[Music] Partial Bands

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is one of the least troubling questions that has ever failed to cross my mind.

Whenever I see a new release or gig by a band from the past I check to see who is in the lineup. If I like what I see I may explore further.

For those with strong views about this in the wider context (of being Right or making A Point) then I think the correct answer is whoever shouts loudest wins. (But only in their own mind).

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I saw this version of Bucks Fizz in the Frontier Club, Batley in the late '90s. A magical evening.

I saw them at Pontins, Camber Sands, in 1999 (on a Sun holiday with the kids), I missed Micky's first game at Gillingham, the Blue Coat gave them this big build up but the 600 strong crowd seemed somewhat underwhelmed.

That holiday was a bit on an eye opener to be honest, I'd always considered myself working class, but 6 hours in there I thought I was from the House of Windsor.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Absolutely this. I'm a huge Queen fan and, although we didn't know it at the time, I was at the last live gig Queen did with Freddie and don't want to sully that memory.

I will never go and see Roger, Brian and some other blokes performing Queen songs. Only half the original band are involved so it's not Queen, and they've got a bloody cheek calling themselves that.

Which was my original point, having seen Queen at Maine Road in 1986, neither Paul Rogers (ex Free rather than Sheff Utd) and Adam Lambert (talent show winner) get anywhere near Freddie.

So is it classed as Queen, or is it multi millionaires Brian May and Roger Taylor squeezing a few more quid out of the general public?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Saw the Ruts DC at Jenkinsons , wasn't a great evening . Haven't listened to a single " Stranglers " track since Hugh Cornwell's departure

Quite. I was lucky enough to see the original Ruts at the Nashville in Fulham so I gave the Jenkinsons gig, post Malcolm, a swerve.

I saw a version of the Stranglers (with three original members) about 20 years ago, and I saw Cornwall solo a while later and could happily have swerved both.

But I have seen multiple incarnations of Caravan and by far the best (live) was the one with Dougie Boyle on guitar. He joined 30 years after the first album was recorded.

All that said, I suspect the OP might like to qualify his question by adding that he's referring to a band that was at one point MASSIVE (in reality or in his mind, doesn't matter) with PIVOTAL members who, if replaced would instantly render the whole thing silly. With that in mind the correct answer is that if sufficient pivotal members are missing, making the whole thing silly, then the whole thing would be silly. Fact.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Quite. I was lucky enough to see the original Ruts at the Nashville in Fulham so I gave the Jenkinsons gig, post Malcolm, a swerve.

I saw a version of the Stranglers (with three original members) about 20 years ago, and I saw Cornwall solo a while later and could happily have swerved both.

But I have seen multiple incarnations of Caravan and by far the best (live) was the one with Dougie Boyle on guitar. He joined 30 years after the first album was recorded.

All that said, I suspect the OP might like to qualify his question by adding that he's referring to a band that was at one point MASSIVE (in reality or in his mind, doesn't matter) with PIVOTAL members who, if replaced would instantly render the whole thing silly. With that in mind the correct answer is that if sufficient pivotal members are missing, making the whole thing silly, then the whole thing would be silly. Fact.

Harry, we were in the office talking about bands (and specifically rising ticket prices) i just thought I'd put it out there. Personally I've grown to love the Beach Boys over the last few years but as previously stated wouldn't pay £80 to see Mike Love and his backing band, however if offered a ticket for the Stones 60th anniversary tour will go.

Each to their own old love.

Hopefully see you at the Goldstone 25th dinner?

PS At least Steps have stayed intact?

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
And then of course you have the curious case of Japan, who reformed in 1991, but called themselves Rain Tree Crow to distance their new stuff from the old.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Which was my original point, having seen Queen at Maine Road in 1986, neither Paul Rogers (ex Free rather than Sheff Utd) and Adam Lambert (talent show winner) get anywhere near Freddie.

So is it classed as Queen, or is it multi millionaires Brian May and Roger Taylor squeezing a few more quid out of the general public?

I'm biased, but definitely the latter as far as I am concerned.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Great thread. I think what we're talking about here is the soul of the band, the USP, the essence, the DNA.

Take The Human League: for me, it is all about Oakey and the two backing singers Joanna and Susan harmonising. Lose any of those 3 and you've crossed a line.

With AC/DC they lost Bon Scott but replaced him with the similar Brian Johnson. Smart move, as Angus Young's guitar and Johnson's loud vocals preserved their DNA of hard, driving power rock.

With Status Quo it is Parfitt and Rossi - anything else is a different animal.

Some bands you can't change - Rush is one of those. Peart, Lifeson, Lee - the perfect trio.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Great thread. I think what we're talking about here is the soul of the band, the USP, the essence, the DNA.

Take The Human League: for me, it is all about Oakey and the two backing singers Joanna and Susan harmonising. Lose any of those 3 and you've crossed a line.

With AC/DC they lost Bon Scott but replaced him with the similar Brian Johnson. Smart move, as Angus Young's guitar and Johnson's loud vocals preserved their DNA of hard, driving power rock.

Some bands you can't change - Rush is one of those. Peart, Lifeson, Lee - the perfect trio.

To me, this is when they stopped being the Human League. I loved them when Martyn Ware and Ian Craig Marsh (who started the band - Oakey joined later) were there, before the bust up that led these two to form Heaven 17.

I quite like the incarnation you mention, but they, sort of, nicked the name!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

As has already been pointed out, your comment about Human League is questionable. I’d also say that Bon Scott is very different, both vocally and especially lyrically, than Brian Johnson. There’s a certain wit and cleverness to Scott’s lyrics which Johnson has never had.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Anyone seen The Undertones without Fergal?
I know they played in Brighton recently.

Yes. Don't bother.

I only went because Neville Staple (ex Specials. Yes I know, but he is very good and have gone to see him loads of times) was supporting.

Jul 7, 2003

I saw a few incarnations of Quo but the Parfitt & Rossi combo were the heart of it no matter what Alan Lancaster would have said. I saw the version without Rick that played Brighton just before his death and it was nowhere near the same, just felt like I was watching a covers band.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The B52s carried on to great effect after Ricky Wilson's death.

I have seen them play without Keith Strickland and separately without Cindy Wilson.
Both times were (nearly) as good as seeing the 4 remaining members together.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
I don’t think I could name a Stranglers track since Hugh left.

Not many 'casual' Stranglers fans could name a song after Golden Brown

And Hugh left 8 years after that came out

Like most bands it's a downward spiral from their early stuff

The Stranglers released Dark Matters last year and considering it's well over 40 years since their 1st,it's very respectable

They have just finished a UK tour,which was a 'final' tour as a tribute to Dave Greenfield, endorsed by his wife

Very polished and professional, very emotional for 'hardcore' Stranglers fans

Actually probably more professional than the Mk1 version

But that is by no means to say it was better,Mk1 gigs were all rawness and attitude

I abandoned the Stranglers myself when Hugh left,it took me 20 years to go and see them again

Baz Warne has actually been in the Stranglers longer than Hugh

Hugh has been absent longer now,than he was actually in the band

Sorry about the rant,but the Stranglers for me are up there with Brighton & Hove Albion

The only 2 things that mattered to me for many years was

Brighton's fixture list & Ths Stranglers tour dates

The debate of whether they still are 'The Stranglers' has and continues to be done to death on a Stranglers forum

Each case is different with many histrionics

I think you need to be attached emotionally to a band,to have some sense of what has gone on

And for that reason,I wouldn't even to begin to question other people's loyalty to other bands

Again,sorry for the rant

Up the Albion & long live The Stranglers !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports