Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Park and Cycle

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Funnily enough I was just looking at places like Westmeston and Plumpton and saw a number of bridleways towards Falmer. https://footpathmap.co.uk/map/?zoom=13.192446105936332&lng=-0.06698&lat=50.88953 This option is appealing for nice, light days. Imagine it's up and down to get the heart rate going.

Ditchling Beacon to Falmer is pretty straighforward, have run it dozens of times - a bit lumpy but not too bad and the surface is mostly OK too (half trail and half road roughly). Parking at the Beacon not always great at the weekends though - can be very busy (and you need to pay). You could try Clayton Windmills (adds about 2 miles but free parking, again surface is good), or Plumpton College car park where there is plenty of room to park (but which adds a big hill, obviously)

Yes - monstrous hill to go up if you park down there. You used to be able to drive up Plumpton Bostal and leave your car up at the top (I'm talking 30 years ago) - no idea if you still can or not.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes - monstrous hill to go up if you park down there. You used to be able to drive up Plumpton Bostal and leave your car up at the top (I'm talking 30 years ago) - no idea if you still can or not.

It's not monstrous..........just a typical Downland track :D Don't think you can drive up (without a tractor or land rover)

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
How about leaving the car at Ditchling Beacon and then cycle along the southdowns way for about a mile, then take a right turn to drop down to the University and the Amex. Bridleway all the way.
Pretty muddy and dark in winter.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Not a lot of mud on that stretch, and half of it is tarmac anyway..........
I must be thinking of a different bridleway down - not the ones that come out in Stammer?

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
No fun cycling in winter conditions when you need warm clothing for sitting around watching the match - ok for pleasant autumn / spring games

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
I've been doing this for virtually every game since the Amex opened (in all weathers) Park somewhere close to A23 (Patcham, Pycombe, if there's time etc) and make sure you have waterproofs and a small bag with you. I'm an experienced and regular cyclist, but the cycle lanes via the A23 and Lewes Road are great. I'm usually approaching the M23 before most cars have got out of the Amex car parks !

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I must be thinking of a different bridleway down - not the ones that come out in Stammer?

No - there's a better route - drop down into the valley about half a mile past the Beacon (right turn down the large open field which doesn't get muddy), up the other side, bear left, then through the gate about 200 yards on the right (not the first one that takes you to the Stanmer path) and down the track (not muddy but a bit rough) and you reach the farm road at the bottom (Ridge Road I think it's called) which runs all the way down into the village (behind the Uni playing fields) - so about half the distance is on tarmac anyway, and very little mud on the rest of it.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I've been doing this for virtually every game since the Amex opened (in all weathers) Park somewhere close to A23 (Patcham, Pycombe, if there's time etc) and make sure you have waterproofs and a small bag with you. I'm an experienced and regular cyclist, but the cycle lanes via the A23 and Lewes Road are great. I'm usually approaching the M23 before most cars have got out of the Amex car parks !

How do you do the bit between the A23 and Lewes Rd? I didn't know there was a cycle lane there.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Let's get back to the good old days:-

EgHHCQTXgAEZKdy.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here