Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Passport Renewal?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I would willingly sell my soul for an EU passport!
We already tried that.

No you didn't, you had one and traded yours for these :dunce:

beans.jpg

Last edited:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
It's really frustrating that Brits cannot go to embassies and get passports like other nations can. The wife renewed a while back and I had to collect it in London. On top of this, she was advised to lie (state she was a UK resident and provide her home address) on her application to be able to use the service at Victoria. We kept the email evidence of this advice in case on any issues. The service might work well for most people but it falls over for 'edge' cases.
100% this. I’m having to do the one-day express service next Monday, as I live in Dubai and even the one week service would be risky, as I’m rarely in the UK for more than brief visits. But to ‘qualify’, you have to pretend to be a UK resident not just a UK citizen, which seems unnecessary.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes, whilst abroad as @dazzer6666 mentioned. I also cannot do the service in London either as I don't live in the UK and you need to be living in the UK to access the service.
Well, after advice from the Home Office to lie, we did and the wife got hers in London. Here's the story

1) Berlin based wife needed her passport renewed but could not pick one up at the embassy nor use the postal service at it was estimated to take up to 5 weeks. She wrote an email to the passport office asking about options. They suggested using the london premium service. She wrote back explaining she could not as the very first question on the online application is 'Do you live in the UK' and answering no shows a message saying the service is only for UK residents. The application also asks for your home address. Due to it being a simple renewal we were advised to say yes and add an address. We did this and obtained the passport no problem....I also took all the correspondance just in case.

It's a bizarre service. I also had dealings with the home office during corona about international travel for my father's funeral. This was even more bizarre. We ended up getting written instruction from the Berlin Embassy as the UK home office seemed staffed by complete idiots who at one point were threatening to arrest and detain the wife.

The home office seems to be the most shambolic, at times surreal, but ultimately damaging, governmental office there is. To be honest, our issues were modest compared to some; I really do empathise with anyone who needs them for help with major stuff. I recall @TWOCHOICEStom and his wife have an awful story. He has posted all the details on here so I hope he does not mind me mentioing it. The more awarness about this shitty office the better I feel.

Last edited:

Thankfully still 4 more years til I have to get that blue shit thing

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
You can make appointments in one of their passport offices
The appointments get loaded at random points during the day so keep refreshing. Otherwise you get left with slots in Glasgow and Northern Ireland.
Also, when a slot randomly becomes available you need all the information ready and to hand - old passport details, photos in the right format ready to upload before it times out, etc

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Has anyone recently renewed their passport? If so, how long did it take to get back?

They aren't taking express applications at the moment, which is annoying as I am only in the UK for 4 weeks.

Thanks!
About 5 minutes online. About a week to receive it. I did it all digitally.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Well, after advice from the Home Office to lie, we did and the wife got hers in London. Here's the story

1) Berlin based wife needed her passport renewed but could not pick one up at the embassy nor use the postal service at it was estimated to take up to 5 weeks. She wrote an email to the passport office asking about options. They suggested using the london premium service. She wrote back explaining she could not as the very first question on the online application is 'Do you live in the UK' and answering no shows a message saying the service is only for UK residents. The application also asks for your home address. Due to it being a simple renewal we were advised to say yes and add an address. We did this and obtained the passport no problem....I also took all the correspondance just in case.

It's a bizarre service. I also had dealings with the home office during corona about international travel for my father's funeral. This was even more bizarre. We ended up getting written instruction from the Berlin Embassy as the UK home office seemed staffed by complete idiots who at one point were threatening to arrest and detain the wife.

The home office seems to be the most shambolic, at times surreal, but ultimately damaging, governmental office there is. To be honest, our issues were modest compared to some; I really do empathise with anyone who needs them for help with major stuff. I recall @TWOCHOICEStom and his wife have an awful story. He has posted all the details on here so I hope he does not mind me mentioing it. The more awarness about this shitty office the better I feel.
I wasn't aware the express service isn't 'technically' available for non residents. It's not an issue I'll be concerned about until 2027 but good to know and possibly act accordingly. Given the current administration, being officially advised to lie shouldn't really come as a shock. I used the postal option from DE last time and crossed fingers it wasn't needed in an emergency. As it panned out from posting at Deutsche Post to return was just under three weeks. The return was meant to be 'signed for' courier delivery which came at a cost. I returned home one day to find the new one dumped in the mailbox!

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I wasn't aware the express service isn't 'technically' available for non residents. It's not an issue I'll be concerned about until 2027 but good to know and possibly act accordingly. Given the current administration, being officially advised to lie shouldn't really come as a shock. I used the postal option from DE last time and crossed fingers it wasn't needed in an emergency. As it panned out from posting at Deutsche Post to return was just under three weeks. The return was meant to be 'signed for' courier delivery which came at a cost. I returned home one day to find the new one dumped in the mailbox!
Hopefully things will improve by 2027!

I plan to apply for a German passport once the dual-nationality laws change which is hopefully this year.

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
In the end, got my done about a month ago. Went up to London, handed my document in, they processed it, and got it within a week. Not sure if it was quicker than it would have been doing it the usual way, but they guarantee it will be quick.

Good luck everyone who is renewing it/applying soon!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here