Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Pascal Groß interview in Suddeutsche Zeitung

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Really good read, both in terms of the Albion and his role for Germany.

On his future: "I don't have in mind that I have to end my career in Brighton. However, for me now - because of my family - more depends on a transfer than before. Basically, it is conceivable for me to return to Germany. I follow the Bundesliga and find it an interesting league with great clubs - even if the Premier League overall has the better individual players. However, it should be a project that really appeals to me."

On his first few seasons: "The first two years after the promotion were difficult because it was all about the preservation of the league. The difference in quality was big, and we played an old English football that I couldn't imagine anymore (laughs).".

On Albion selling players: "Surely we could have been dangerous to the top clubs with the players mentioned and our current coach Roberto De Zerbi."

On playing for Roberto De Zerbi: "It's about small details. I feel like I'm in a football school under him, I learn every day."

On being a leader: "When I came to England, it was all about football for me. Then I have increasingly grown into a leadership role in which I not only focused on my own performance, but also tried to help my teammates and the team."

On his love of football: "I never have to say to myself: "Come now, training tomorrow is important!" - because I'm looking forward to it anyway. I am really grateful every day that I can play football. Even if I hadn't become a professional, I would kick now, just in the district league. Football doesn't feel like work, I've always dreamed of it."

On being called up by Germany: "For me, the nomination was the most beautiful and greatest thing that has ever happened to me as a footballer. It was my lifelong dream to represent my country. The call of the national coach was indescribable. I was also a bit overwhelmed because I couldn't believe it. My hope became smaller from year to year, but one last spark had always been there."

Use your browser auto-translate button: https://archive.ph/R1Qhh

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
When the time comes, this will be far worse than the previously-mooted Grexit.

Nervous The Big Bang Theory GIF

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Agreed with others,... virtually impossible to replace him, versatile, flexible, intelligent, likeable.... his PL stats stand up with some of the best in this league.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Really good read, both in terms of the Albion and his role for Germany.

On his future: "I don't have in mind that I have to end my career in Brighton. However, for me now - because of my family - more depends on a transfer than before. Basically, it is conceivable for me to return to Germany. I follow the Bundesliga and find it an interesting league with great clubs - even if the Premier League overall has the better individual players. However, it should be a project that really appeals to me."

On his first few seasons: "The first two years after the promotion were difficult because it was all about the preservation of the league. The difference in quality was big, and we played an old English football that I couldn't imagine anymore (laughs).".

On Albion selling players: "Surely we could have been dangerous to the top clubs with the players mentioned and our current coach Roberto De Zerbi."

On playing for Roberto De Zerbi: "It's about small details. I feel like I'm in a football school under him, I learn every day."

On being a leader: "When I came to England, it was all about football for me. Then I have increasingly grown into a leadership role in which I not only focused on my own performance, but also tried to help my teammates and the team."

On his love of football: "I never have to say to myself: "Come now, training tomorrow is important!" - because I'm looking forward to it anyway. I am really grateful every day that I can play football. Even if I hadn't become a professional, I would kick now, just in the district league. Football doesn't feel like work, I've always dreamed of it."

On being called up by Germany: "For me, the nomination was the most beautiful and greatest thing that has ever happened to me as a footballer. It was my lifelong dream to represent my country. The call of the national coach was indescribable. I was also a bit overwhelmed because I couldn't believe it. My hope became smaller from year to year, but one last spark had always been there."

Use your browser auto-translate button: https://archive.ph/R1Qhh
So, does that mean he wants to return to Germany sooner rather than later? And what of his family - are they still in Germany, wanting him back, or are they wanting to return home too?

More succinctly - when's his contract up?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
He’s such a credit to himself and the club.

I’ve said it before but I can’t think of another player in this country who has kicked on so much after they turned 30. Obviously always a good player but his improvement over the last few years has been phenomenal and moved his game to another level. The only player I can think of who improved so much at a later age was Pirlo and that was more to do with a change of position.

As already said, impossible to replace.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
So, does that mean he wants to return to Germany sooner rather than later? And what of his family - are they still in Germany, wanting him back, or are they wanting to return home too?

More succinctly - when's his contract up?
End of next season, I think. He won't stay beyond that. So it's 15 months, basically.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
He’s such a credit to himself and the club.

I’ve said it before but I can’t think of another player in this country who has kicked on so much after they turned 30. Obviously always a good player but his improvement over the last few years has been phenomenal and moved his game to another level. The only player I can think of who improved so much at a later age was Pirlo and that was more to do with a change if position.

As already said, impossible to replace.
I half agree. But I think it has mostly been the style of play of Hughton v Potter v RDZ. He got better at each level after Potter and then RDZ. Our style allows him to show what he can do with the ball. Under Hughton he was playing a long way further back for the first two seasons in the premier league.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
It’s easy to forget that there was a period a couple of years ago when he seemed to be on the fringes, and not one of the first names on the team sheet (along with Dunk) that he is now. As well as his ability, his character is superb.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I half agree. But I think it has mostly been the style of play of Hughton v Potter v RDZ. He got better at each level after Potter and then RDZ. Our style allows him to show what he can do with the ball. Under Hughton he was playing a long way further back for the first two seasons in the premier league.

Wasn’t it Stephens and Propper who sat deep, Gross operated behind our lone forward?

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
I'm so appreciative of his time here.
He's been so influential, when he goes I don't think we'll find a player quite like him again, if ever.
I can't help but feel man love for him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here