Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Parking at the Amex........ or close by?!!

I am sure adequate parking for the legitimate applicants will be supplied by the club.
Who are "legitimate applicants"? There's a perfectly adequate Europe-wide Blue Badge Scheme that defines who "legitimate" users of disabled parking spaces are. The current recommendation for Blue Badge parking spaces at a stadium the size of the Amex is that there should be about 150 spaces available - ideally within a short walk of the stadium.

There is little evidence that anything like this number of Blue Badge spaces will be available at Falmer. Either the Club will have to introduce its own rationing system, or they will have to lay on transport between the Blue Badge spaces and the stadium itself. Or, possibly, both.

Bisto

Getting older everyday
Oct 25, 2010
Brighton
You could always try east of Falmer down the A27 lay byes[/QUOTE]

Yes to the East there are some remnants of the 'old A27' which are parallel to the new road particularly from Newmarket pub and across the road (Northside) which is closer to the new stadium 5 - 10 min walk I'd guess

Bisto

Getting older everyday
Oct 25, 2010
Brighton
Only thing is it wll fall under Lewes Ditrict Council (Lib DEM territory) mates of Norman Baker I am sure they will have a disruptive plan!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Who are "legitimate applicants"? There's a perfectly adequate Europe-wide Blue Badge Scheme that defines who "legitimate" users of disabled parking spaces are. The current recommendation for Blue Badge parking spaces at a stadium the size of the Amex is that there should be about 150 spaces available - ideally within a short walk of the stadium.

There is little evidence that anything like this number of Blue Badge spaces will be available at Falmer. Either the Club will have to introduce its own rationing system, or they will have to lay on transport between the Blue Badge spaces and the stadium itself. Or, possibly, both.

Ok fair point-perhaps the club will be more stringent than just to accept and actually go a step further an insist on a certain criteria rather than just take the badge-i think 150 spaces is on the low side but adequate for the most needy.

One person on a previous thread said that and, as I pointed out on that thread, there's no mention on the council website about such plans for a CPZ, the Argus hasn't reported on this (andthe Argus loves parking stories more than anything), nor have local residents been informed about any such plans. CPZs are generally designated at a week's notice - or even a month's notice - there's a generally a long period of public consultation first.

As I understand it, the parking scheme at Withdean was voluntary. The stewards asked people not to park in the area but couldn't legally prevent them. It worked to a certain extent because most people honoured it and because Withdean is a small area - Moulsecoomb is vast - when it was built it was one of the biggest public housing schemes in Europe - and would be much harder to police.

As for Coldean, Coldean Lane is a very busy road, linking Lewes Road with the ring road and Ditchling Road. I can't imagine that it would be easy preventing cars driving up it.

It may well be that after a few months of the season, local residents will protest about supporter parking, and some action is taken but I can't see that happening immediately.

One thing that might happen is that supporters find it's not worth the hassle. The only exits from Coldean ar on Coldean Lane and if cars back up there, fans could find it taking 30 minutes to get out.

These are CPZs as defined in the planning consent, not resident parking zones etc that the council implement and have statutory penalties etc.
We probably won't know until details of the clubs transport plan/scheme are made available where these will be and how they are to be controlled (only Falmer village is specifically mentioned in the consent). However, it is clear that B&HCC has a contingency plan for the Moulsecoomb area if the club's CPZ match day scheme proves to be unsuccessful. The poster you refer to works in Planning btw.

Shanker45

Jan 19, 2010
East Preston,West Sussex
If you're out to the west there's a no.49 direct from Portslade Stn to East Moulsecoomb, then a short walk (15 mins?) to the Amex.
Cheers might be an idea.

Best way to get from Brighton Station to Falmer by bus is to walk down Trafalgar Street to St Peter's Church ... where there are 24 buses an hour going to within walking distance of the stadium.
Thanks - only 24!!

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham

I believe the official guidance for leisure facilites is 6% of car parking spaces should be allocated for blue badge users, however I am pretty sure this is just guidance but I will check

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
And at the end of each game walking 1 to 2 miles uphill to collect your car? Better to get wifey to drop and collect!

Blimey, imagine having to WALK a whole 1 or 2 miles uphill, once a fortnight...

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011
For those who will be driving to the Amex, where are you planning on parking?

Must admit personally i hate park and rides waiting for the bus to load before it takes you to your car. Used it at withdean and hated it with a passion. I personally would rather walk a long distance to my car parked outside of the zones and go from there. I used to park at withdean at either the long man of wilmington in carden ave or the top of valley drive at withdean.

So at the Amex, im thinking either Stanmer Park, Coldean Lane, or somewhere in Moulscoombe close to Falmer school may be possibility's at the Amex.

Thoughts?

Park by the Pond the residents won`t mind:lolol:

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
And at the end of each game walking 1 to 2 miles uphill to collect your car? Better to get wifey to drop and collect!

Just as outside Withdean, I do envisage seeing a plethora of wives waiting in cars nearby at 4.50 pm.

I imagine the Police (like at Gatwick) and Stewards will this time try to bully them away; to try to force us all long-term to use train/university/bus/park'n'ride.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
I thought at some stage Falmer school was muted as having an application to turn it into a city college at some £18m cost whilst also adding some 1000 car parking spaces towards Falmer-
For me it's walk-30-40 mins
Bus from a mates house at the highway(he has 4 spaces-so no problem)
or walk from highway-yes take in the Hikers and 25mins tops

You could always try east of Falmer down the A27 lay byes

how does one go about 'muting' a school?

I believe the official guidance for leisure facilites is 6% of car parking spaces should be allocated for blue badge users, however I am pretty sure this is just guidance but I will check
Yep. It's BS 8300:2009 - Design of buildings and their approaches to meet the needs of disabled people - Code of Practice. 6 per cent for most leisure and recreational facilities, but more than that for stadium parking (because all potential users need the parking facility at the same time).

6 per cent of 2000-2,200 spaces (as required within 1.5km of the Amex Stadium) = 120-132 Blue Badge spaces. I'm saying 150, to take account of the particular requirements of a stadium. And they ALL need to be within a reasonable walk of the stadium. 75 per cent of people with a mobility-related disability have some difficulty in walking more than 200 metres.

My understanding is that the Club wish to encourage some disabled supporters to use the park and ride services and the trains. But it is particularly difficult on crowded buses and trains to ensure that disabled passengers have access to seats (especially the priority seats). Standing on a crowded bus or train is very uncomfortable (and potentially an accident waiting to happen), if you don't have full mobility.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Last season I started walking to Withdean from Brighton Station. Used to take about 45 mins, was followed by a nice hour and a half sit down (mostly) and TBH it was the ONLY exercise I did all year.

It's just under 4 miles to Falmer from Brighton Station and will probably take about 1 hr 15. With the added incentive of a beer in the bar on arrival, unless it's pissing down I might try and do the same.

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
how about parking at Mithras house...

you could then walk over to Moulsecomb train station and one stop to Falmer.... easy!!!

how about parking at Mithras house...

you could then walk over to Moulsecomb train station and one stop to Falmer.... easy!!!
Or even catch the Park & Ride bus from outside the car park.

Incidentally, they'll be using the Cockcroft / Watts Buildings car parks as well as Mithras House.

I would imagine most trains will be full by the time they reach Moulsecoomb.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here