner. But to come full circle, I can't understand how this predicates your apparenly (to me anyway) sneery comments about Barber's interview. We are a well run club. :shrug:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Mel Morris have invested £200m on non-stadium matters in Derby,

Steve Lansdown over £150m in Bristol City.

Stoke are owned by the £7b Coates family.

TB was just one of several wealthy owners in the EFL, but learning on the job, he eventually found the right mix to get us to the EPL.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

TB was just one of several wealthy owners in the EFL, but learning on the job, he eventually found the right mix to get us to the EPL.

He once said he didn’t have experience of running a football club...so he hired people who did. I feel this is where the difference with many rich owners lies.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Having a rich owner is nothing to do with having a well run club. I thought your comment was quite the sort of thing a Palace fan would say, belittling the Amex because it was paid for by a rich man (as opposed to being built by hundreds of thousands of individual fans using their bare hands, like the stad de clad, presumably). Rochdale and Exeter could also be well run clubs, albeit with less rich owners and, consequently, lower aspirations. If Rochdale and Exeter want a better pie then they need a richer owner. Clubs don't ascend the pyramid by luck.

I suppose I agree that 'we' are lucky, if you mean that being in the EPL, our "hearts' desire" (not mine, but I never said 'no thanks' when it happened), has come to pass because we are lucky to have a rich owner. But to come full circle, I can't understand how this predicates your apparenly (to me anyway) sneery comments about Barber's interview. We are a well run club. :shrug:

wasnt meant as a sneer to Barber . More a sneer to football as a whole that you canT get to the top by being well run.

You need a very wealthy owner. So for many it is simply not a dream thats realistic.

My issue is more with football .

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He once said he didn’t have experience of running a football club...so he hired people who did. I feel this is where the difference with many rich owners lies.

Very true.

Steve Lansdown is similar to TB, he’s mentioned us as the model he follows.

Whereas the likes of Mel Morris follow the old model of the combative, sacking and busibodying owner-manager. Kneejerkism leaves them in the EFL.

Not enough of these to go around.

ED726AC3-434E-4636-9328-0812027EE053.png

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
We're held up as a club to replicate but TB holds nearly 100% of the club's equity, which in any other club would be a really dangerous position. I would hate to see him forced to sell equity so that he had less than 50%, and it'd also worry me how we raise upwards of £250m to allow this, can't see the forty note fund coping with that!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
wasnt meant as a sneer to Barber . More a sneer to football as a whole that you canT get to the top by being well run.

You need a very wealthy owner. So for many it is simply not a dream thats realistic.

Fair enough.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

[emoji106]

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Absolutely. It’s a key difference.

Not just football. People who are very successful in business nearly always have a knack of finding and hiring the right people.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

It’s true, it’s not one thing. It’s a convergence of several things including money. But again, that’s like any business when you think about it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here