Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pat Jennings - Amazing one handed save

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
I'd never even considered that before! I was mildly shocked to say the least.

I couldn't play in goal without gloves, imagine in the winter!...ouch!, I think Jennings wore gloves towards the end off his career, Alex stepney on the other "hand", never wore gloves.

Jul 5, 2003
Jennings was, quite simply, the best keeper in the world, ever! I can't remember any keeper before, or after, regularly catching the ball with one hand. He was unflappable on crosses, pioneered saving using legs. Wasn't scared to leave his six yard box and his reflexes were on a par with Gordon Banks'. As for the transfer to Arsenal, I'm convinced that was a setup. His fellow, Northern Irish, manager Terry Neil left Spurs and went back to Arsenal (for whom he was previously a player). Very soon afterwards Jennings left Spurs for Arsenal. I'm sure that Neil had the transfer set up before switching clubs and the unfortunate Keith Burkinshaw was left to take the blame. I was very upset with Jennings at the time (Spurs were the first team I ever watched before moving to Sussex) but I've almost forgiven him now!!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's strange how we have a few vintage Arsenal threads going, and none of our new 'friends' have joined in.

Maybe they've stood too close to a radiator! :whistle:

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
One of the best from a great era of goalkeepers - Shilton, Jennings, Clemence, Corrigan, Banks... Why can't we produce good goalies in this country anymore? Think of some of the awful ones that have played for England in recent years...

Pat Jennings was Irish and played for Northern Ireland.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Pat Jennings was Irish and played for Northern Ireland.

Northern Ireland is 'our country' (contentious!) - I just meant home-bred goalkeepers, decent ones seem to be a rarity these days. How did Scott Carsen ever get to play for England?!

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I would think as any player as your last line of defence you need a cool calm character,not some mouthy guy telling the back four you have made a mistake. Therefore Pat Jennings is my number 1. Banks was class,but i don't think he 'bossed' his area as good as Big Pat.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Jennings was, quite simply, the best keeper in the world, ever! I can't remember any keeper before, or after, regularly catching the ball with one hand. He was unflappable on crosses, pioneered saving using legs. Wasn't scared to leave his six yard box and his reflexes were on a par with Gordon Banks'. As for the transfer to Arsenal, I'm convinced that was a setup. His fellow, Northern Irish, manager Terry Neil left Spurs and went back to Arsenal (for whom he was previously a player). Very soon afterwards Jennings left Spurs for Arsenal. I'm sure that Neil had the transfer set up before switching clubs and the unfortunate Keith Burkinshaw was left to take the blame. I was very upset with Jennings at the time (Spurs were the first team I ever watched before moving to Sussex) but I've almost forgiven him now!!!

This (even down to the last sentence).

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Before his time (unless you spotted him). I spotted Mike bailey of Wolves, terrific captain and player but managed a very dull Albion.

Are you sure? Listen to the commentary for the Spurs v Chelsea game at about 18 seconds. Cross comes in from the left and Maybank is mentioned before it comes out to right for another cross. He played for chelsea as far back at 1975 (Youtube clip v Carlisle when he scored twice).

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Are you sure? Listen to the commentary for the Spurs v Chelsea game at about 18 seconds. Cross comes in from the left and Maybank is mentioned before it comes out to right for another cross. He played for chelsea as far back at 1975 (Youtube clip v Carlisle when he scored twice).

If that what it says then well spotted. A fine excuse to watch the clip again!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here