Parking in Coldean - residents not happy.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
As promised I wrote a letter to the Argus and it has been published today.

Everyone has a right to park legally, even for the football

IT WAS sad to read a story in The Argus regarding the issue of parking in Coldean and complaints from the residents (August 13).

It is perhaps obvious to any resident who follows football that, once the stadium opened, there would be an impact on parking in the area.

As a Coldean Lane resident and Albion supporter, I know when home games are being played and can plan accordingly by inviting family or friends over earlier.

For non-football followers, the influx of cars on consecutive Saturdays was probably a bit of a shock.

However, in the same way there was a frosty reception from Withdean residents when the club started playing there, I am sure over time the relationship between supporters and residents in Coldean will improve and things will settle down.

Personally, I have not witnessed or borne the impact of inconsiderate or illegal parking in Coldean, over and above a normal evening or weekend on the estate.

Things have been worse during events in Stanmer Park such as Race For Life, or from students at Varley Halls. People have always parked on the grass verges.

At around noon on the Saturday in question, there appeared to be about eight cars parked in Coldean Lane.

If residents have proof of illegal parking, I imagine the club would be willing to contact those responsible to discuss this with them.

It is in the interest of the supporters of the club to act in a responsible manner if they wish to see the club grow and prosper.

Residents must be aware that anyone is allowed to park legally on any stretch of public road – just because it’s inconvenient for a couple of hours once a week doesn’t mean it’s illegal.

I’m sure local businesses will be delighted with the increased business they have seen as a result, so there are positives for the local economy and potential benefits with improved services.

I don’t believe parking should be stopped in Coldean on matchdays; there is plenty of space for the current number of cars.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Just read that in the Argus: good points, well made :thumbsup:

zoogull

zoogull
May 29, 2008
Herstmonceux
The point made about it only being once a fortnight could also be used in favour of going by train. We have to accept that whatever route we take there will be some inconvenience, whether it's waiting in the queue at Falmer station, or for the Park & Ride, or to get out of the car park at Bennett's Field. It's a small price to pay for our new facilities. Surely people can give up using their car for one day?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
They are planning one but it has to go through a consultation and will depend if residents vote in favour for it. I doubt it will be in place for the new season.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
They are planning one but it has to go through a consultation and will depend if residents vote in favour for it. I doubt it will be in place for the new season.

I would be very surprised if the residents voted for it. It may well stop some of the existing behaviour that is nothing to do with football

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Just confirmed in the residents association newsletter:

Phase 1 Surveying - Currently underway to assess signing and lining needed to produce a full plan for consultation

Phase 2 - July to October, for a full 12 week legally-required consultation with all residents.

Phase 3: Formal Consultation: October 2012 to March 2013 for legally-required advertising of traffic orders and required transport committee meetings.

Phase 4: Implementation: March to May 2013 to install signage and lineage and issue (free) parking permits to residents.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
The point made about it only being once a fortnight could also be used in favour of going by train. We have to accept that whatever route we take there will be some inconvenience, whether it's waiting in the queue at Falmer station, or for the Park & Ride, or to get out of the car park at Bennett's Field. It's a small price to pay for our new facilities. Surely people can give up using their car for one day?

Completely ignoring of course those of us commuting in from all point West, in my case the West country and a 3 hour drive, With Mill Rd always full very early.... Coldean, used legally is a good option.... there are many hundreds of us coming in from that far West, stopping somewhere and taking two trains just adds several hours to our journey. As it stands we can be home after a Sat ko by 2030 just South of Bristol.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪

Phase 1 Surveying - Currently underway to assess signing and lining needed to produce a full plan for consultation

Phase 2 - July to October, for a full 12 week legally-required consultation with all residents.

Phase 3: Formal Consultation: October 2012 to March 2013 for legally-required advertising of traffic orders and required transport committee meetings.

Phase 4: Implementation: March to May 2013 to install signage and lineage and issue (free) parking permits to residents.

As a resident, what is your 'hunch' as to which way the residents consultation will go?

Had residents been required to foot the bill, I feel it would have been a certain no. Depends if most look at the bigger picture beyond Saturday's with the potential implications of the illegal parking that goes on up there on non match days? Although, I do suspect the parking wardens would probably only patrol there on match days.

If the majority were to say "bollocks to that", would that be the end of the matter?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

What does ALL residents mean? Park Road and Rushlake Road? Or all residents of Coldean? I live in Coldean and we've heard nothing about this at all. Most people around me don't really give a toss as we're not affected by parking on match days - they do worry that resident permits might be introduced though.

Are the club really going to fork out for resident permits though? There are about 1500 households in Coldean and large numbers of them have two, three or four cars. I think they're £120 a pop so that's £180,000 the club would have to fork out. If you add Moulsecoomb to that, the club could well be looking at close to a million quid for resident permits. Are we really going to swallow that?

del_boy

Jul 3, 2012
BN1
I see on coldean lane they are taking up the grass verges and putting concrete down presumable in preparation for cars to park there without tearing up all the grass.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
implications of the illegal parking that goes on up there on non match days?

I ask a Coldean resident.... what is the illegal parking, I don't see any when I park up there..... or are we just saying its inconsiderate parking???

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Illegal? Parking on a yellow line, on the verge or in a permit bay?

Not in Brighton & Hove because traffic contraventions are decriminalised (i.e. the Council enforce them not the Police and there is no 'illegality' just an alleged contravention which is appealable).

The only 'illegal parking you can get a Police ticket for is for obstruction or parking on a yellow zig-zag.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Illegal? Parking on a yellow line, on the verge or in a permit bay?

Not in Brighton & Hove because traffic contraventions are decriminalised (i.e. the Council enforce them not the Police and there is no 'illegality' just an alleged contravention which is appealable).

The only 'illegal parking you can get a Police ticket for is for obstruction or parking on a yellow zig-zag.

Or a white zig-zag presumably.

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
If restrictions are applied then all it will do is move the so called problem elsewhere. Many people just can't do without the car for many reasons and provided they act responsibly when selecting a parking space that is all that is required. Simply put people do not own that piece of road in front of their dwelling unless it's a private road.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
What does ALL residents mean? Park Road and Rushlake Road? Or all residents of Coldean? I live in Coldean and we've heard nothing about this at all. Most people around me don't really give a toss as we're not affected by parking on match days - they do worry that resident permits might be introduced though.

Are the club really going to fork out for resident permits though? There are about 1500 households in Coldean and large numbers of them have two, three or four cars. I think they're £120 a pop so that's £180,000 the club would have to fork out. If you add Moulsecoomb to that, the club could well be looking at close to a million quid for resident permits. Are we really going to swallow that?

Can I infer from this that while some residents have complained, it's mainly the people who - well - like to complain, and that the majority are not bothered?

Is it a case of empty vessels making the most noise?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports