Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Parking at the RSCH.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
If only William IV and Queen Adelaide could've seen into the future in 1828, eh?

We also had the workhouse, later the Brighton General, the Women's hopital, the QA children's hospital in Dyke Road and the isolation hospital in Bevendean.
Modern medicine eh?
A bit like Stonehenge really, why on earth did they decide to build it next to the busy A303?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
A bit like Stonehenge really, why on earth did they decide to build it next to the busy A303?
Ah, but the A303 wasn't so busy then. Druids used to stop off at Stonehenge on their way from London to Devon.

And the only reason it fell out of use was that they got sick of moving all the stones round one place whenever the clocks went forward.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
If only William IV and Queen Adelaide could've seen into the future in 1828, eh?

We also had the workhouse, later the Brighton General, the Women's hopital, the QA children's hospital in Dyke Road and the isolation hospital in Bevendean.
Modern medicine eh?
In the early 60's I worked at RSCH in admin. There were exciting plans to build a new Hospital at Falmer which were then quashed as too expensive and the site being too far out of town. It was alleged that the money earmarked for the Falmer site was swopped to enable the second stage of Crawley Hospital to be built.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
In the early 60's I worked at RSCH in admin. There were exciting plans to build a new Hospital at Falmer which were then quashed as too expensive and the site being too far out of town. It was alleged that the money earmarked for the Falmer site was swopped to enable the second stage of Crawley Hospital to be built.
...and the original plans for when they started to expand the RSCH beyond the original buildings (facing onto Eastern Road), was for 3 inter-linked tower blocks. Presumably central government pulled the cash, so we ended up with just the one.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
...and the original plans for when they started to expand the RSCH beyond the original buildings (facing onto Eastern Road), was for 3 inter-linked tower blocks. Presumably central government pulled the cash, so we ended up with just the one.
The £480m scheme remains exactly as proposed all along, fully funded by central government. The three T’s, you can see a few floors up, at street level it appears as one.

Next stage, the huge new cancer centre, they need to wait for wards etc to move to the new building.

9D31FE79-7A4A-43CA-BA06-E75E7F0E41B5.png

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
I've been going to the RSCH twice a week recently so here's my take:

As others have said parking at RSCH itself is next to impossible. If you can stand a short walk (about 10 minutes) you can often find spaces in places like Freshfield Road (by the industrial estate on the site of the old Kemptown station), but don't rely on it.

If you want to drive I'd probably park somewhere else, and if you find you're too far from the hospital get a taxi or bus(es) up to RSCH. 1, 1A, 7, 12, and 13 are all buses I've seen going past. Alternatively you can get the train into Brighton as you've suggested. I don't think there's a bus direct from the station to the hospital so you'll probably need to change. Allow plenty of time! If you're flush you can take a taxi. They're not cheap. The first time I had to go there (I live in Fiveways) it was rush hour and it cost me £12. There is however a taxi rank outside the outpatients at the hospital, so it's easy to get one back.

And all the best with the op.
The no7 bus goes from Brighton station to the hospital and is a frequent service.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
The £480m scheme remains exactly as proposed all along, fully funded by central government. The three T’s, you can see a few floors up, at street level it appears as one.

Next stage, the huge new cancer centre, they need to wait for wards etc to move to the new building.

View attachment 159377
I am afraid that you have misunderstood. I was not referring at all to was what originally named the 3Ts development (now the Louisa Martindale building) that you quote.

I was referring to the original plans for the existing tower block at RSCH (the one that has recently had a helideck added, the Thomas Kemp Tower). That tower was intended to be one of 3 interlinked towers.

I also take issue with your comment that the scheme "remains exactly as proposed all along". The original plan for the 3Ts development that you refer to, included a helideck on top of one of the Louisa Martindale wings. This was altered to place it on top of the Thomas Kemp Tower instead, as it was envisaged that this would enable it to be operational before the Phase 1 of the 3Ts development (the Louisa Martindale buildings) were completed. The helipad has been completed but is still not operational, and it seems likely that the Louisa Martindale extension will be fully open before the helipad is.

I am not trying to start an argument here, just trying to correct a couple of misconceptions / misunderstandings.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I am afraid that you have misunderstood. I was not referring at all to was what originally named the 3Ts development (now the Louisa Martindale building) that you quote.

I was referring to the original plans for the existing tower block at RSCH (the one that has recently had a helideck added, the Thomas Kemp Tower). That tower was intended to be one of 3 interlinked towers.

I also take issue with your comment that the scheme "remains exactly as proposed all along". The original plan for the 3Ts development that you refer to, included a helideck on top of one of the Louisa Martindale wings. This was altered to place it on top of the Thomas Kemp Tower instead, as it was envisaged that this would enable it to be operational before the Phase 1 of the 3Ts development (the Louisa Martindale buildings) were completed. The helipad has been completed but is still not operational, and it seems likely that the Louisa Martindale extension will be fully open before the helipad is.

I am not trying to start an argument here, just trying to correct a couple of misconceptions / misunderstandings.
It’s all friendly!

I always thought that plan was over ambitious.

DAF66D72-3E07-4C60-8E5E-2379FE5FFC49.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here