Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Partial Bands

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If it's me and yer granny on bongos, it's the Fall.

Mark E. Smith

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
To me, this is when they stopped being the Human League. I loved them when Martyn Ware and Ian Craig Marsh (who started the band - Oakey joined later) were there, before the bust up that led these two to form Heaven 17.

I quite like the incarnation you mention, but they, sort of, nicked the name!

They really were great fun and, apart from Feargal, never took themselves too seriously.

The O'Neill brothers could certainly write a tune or 6 and, given their upbringing in Derry, I can't recall any of their songs referring to The Troubles; they were mostly about teenage angst and boy meets girl stuff which resonated with this 16 year old in 1980.

I played Tearproof after posting last night and all the memories came flooding back. It still sounds as good as it did back then which is a testimony to their skilful song writing. I love them to bits!

Something has been bothering me.
My Perfect Cousin by The Undertones, Kevin’s mother bought him a synthesiser but which version of The Human League did she get in to advise her? ??? :D

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
Something has been bothering me.
My Perfect Cousin by The Undertones, Kevin’s mother bought him a synthesiser but which version of The Human League did she get in to advise her? ??? :D

The original line up.

My Perfect Cousin was recorded in 1979 and released the following year. The original Human League split towards the end of 1980.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
A letter in Viz once argued the case for Paul and Ringo to replace The Who's deceased rhythm section. To be renamed The Bho or The Whotles.

Thats about as far as the conversation needs to go.
Absolutely agree. Lennon and Harrison linked up with Moon and Entwistle might have been a tad interesting - but yes, neither amalgamations would have been a patch on The Beatles or The Who though.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Can NSC settle a pub argument please 😂

When is a band not a band?

Do Roger Daltrey and Pete Townsend represent a Who gig?

But if Paul and Ringo played with a backing band would you call that The Beatles?

Do only 2 of the original Stones still carry the same gravitas?

Can Mike Love and a stage of session musicians really call themselves The Beach Boys and charge £80 at the Brighton Centre?

Or is life too short, and everyone deserves to make a living? ❤️
yes yes, it depends which two no

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Can NSC settle a pub argument please 😂

When is a band not a band?

Do Roger Daltrey and Pete Townsend represent a Who gig?

But if Paul and Ringo played with a backing band would you call that The Beatles?

Do only 2 of the original Stones still carry the same gravitas?

Can Mike Love and a stage of session musicians really call themselves The Beach Boys and charge £80 at the Brighton Centre?

Or is life too short, and everyone deserves to make a living? ❤️
Kind of depends what the reduced members contribution to the original band was.

Last Friday I saw Level 42 in Hastings who had Mark King and Mike Lindup. Obviously, King's bass was a huge part of their sound and similarly vocal wise the combination of King's baritone and Lindup's falsetto whilst on keyboards was a major feature. Accordingly, quite entitled to call themselves Level 42.

By a complete contrast I'm off to see Saxon next Sunday and my god how much did squabbling in the courts about band name ownership potentially hamper their career?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
If long established, when the Lead singer goes. Everyone else can be replaced really. But there’s only 1 freddie, 1 Ian Curtis etc
AC/DC whilst not my rock ' cup of tea' one of the exceptions where a highly respected singer's replacement arguably took them on the even greater commercial success

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Fact : There have been 164 Four Tops and 213 Temptations.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
ABBA were never the same after Bjorn and Benny quit the band and were replaced by Sven and Dirk. The hits really dried up for ASDA

Fozzyboy

Jul 5, 2011
Worthing
I think what I find funny is when they announce a band with the lead singer & the band........ UB40 featuring Ali Campbell. Whats that all about? Doesn't that count as UB40?

Oasis may get back together but it will only be Noel & Liam which doesn't count as back in the mid 90's all of them played a part.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
AC/DC whilst not my rock ' cup of tea' one of the exceptions where a highly respected singer's replacement arguably took them on the even greater commercial success
Bon Scott was also a great lyricist so it wasn’t just a singer they lost.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here