Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Barber "embarrassed" by our support

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Well said Paul Barber.
Anyone that wants to take cocaine and ends up becoming abusive and fighting deserves banning.

The harder they come down on that behaviour, the better.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
These late kick offs are the reason. Extra two and a half hours of shanting before KO.

Barber is crying and we still have Leeds and Palace to come :cheers:

No. People being f***ing idiots are the reason. No excuses. Same morons who like singing about Zaha dying or throwing bottles indiscriminately outside Norwood Jcn.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
With the Albion having approximately 32000 fans and 32 have been excluded since the season began ....representing...0.1 %, I think it might have been better if had said " a tiny tiny portion of Albion fans..etc ".

Personally, I'm embarrassed that this article has become the 4th most read article of our local rag...The Argus.

Only because it's more exciting that yet another Argus article trolling Katie Price, or advertising dressed up as news for someone selling their £3m home.

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
No. People being f***ing idiots are the reason. No excuses. Same morons who like singing about Zaha dying or throwing bottles indiscriminately outside Norwood Jcn.

Indeed, I reckon that figure of 32 exclusions could have been doubled or tripled if the cocks attending that game had been identified. 5 or 6 right behind us with racist chanting (as well as the Zaha dying one) and booing the knee. Must have been at least half a dozen bottles lobbed across the station platform, we were on the receiving end, there’s a dozen for the list.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

"With lockdown lifted, fans permitted to attend matches again, and the team enjoying an excellent season so far, it’s hard to fathom why."

I'd venture that being able to get together in large groups in pubs and inhale a vast amount of hooter having been stuck at home on and off for over a year is exactly why, not just Brighton, but also other clubs are seeing this. c.f. The Euros Final.

Drugs-Dog-New-179x300.png

Couple of them on the turnstiles for a few weeks should sort it

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I once got a NSC Infraction warning for "Unduly irritating behaviour" after posting an intentionally misleading subject header on here - and mine was clever and funny.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I once got a NSC Infraction warning for "Unduly irritating behaviour" after posting an intentionally misleading subject header on here - and mine was clever and funny.

I've known you for more years than I care to remember. It's unlikely that a warning of "Unduly irritating behaviour" was anything to with a thread you posted.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I’m just impressed by the self restraint of our fans to still have any packet left by Turf Moore, I’d be looking at an empty bag before our train even pulled in to Burnley if I’d gone

:moo:

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Much more prevalent than previous seasons…….the cubicle queue at Turf Moor was huge, and a few groups coming into the concourse heading for them en masse :rolleyes:

Contributes to ASB, fighting and most obviously singing all the songs too bloody fast :moo:

They have sniffer dogs for away fans at the Amex, wouldn't have thought it'd be too hard to have them for home fans too.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
They have sniffer dogs for away fans at the Amex, wouldn't have thought it'd be too hard to have them for home fans too.

Pre-covid it wasn't uncommon to see them on the approach up from the station to the Amex.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Paul Barber "embarrassed" by our support

The Argus piece is a write up of Paul Barber’s programme notes.
Which are in full via https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2336710/read-paul-barbers-programme-notes (fewer ads and pop ups)

PS he says they are on the brink of “having a record number of Albion + memberships” presumably because it’s a condition of the sharing scheme and that the waiting lists for STs and 1901 are starting “to build again. “

And there’s a explanation about how many away tickets the club are asking for this season and how they do it. Ie: club trying to balance demand vs games on tv vs losing ££.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
"With lockdown lifted, fans permitted to attend matches again, and the team enjoying an excellent season so far, it’s hard to fathom why."

I'd venture that being able to get together in large groups in pubs and inhale a vast amount of hooter having been stuck at home on and off for over a year is exactly why, not just Brighton, but also other clubs are seeing this. c.f. The Euros Final.

We’ve probably had a bigger increase of young lads doing bugel at away games than most other teams tbh. We missed out on an entire generation of young fans due to the Withdean, so 10 years ago I rarely saw people my age at away games (I’m 27 now) and it’s the people who are 18-25 who are must likely to be enjoying that novelty of not going with parents and being able to legally buy booze/go to the pub at away games.

We moved in to the Amex 10 years ago. The kids who were 8/9/10 then are now old enough to be going to away games as young adults now, and rather than a gradual increase over the past few seasons they’ve ended up all going at the same time due to COVID.

However I’d say it’s us returning to the norm for most sets of away fans - until recently our fan base was disproportionately made up of families and people 60+ compared to most other teams.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here