Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Pascal Gross - we thank you

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
A great player for the club. Without him assisting Murray in our first PL season we would not be where we are today.

A fantastic signing and a cult hero as another poster rightly said.

Those Cruyff turns are a joy to behold. To paraphrase Chris Waddle - you only need one trick to make it as a footballer.

Will always remember Glenn Murray being interviewed and being asked the question, to what to you attribute your goals this season. His reply was, Pascal Gross.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Just another moderately-talented player just passing through. Are you his dad or agent or sonwthing? :moo:

Fair enough, he has made up the numbers for a little while but we would probably have down in that first season, without him. He set up Murray many times (see cowfold seagull post) and scored a load himself.
It’s a shame he didn’t have a target man to pick out, post Murray.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A wonderful time wasting shot near the end last night, with the ball squirming out for a throw in the NE corner.

:lolol:

Can I borrow your pair of these?

rose-coloured-glasses_770-720x379.jpg

zeemeeuw

Apr 8, 2006
Somerset
I have no idea if this is the last few months of his time with us but whenever he does leave, the media department need to go through every game he's played and make the definitive compilation of every single one of his Gross turns. That would be the very least he deserves.

We'd watch that video and even though we'd know what was coming next, for some strange reason, every turn would come as a surprise to us.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Lady Gall thinks that if his time is up with the Albion he could do a (his) turn on Strictly Come Dancing - whatever that is.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If it is a farewell from Pascal this year, and I like to think not, but suspect it is, I'll remember him as one of the very few rays of light, when we first made the Premier and had our backs to the wall for the first couple of seasons.

An absolute bargain and legend :thumbsup:

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
What a stupid "look at me thread" - of course he's leaving in the summer. His time was up a couple seasons back.

Embarrassing post by thread starter.
The irony in this post, as you embarrass yourself yet again.

Pascal has been a magnificent player in the stripes, and was one of the main contributors to our fantastic start this season. Still plenty to offer us as a squad player, but now he's 30 I could see him leaving if he wanted a move to somewhere he'd be in the starting 11 for the next few years.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Just another moderately-talented player just passing through. Are you his dad or agent or sonwthing? :moo:

Christ alive. In the pantheon of players to have donned the stripes, PG is right up there in terms of talent (and delivery). If he is 'moderately-talented' in your eyes, I dread to think how you'd categorise some of the 90/00s lot!

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
If it is a farewell from Pascal this year, and I like to think not, but suspect it is, I'll remember him as one of the very few rays of light, when we first made the Premier and had our backs to the wall for the first couple of seasons.

An absolute bargain and legend :thumbsup:

What was it we paid for him? £3 million or thereabouts? Given his number of appearances, assists and occasional goals, that is an absolute bargain. Worth every penny. Will always be a club legend for his hand in acclimatising the club to Premier League life.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Quality player.

I'm not totally convinced he's leaving. It depends on a lot of stuff. We could be getting bids for other midfielders near the end of contract.

Recent events have shown the value of the squad and dependable players will always be worth having.

We may offer him a contract extension

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
The irony in this post, as you embarrass yourself yet again.

Pascal has been a magnificent player in the stripes, and was one of the main contributors to our fantastic start this season. Still plenty to offer us as a squad player, but now he's 30 I could see him leaving if he wanted a move to somewhere he'd be in the starting 11 for the next few years.

The only embarrassment in this thread is the OP, pal.

What a signing and what a player he has been for the Albion. And he still has something to contribute as part of a squad.

But we were quicker in transition yesterday without him starting and I've felt he is less central to our plans this season.

Might we be seeing the end of his time at the Albion? Contract expires in the Summer, could start looking in January and I can't see us breaking the bank to keep him given the number of players competing for the midfield roles.

I have loved watching Pascal play. What a talent. Thanks for all those Gross Turns.

Yep the uncomfortable truth is a lot of the Hughton mainstays were quietly pushed out by Potter because he didn't a repeat of those last 5 months Hughton had and that's Potter being smart. Gross was one of those he managed a revival for - might still have a role on the bench

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
I’d give him another year. As this winter has shown the squad is important and he can play a number of positions. Given he has never had pace it’s not something he can lose so she shouldn’t matter too much.

Easy to say go get someone else but try and find another 30 year old who has as many PL goals and assists as he does and would be available; it wouldn’t be easy.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A fantastic first season or two, the best £3m we ever spent.

But I felt we were increasingly so one paced and predictable with Gross, Montoya and Propper in the team.

With the others eased out of the first team, the Gross renaissance was on, a class operator.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I can't read your posts because, as you know, I have you on ignore [MENTION=17254]Solid at the back[/MENTION]

But you seem very interested in this thread. I assume it's because you too want to celebrate PG's contribution to our great club. It's nice to know we agree on something.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Christ alive. In the pantheon of players to have donned the stripes, PG is right up there in terms of talent (and delivery). If he is 'moderately-talented' in your eyes, I dread to think how you'd categorise some of the 90/00s lot!

If Pascal had a yard (maybe two) of pace he’d have 60 caps for Germany and be playing for Liverpool. £3m got us PL creativity and a large dollop of PL survival. A brilliant player for us but there are now other brilliant footballers in our squad

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here