Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Parking at the RSCH.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
The car pk spaces at RSCH are far too narrow. I wouldn't park my Range Rover or Bentley there so if you have a larger vehicle forget it unless you wanna climb in and out the boot!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Hello one and all.
I have to go to the RSCH ( or possibly the Princess Royal Hospital Haywards Heath) for some scans in the near future, prior to an op on an Aortic Abdominal Aneurysm. Never been there before, so am seeking advice on the parking situation at the hospital. Is it a nightmare and would I be wiser to take the train from Chichester to Brighton and then a taxi to and from the hospital?
Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated.
I've been going to the RSCH twice a week recently so here's my take:

As others have said parking at RSCH itself is next to impossible. If you can stand a short walk (about 10 minutes) you can often find spaces in places like Freshfield Road (by the industrial estate on the site of the old Kemptown station), but don't rely on it.

If you want to drive I'd probably park somewhere else, and if you find you're too far from the hospital get a taxi or bus(es) up to RSCH. 1, 1A, 7, 12, and 13 are all buses I've seen going past. Alternatively you can get the train into Brighton as you've suggested. I don't think there's a bus direct from the station to the hospital so you'll probably need to change. Allow plenty of time! If you're flush you can take a taxi. They're not cheap. The first time I had to go there (I live in Fiveways) it was rush hour and it cost me £12. There is however a taxi rank outside the outpatients at the hospital, so it's easy to get one back.

And all the best with the op.

calvstar

May 7, 2013
Haywards Heath
Haywards Heath usually has plenty of parking at the hospital (expensive as you can imagine though). There is a hotel opposite (The Birch) and if you call them in advance you may be able to park in their carpark for a smaller fee if they are feeling generous.

I've been to RSCH enough times now and parking has either been a breeze or completely rammed so I needed to get there for an op I'd train/taxi/bus it there and then organise a lift home or take a taxi.

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
The car pk spaces at RSCH are far too narrow. I wouldn't park my Range Rover or Bentley there so if you have a larger vehicle forget it unless you wanna climb in and out the boot!
I had a very expensive scrape with a concrete pillar along the passenger door of my old Focus while trying to squeeze into the only remaining parking space at the RSCH. I should have been more careful, but it was very narrow. I'd avoid at all costs. Haywards Heath has much better parking and you can usually get a free bus trip from the station to PRH on certain buses if you bring your appointment letter. Check the website to see if it applies to RSCH too.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Many thanks for all your very helpful replies.
If I am sent to RSCH for the scans, it definitely looks like the train and cab/bus is the way to go and for HH, the car.
My op will definitely be at the RSCH, I know that much!
Once again, many thanks to one and all.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
ASDA MARINA WARNING
Asda do have cameras and will enforce so if parking at the marina use the multi storey.
As for RSCH, parked my small van there the other week for a quick visit to my Mum. On my return the cars either side were so close I couldn't get in the van (Renault Traffic) and had to find a skinny guy to climb in and release the hand brake so I could push it forwards.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Haywards Heath usually has plenty of parking at the hospital (expensive as you can imagine though). There is a hotel opposite (The Birch) and if you call them in advance you may be able to park in their carpark for a smaller fee if they are feeling generous.

I've been to RSCH enough times now and parking has either been a breeze or completely rammed so I needed to get there for an op I'd train/taxi/bus it there and then organise a lift home or take a taxi.
The 7 stops outside Brighton station (comes down from Seven Dials) and outside the RSCH. They are very frequent (every 7 minutes) so train and bus would be my choice.

There are two buses from Brighton to the Princess Royal, 272 and 271, free of charge if you show your appointment letter.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Parking in the multi storey is bad, even for staff with permits like my wife. However, with the new build that is opening soon, there is an underground car park that will have about 350 spaces I believe - so parking should hopefully become easier for everyone at the RSCH.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
I you go to HH be a bit careful of different car parks. My wife paid at the wrong machine for the car park next door.

Interestingly she contested it and Parking Eye ended up taking it all the way to court where the judge absolutely ripped Parking Eye a new one. He delved right into it all and it turns out Parking Eye didn't even have an agreement in place to collect money on behalf of the land owner.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
I've been paying a few visits to both sites recently. My experience with RSCH is better than others - a lot depends on the time of your appointment with first thing being easy to find a spot in my experience. Even later in the day I find if you pitch up early the wait won't be too long but that might not be an option for some people and I may just have been lucky. Certainly easy to find on street parking between the hospital and the seafront - PayByPhone is the app to use if you are happy paying the service charge. HH is I think much worse but if you head down Northlands Avenue which is off the roundabout opposite the entrance to the hospital, you'll find plenty of free on street parking a 10 to 15 min walk away (although uphill on the way in!)

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The 7 goes from outside the front of the station to the front of the hospital.
Thanks, I didn't know that.

Anyway, an update on my original post. I've just got back from my most recent appointment, so I thought I'd take a quick shufti at the local parking. I had a look at Freshfield Road and there were a few spaces, but it was pretty full as I thought. More interesting is that Buzz Bingo (on the site of the old Kemptown station) has a large car park and it was only about a quarter full (this was at 10:00am). Obviously it's for the Bingo customers, but they do allow public parking - you do need the Nexus Pay parking app however. (Brighton street parking uses Pay By Phone). There was no sign as to the cost, but as it's Brighton I doubt it'll be dirt cheap - it'll still be cheaper than two taxis though!

So I think driving could work, but train and the 7 bus might be a good alternative. They do seem very frequent.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Parking at RSCH I'd a nightmare. The car park in the hospital fills up very early in the day and the surrounding streets usually fill-up too. I think train and taxi is a good idea.

Haywards Heath is different. In my limited experience the car park there usually has spaces.
All of this, parking at the RSCH is an absolute nightmare in my experience
Could park at the marina and get a bus.
This is something l did when visiting my wife in the RSCH a couple of months back, worked very well actually. the Asda car park is free of charge, plenty of space, and the number 7, or 23, bus stop just yards away, with a bus every few minutes..

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Other thought is Justpark. Spaces up the hill from the hospital seem to range from £4.50 to an eye-watering £16 for 4 hours. Another option anyway.

Jul 7, 2003
All of this, parking at the RSCH is an absolute nightmare in my experience

This is something l did when visiting my wife in the RSCH a couple of months back, worked very well actually. the Asda car park is free of charge, plenty of space, and the number 7, or 23, bus stop just yards away, with a bus every few minutes..
As others have said, Asda is only free for a few hours and they do enforce. Multi storey is free if you are not sure how long you will be.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
Personally I feel forced to use public transport and there are several busses that go that way. Ultimately it was built and then ridiculously extended built in the wrong place.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
As others have said, Asda is only free for a few hours and they do enforce. Multi storey is free if you are not sure how long you will be.
Actually you are quite right about the time limit, four hours if l remember correctly. Probably absolutely fine if it is just to visit a patient, but some outpatient appointments overrun, and if it involves a visit to A & E, then God help you.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Personally I feel forced to use public transport and there are several busses that go that way. Ultimately it was built and then ridiculously extended built in the wrong place.
If only William IV and Queen Adelaide could've seen into the future in 1828, eh?

We also had the workhouse, later the Brighton General, the Women's hopital, the QA children's hospital in Dyke Road and the isolation hospital in Bevendean.
Modern medicine eh?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here