Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Pat Nevin says Ukraine should be given a bye to the World Cup

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agree. It's a bit embarrassing how he finds anything hysterical.

Clinton Morrisson offers absolutely no insight. Talks fast and says 'ever so well'. That's about it.

Nevin, while has a brain, is a bit too full of himself imo.

Neville, Carragher, Murphy and even bloody Simon Jordan light years ahead but you can see the tactics and dynamics of the game seem to be moving even past their expertise at times. Like to hear their opinions though. Still enjoy the Man U old boys harking back to their times. It's over boys. Let it go. Or just go and watch Salford play.

Neville, Carra, Murphy, Souness, Jordan, Rio, plus radio visitors who are football writers for the broadsheets … I love their contributions. BT Sport on CL nights for a couple of years had Gerrard, Lampard and Rio, it was brilliant, their knowledge of football at the highest level shone through, even Jake Humphrey almost shut up.

Another clown is Darren Ambrose on talksport on Sundays. How the hell did he get a sustained gig?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I know Nevin is very different from your average footballer and has interesting taste in music etc. so we’ve all got to think he’s great but I groan whenever he’s on a radio show or podcast I listen to as he actually talks a lot of over excited shit about football.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Neville, Carra, Murphy, Souness, Jordan, Rio, plus radio visitors who are football writers for the broadsheets … I love their contributions. BT Sport on CL nights for a couple of years had Gerrard, Lampard and Rio, it was brilliant, their knowledge of football at the highest level shone through, even Jake Humphrey almost shut up.

Another clown is Darren Ambrose on talksport on Sundays. How the hell did he get a sustained gig?

Danny Murphy would've made an excellent manager IMO. Understated but with a calm authority. Succinct, eloquent and experienced, I can rarely disagree with his analysis. He's coining it on an easy gig, but he'd do well in the dugout if he ever fancied chancing it, IMO.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I know Nevin is very different from your average footballer and has interesting taste in music etc. so we’ve all got to think he’s great but I groan whenever he’s on a radio show or podcast I listen to as he actually talks a lot of over excited shit about football.

He’s more intelligent than the average ex player and is more arty, but he does suffer from the Chris Eubank Snr/Simon Jordan trait of trying too hard at showing off his knowledge of the dictionary. Plus there’s only so many times I want to hear the same titbits on how he was backstage with Aztec Camera or Orange Juice hours before playing a game.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
He’s more intelligent than the average ex player and is more arty, but he does suffer from the Chris Eubank Snr/Simon Jordan trait of trying too hard at showing off his knowledge of the dictionary. Plus there’s only so many times I want to hear the same titbits on how he was backstage with Aztec Camera or Orange Juice hours before playing a game.

Bang on WS!

He seems like a nice guy and around your Clinton Morrison’s obviously he comes across as bright but he gets shown up on podcasts like the Totally Football Show when the other guests are always more intelligent and witty than him. He’d be better off just going on music and art shows to be honest as his football knowledge is suprisingly poor yet he’s always treated with total deference as he reads broadsheets you know.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
I think Jim White said similar the other day, apparently Scotland and Wales "wouldn't mind Ukraine getting a free pass"

I can't stand Pat Nevin, irritating voice. 5 live really gone down hill the last couple of years, especially now they have thick as pig shit Clinton Morrison on nearly every week.
Clinton Morrison is far from thick. If you can get past him saying "to be fair" in every sentence he is one of the more astute co-commentators and is particularly insightful about forward play.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I’d do it, if only to make your average Russian on the street question why Ukraine has the full backing of the West!

In a way, I'd like that too - but in realistic terms I can't see it working. We couldn't just add an extra team in the finals, so presumably a team that had qualified would have to give up their place - and I can't see anyone volunteering to do that.
Having said that, I was always in favour of England boycotting the WC in Qatar - it should never have been awarded to Qatar in the first place - so I'd be fine with them taking our place. Can't see that happening either!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I’d do it, if only to make your average Russian on the street question why Ukraine has the full backing of the West!

The thing is that the average Russian doesnt see the West as some kind of holy entity as we do in the West, so whether Ukraine has the backing of the West probably isnt all that interesting or important. Its easy as a Westerner to believe that the whole world is stuck with its head up the Western arse just like us, but its not the case.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Clinton Morrison is far from thick. If you can get past him saying "to be fair" in every sentence he is one of the more astute co-commentators and is particularly insightful about forward play.

Yes, maybe.

But when assessing candidates to broadcast on national radio, you'd think employers would consider issues such as articulation and range of vocabulary.

Then again, we've had to endure Chris 'pelanty' Waddle for a while, so...

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
You have to say silly things on the radio to keep the gig on the radio. He's generated conversation, that's all he's there to do.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Just award them the cup, and we can be done with whole thing without any of tedious football stuff.

Well, yes, considering no-one has been very enthusiastic about it anyway. Winners all round. And we get spared the usual Quarter Final penalty wailing and sackcloth repentance.

Well done, Ukraine !

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
They're going to win Eurovision - that will have more eyes than the world cup anyway.

Yes, and I'm sad that Russia aren't in it. The UK will only be second last.

Hold on. Belarus will still give them points.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here