Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Passenger protest against Southern Trains

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I have probably missed something here, but aren't Southern wanting to remove guards from trains, as is their right as an employer? However, the union is saying they don't want this to happen so are refusing to work for long periods of time knowing how much this is going to disrupt innocent people?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I dont use trains but would you not be better blocking the ticket barriers so nobody can get on and the trajn runs empty but lije everything it needs to be done at every station or it will fail. Just a thought could you not surround the RMT pickets to make them less effective as surely they are the major cause of the problem.

Problem is plenty of commuters have already lost their jobs or been forced into a change of job already, unfair on the people who are suffering the most from this.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I havent read it because it will be loaded by the likes of Ernest who are anti anything that most want and see as sensible. I would prefer somebody to list the reasons for the dispute and the major arguments for and against without political bias, just facts.

Ignore Ernest and just read Deadly Danson's posts. He knows exactly what he is talking about. I've learned a lot about the dispute from him.
Then take into account that Southern Rail also want to close the ticket offices, and have peed off the other two rail unions besides the RMT.

Oh, and Wookie, I can't get a train from here as they've all been cancelled.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ignore Ernest and just read Deadly Danson's posts. He knows exactly what he is talking about. I've learned a lot about the dispute from him.
Then take into account that Southern Rail also want to close the ticket offices, and have peed off the other two rail unions besides the RMT.

Oh, and Wookie, I can't get a train from here as they've all been cancelled.
This.

DanRedman

Mar 18, 2014
Time to put pressure on our local MPs to fight the case in parliament, as well as continued pressure on the national government. Forget Southern, they haven't given a pigs ear what their customers do or say

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Time to put pressure on our local MPs to fight the case in parliament, as well as continued pressure on the national government. Forget Southern, they haven't given a pigs ear what their customers do or say

To be fair, Maria Caulfield has already been putting pressure on. She got involved in the Seaford train meeting, the problems the disabled had getting on the replacement bus service and has been to several meetings in Westminster.
Peter Kyle has also been involved as has Caroline Lucas.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I have probably missed something here, but aren't Southern wanting to remove guards from trains, as is their right as an employer? However, the union is saying they don't want this to happen so are refusing to work for long periods of time knowing how much this is going to disrupt innocent people?

that would be one way of looking at it, except they dont want to remove the guards but change their role to remove their involvement in train dispatch.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
To be fair, Maria Caulfield has already been putting pressure on. She got involved in the Seaford train meeting, the problems the disabled had getting on the replacement bus service and has been to several meetings in Westminster.
Peter Kyle has also been involved as has Caroline Lucas.

What about old Soames? Haywards Heath is absolute commutersville. Surely he must have taken an interest.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Any direct action should be aimed at DafT. People like Peter Wilkinson need to be shit right up if protests get a bit too close to home. Him and his department won't give a monkeys about protests at Victoria, Brighton, etc. Southern are just the patsies for the government, so if you want anything done, you will need to scare them instead.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Fatty Soames won't inwardly give a toss. Outwardly he might make a couple of grunts about inconveniencing commuters, but if you're going to find someone towing the Tory line, he'll be close to the top of the list.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Fatty Soames won't inwardly give a toss. Outwardly he might make a couple of grunts about inconveniencing commuters, but if you're going to find someone towing the Tory line, he'll be close to the top of the list.

This. Must be 000s of commuters on his patch (H Heath, Burgess Hill) but not much of a squeak from the lardy one.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I'll gladly join any organised protest against this bunch of incompetents.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I havent read it because it will be loaded by the likes of Ernest who are anti anything that most want and see as sensible. I would prefer somebody to list the reasons for the dispute and the major arguments for and against without political bias, just facts.

Good luck with that on here :)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Worth contacting the DfT and telling them in strictest terms as commuters we realise that it is you, the department for transport, that is massively causing the problems with Southern too. We won't forget it come the next election etc either.

https://forms.dft.gov.uk/contact-dft-and-agencies/

Oh, it will be totally forgotten by the next election. As I posted last week, one of the reasons that the government is pursuing this policy is it knows there's no electoral comeback. Some people will blame the unions and even if the majority blame the government, most of the seats are such stonking Tory majorities, they're happy to lose a few hundred votes here and there.

If SASTA was operating in a region full of marginal seats, the government would have a different response

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here