[Travel] Parking on the pavement

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
In Brighton and Hove, you absolutely can be ticketed by the regular Wardens for parking on zig zags, or on the pavement next to them. It's a code 99. It changed at some point probably almost 15 years ago to allow the Wardens to be able to issue the ticket. No 5 minute waiting period that there is on yellow lines, it's as fast as the Warden can compute and print the ticket.

It's not an appropriate place to park, although if it's a Luton van I assume that some heavy duty loading/unloading was occurring. Not good for a business which is being blocked in, but sometimes there's nowhere better for them to park up.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
#statbrother
As I've also said before, I'd be the first in line to turn Kings Road into a pedestrian road, but where do you put cars driving through or into town. I also said the cycle lane guy was brain dead and within hours I was proved right. My point here was merely the loophole in the law regarding parking on the pavement with white zig zag lines on the road. If you're ever on the seafront drop me a pm, I'd love to have a chat. I accept cyclists, pedestrian s and cars have to share a space, just keep it safe.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
#statbrother
As I've also said before, I'd be the first in line to turn Kings Road into a pedestrian road, but where do you put cars driving through or into town. I also said the cycle lane guy was brain dead and within hours I was proved right. My point here was merely the loophole in the law regarding parking on the pavement with white zig zag lines on the road. If you're ever on the seafront drop me a pm, I'd love to have a chat. I accept cyclists, pedestrian s and cars have to share a space, just keep it safe.

Kings road should be padestrianised, like the North Laines and central Shoreham . . . . key being deliveries and gooods only between stipulated times . . .

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
spray the van with brake fluid. 5 minute job.

this is why everywhere is littered with bollards now, too many people seem content on being extremely lazy, selfish, a right royal pain in the arse and screw the majority.
Yes. Break the law ! The bigger the crime and longer the sentence the better.

*snigger*

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Kings road should be padestrianised, like the North Laines and central Shoreham . . . . key being deliveries and gooods only between stipulated times . . .

Brighton should be pedestrianised from the station left to London road, down to the pier, along to West St then back to the station, from 8 till late.
Shuttle buses should be almost continuously run in a figure of eight in the centre of the road.

Having cars in the likes of Bond St, Ship St and Trafalar Rd (yes I do have Brighton in Goggle maps open) is insane.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How incredibly true. Only Monday I was happily strolling to the pub with my pal on my way to have my first cask beer in months so nothing could sour my mood.....or so I thought. Some prick on a bike rode up behind us and had the cheek to ring his bell as if we as pedestrians were in the wrong getting in his way.

And teachers get too many holidays.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Okay, I'll bite.

This group 'drivers'. Which I presume is self-inclusive ???.

Your point is akin to saying a cyclists ignore traffic light signals when in fact it is only a small number proportionally who do so.

Why try to derail the fair points in this discussion with another cyclist/driver debate when that was not the issue?

Because that is his M.O.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Yep ... I had an incident in Shoreham High Street this morning as I was heading for my post lockdown haircut.

I was almost at the barbers when I saw two ladies approaching from the opposite direction. The pavement was narrowed as the front of Piston Broke pub had it's frontage taped off due to some work being carried out. As I have done on so many occasions the last 12 months, I stood to one side (one foot on the road) to allow the two ladies to pass - respecting social distancing. The two ladies both smiled and said thank you ... all good up to now! When they'd passed, I went to stand fully back on the pavement to continue the few yards to the barbers ... only to find a bloke (mid 30s maybe) on his bike on the pavement trying to squeeze past me ... with no distancing whatsoever.

I asked him politely why does he feel the need to cycle on the pavement. His response ... it's too dangerous to ride on the road!!! He really wasn't very happy that I'd called him out. I am a cyclist ... and I cycle along Shoreham High Street frequently. I don't enjoy cycling on the road - but I would never do so on a pavement - and it really peeves me when I come across people like that who live in there own selfish little world.

Back to the OP and parking on a pavement at a zig zag. A while back I was in my car and approaching a crossing. A pub next to the crossing was being refurbished and a big works vehicle was parked half on the road and walk on the pavement ... on the zig zag lines right by the crossing itself. As I got very close to the crossing I could see an elderly lady on her mobility scooter slowly edging out to cross on the crossing ... I say slowly as she couldn't see past the vehicle! I pulled into a car park close by to try and find the driver and explain the problem he was causing. No one seemed to know where the driver was and so I called the number on the vehicle. Got to speak to a director of a company to explain that one of their vehicles was parked illegally and in a very dangerous position - the response being "maybe they couldn't find anywhere else to park that was close by"!! I said that if the vehicle wasn't removed in 5 minutes I would call the police. The director said, "you do what you have to do" and put the phone down on me!

One thing you can do is take a photo and report via Operation Crackdown. I have done this on a few occasions ... only when I believe the situation to be dangerous. It took a while each time - but a couple had letters send to them and one was kept on file. If they are repeat offenders and called out on it - then the police can take further action - especially with photographic evidence.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yep ... I had an incident in Shoreham High Street this morning as I was heading for my post lockdown haircut.

I was almost at the barbers when I saw two ladies approaching from the opposite direction. The pavement was narrowed as the front of Piston Broke pub had it's frontage taped off due to some work being carried out. As I have done on so many occasions the last 12 months, I stood to one side (one foot on the road) to allow the two ladies to pass - respecting social distancing. The two ladies both smiled and said thank you ... all good up to now! When they'd passed, I went to stand fully back on the pavement to continue the few yards to the barbers ... only to find a bloke (mid 30s maybe) on his bike on the pavement trying to squeeze past me ... with no distancing whatsoever.

I asked him politely why does he feel the need to cycle on the pavement. His response ... it's too dangerous to ride on the road!!! He really wasn't very happy that I'd called him out. I am a cyclist ... and I cycle along Shoreham High Street frequently. I don't enjoy cycling on the road - but I would never do so on a pavement - and it really peeves me when I come across people like that who live in there own selfish little world.

Back to the OP and parking on a pavement at a zig zag. A while back I was in my car and approaching a crossing. A pub next to the crossing was being refurbished and a big works vehicle was parked half on the road and walk on the pavement ... on the zig zag lines right by the crossing itself. As I got very close to the crossing I could see an elderly lady on her mobility scooter slowly edging out to cross on the crossing ... I say slowly as she couldn't see past the vehicle! I pulled into a car park close by to try and find the driver and explain the problem he was causing. No one seemed to know where the driver was and so I called the number on the vehicle. Got to speak to a director of a company to explain that one of their vehicles was parked illegally and in a very dangerous position - the response being "maybe they couldn't find anywhere else to park that was close by"!! I said that if the vehicle wasn't removed in 5 minutes I would call the police. The director said, "you do what you have to do" and put the phone down on me!

One thing you can do is take a photo and report via Operation Crackdown. I have done this on a few occasions ... only when I believe the situation to be dangerous. It took a while each time - but a couple had letters send to them and one was kept on file. If they are repeat offenders and called out on it - then the police can take further action - especially with photographic evidence.

You should have stoved his head in with an iron bar, that'll learn'em.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/19231117.cyclist-left-head-injuries-suspected-road-attack/
(Probably now wishes he was riding on the pavement).

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/19231117.cyclist-left-head-injuries-suspected-road-attack/

Oh my goodness ... that's horrendous!!

I do most of my cycling off road ... I use my bell well ahead of anyone I need to pass and give a little 'morning' and 'thank you' ... which mostly gets a positive response (some miserable bits just ignore me ... they probably don't like the fact that a cyclist is being considerate) ... which puts a smile on my face. I often get a' "wow ... a cyclist actually using his bell" ... which I usually reply to with a bit of humour.

Why can't we all just get along (OK ... I'm being a bit naive)!!!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Brighton should be pedestrianised from the station left to London road, down to the pier, along to West St then back to the station, from 8 till late.
Shuttle buses should be almost continuously run in a figure of eight in the centre of the road.

Having cars in the likes of Bond St, Ship St and Trafalar Rd (yes I do have Brighton in Goggle maps open) is insane.

Whatever it is that you do for a living, you are in the wrong job, you should be the new Brighton & Hove traffic planning supremo. :)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

When that cnt found's guilty, I'd expect to see him spending several years in prison.

Cowardly bully with a weopen.

For starters, Sussex Police/CPS have a zero tolerance stance on anything kept in the car cabin, that could be used as a dangerous weopen.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Whatever it is that you do for a living, you are in the wrong job, you should be the new Brighton & Hove traffic planning supremo. :)

All joking aside I genuinely believe they'll come a time when Brighton kidz, will say to their teacher, 'you used to drive down that street?'

Naturally I hope it's sooner rather than later, sadly I think it'll take a lot longer.

In the interests of balance, hopefully they'll also exclaim:-

'Seriously how long did it take to drive to London/Portsmouth/Birmingham/Manchester'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports