Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Parkig ticket, Lewes train Station.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
A colleague at work got a parking ticket having done the exact same thing. He sent the parking ticket he bought along with the ticket given by the warden and got it reversed at kindly reminded to put it face up next time! Common sense prevails.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I will speak to a couple of the wardens in Lewes that I know and ask them if they are aware of how the station is usually policed in regards to parking!

I am not sure that they would know whether or not the chargess are legal. As the attendant at Sainsburys Haywards Heath came chasing after me about putting a ticket on my car and I just told him the paper he wrote on was worth more than the claim so to get lost and not to waste mine or his time. He wasnt happy but just slumped away mumbling under his breath.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I agree with invoicing them but don't you need a credit licence to charge interest ?

Certainly I am not a credit license holder and apparently I can ask for interest if an invoice is settled late. Whether they pay it is a different matter.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
:lolol: I doubt she leaves her house, to be honest, seems to spend all day scouring the internet for parking wrongs to right.

Says someone who's just looked up a particular persons posts ( that's not sad at all ) :whistle:

To be fair to LadySeagull she appears to be a parking campaigner first and an Albion fan second but I'm not aware that's a crime. Especially given a majority of threads on NSC probably are nothing to do with BHA !

Advice remains the same though - ignore PPC "tickets".

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
On the subject of parking fines etc I have been fined 5 times in my life. 2 were me being a bit dim so I just paid them. 3 were from over zealous parkies. I once got a ticket for being about 6 inches outside of a bay. In all cases where I have felt the ticket was issued over zealously and not within the spirit of the parking rules (this has always been the main plank to my argument) I have challenged the council politely and always got my money back.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
On the subject of parking fines etc I have been fined 5 times in my life. 2 were me being a bit dim so I just paid them. 3 were from over zealous parkies. I once got a ticket for being about 6 inches outside of a bay. In all cases where I have felt the ticket was issued over zealously and not within the spirit of the parking rules (this has always been the main plank to my argument) I have challenged the council politely and always got my money back.

The key word in your post is "council" - we're talking about private parking "tickets" here.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
... but railway car parks are publicly owned assets that should be managed appropriately.

How exactly is a car park owned by Southern ( a private company ) a publicly owned asset ? If it really was then railway bylaws would come into force and the advice would be completely different.

How exactly is a car park owned by Southern ( a private company ) a publicly owned asset ? If it really was then railway bylaws would come into force and the advice would be completely different.
It isn't owned by Southern. It is owned by Network Rail. Its operation is franchised out to Southern by the government. The deal is regulated by railway law, which is largely (but not entirely) silent about parking management - but that is a defect in the rail privatisation legislation.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Meteor are the inhouse dept for Go Ahead who own Southern, wouldn't give you much chance of winning any appeal

It isn't owned by Southern. It is owned by Network Rail. Its operation is franchised out to Southern by the government. The deal is regulated by railway law, which is largely (but not entirely) silent about parking management - but that is a defect in the rail privatisation legislation.

Ernest is usually spot on when it comes to the railways so why exactly would an agent of Southern be able to issue invoices in a National Rail owned car park ?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

Well National Rail believe they are a private company so the car park is still privately owned land NOT a public asset.

National Rail - "As a company limited by guarantee, we are a private company operating as a commercial business."

Ernest is usually spot on when it comes to the railways so why exactly would an agent of Southern be able to issue invoices in a National Rail owned car park ?
In exactly the same way that an agent of Southern (let us call him Ernest) has the right to issue train tickets to allow me to travel on a train.

It's a franchise, granted for a fixed term to Southern, by the government.

Well National Rail believe they are a private company so the car park is still privately owned land NOT a public asset.

National Rail - "As a company limited by guarantee, we are a private company operating as a commercial business."
... charged with the job of managing public assets.

They can't sell those assets, even if they wanted to.

A genuinely private company (like Tesco) can sell its assets whenever they want to, without the need for government approval.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Says someone who's just looked up a particular persons posts ( that's not sad at all ) :whistle:

To be fair to LadySeagull she appears to be a parking campaigner first and an Albion fan second but I'm not aware that's a crime. Especially given a majority of threads on NSC probably are nothing to do with BHA !

Advice remains the same though - ignore PPC "tickets".

Other way round. BHA fan first and foremost, have been for 40 years but don't often feel the need to post on other threads on here - like lots of people who mainly just browse here.

I also have a young family and a full-time job. But yep, when I am bored - like now while dinner is cooking - I advise people about parking tickets on forums as well because I cannot stand the way this industry cheats people who can least afford it by scaring them into thinking they've got a real parking ticket.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Other way round. BHA fan first and foremost, have been for 40 years but don't often feel the need to post on other threads on here - like lots of people who mainly just browse here.

I also have a young family and a full-time job. But yep, when I am bored - like now while dinner is cooking - I advise people about parking tickets on forums as well because I cannot stand the way this industry cheats people who can least afford it by scaring them into thinking they've got a real parking ticket.

I am very grateful for the advice that you have given in the past and if others chose to ignore this advice who is the loser? One of my daughter in laws was charged £200 to have a clamp released some 12 months ago and I am about to take this up and attempt to get the money repaid I tried a the time but was not so au fait with the law but am going to try again if it is now too late. Mt problem was that I came unstuck trying to find out who actually owned the land in Tunbridge Wells where it happened.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Some of what has been written in this thread is rubbish and alot of the rest is nonsense. Ignore the ticket. :facepalm:

Whether you believe the ticket to be enforcable or not, is besides the point. A ticket has been issued as a result of a contravention, and the worst possible advice is to just ignore it and hope it will go away. And then to happily admit that you'll get up to 6 (SIX!) angry and strongly worded letters, but to ignore all that aswell... I just can't believe that advice from a seemingly intelligent enough person. If anybody chooses to heed that advice, be prepared for what comes with it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Some of what has been written in this thread is rubbish and alot of the rest is nonsense. Ignore the ticket. :facepalm:

Whether you believe the ticket to be enforcable or not, is besides the point. A ticket has been issued as a result of a contravention, and the worst possible advice is to just ignore it and hope it will go away. And then to happily admit that you'll get up to 6 (SIX!) angry and strongly worded letters, but to ignore all that aswell... I just can't believe that advice from a seemingly intelligent enough person. If anybody chooses to heed that advice, be prepared for what comes with it.

That is the worst advice being given why should a person pay for something that is not enforceable in law, which these charges are not.

Simple just ignore them and NOTHING ELSE WILL HAPPEN THE CHARGES WILL BE DROPPED the company will not take the matter to court as they will be laughed out of court and left with a huge legal bill.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here