Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paris for 2 nights. Any suggestions?

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
+1 for Montmatre

TBH if you check out the normal sight seeing places then that will easily take up two days. A trendy place to check out is Shakespeare and Company. It's a book shop with a long history. Have a look at the website and you'll see what I mean.

In the evening I would recommend going to Les Deux Magots or Cafe de Flore (or both). They are both very popular (due to being very well known), but around 11pm you can sit outside and just watch people. Drink wise I'd go for a Pastis. It's usually about 7 euro but you can add water and ice to make a nice long drink.

Also chocolat chaud at either is decent, my favourite is Chocolat des Deux Magots à l'ancienne.

In fact sitting outside a cafe is my favourite thing to do in Paris.

I don't know what sort of food you like, I'm a big fan of falafel. L'As du Fallafel is really well known and they do some good grub that you can eat while wandering around. Plus Lenny Kravitz name checked it once :)
If you're anywhere near St Michel (like visiting Notre Dame for example) and want some cheap easy food, then Maoz Fallafel is decent.

Another nice and not too expensive place to eat is my mates place "Fine lalla". It's kind of like Itsu but moroccan food. Around 10 minutes walk from Louvre (or a couple of metro stops)

A few other things.

Tipping. I wouldn't worry about leaving anything more than a couple of euro, regardless of how much you've spent. There's no 10%-20% expectation.

Finally. There's a myth that People in Paris are rude. I've found it to be the complete opposite, they're actually expecting you to speak to them!! Whenever you meet anyone (hotel staff, waiter, shop assistant) just say hello and how are you. And when you're off, say goodbye and have a good evening.

Sorry if any of the above is stuff you know or if is too obvious. Just trying to help!!

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Slightly unrelated, but I HATE those people on NSC who class threads like this as a 'ooooh look at me I'm going on holiday' thread. Says a lot more about the way they think about people than the thread starters.

You get amazing travel advice on here. I enjoy reading these threads just to hear about places to be honest.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Thank you for the tips and advice. All very good and will be put to good use.

Yes, it was t meant to be a look at me thread. It's two nights away on my own, hardly a lot to shout about! In fact , apart from a beano to Croatia it's the first time I've been away ,that isn't work related, for over 8 years . So pleases, don't look at me :)

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Great thread.. Has helped me out too as me and Mrs JTM are Paris bound in October.
We've already purchased the Paris Pass as mentioned earlier, so I'm glad to hear it will prove to be a wise purchase

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I love Paris - one of my favourite cities
Pere LaChaise cemetery is interesting but you should probably schedule t least 1/2 a day there as its massive
Apart from all that everyone else has said it's fun just to wander around and gawp at the place
If it's sunny though definitely do the boat trip or the open air bus
Have a great time

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Just to add a few things not already mentioned. In January I went to the new Fondation Luis Vuitton.; a striking building with some interesting art installations. Buttes Chaumont is one of the most picturesque parks in Paris and is totally off the tourist map in the Belleville area in North East Paris. Others have mentioned Montmartre but I like it at night when it is less crowded and with great night-time views over the city.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Thank you for the tips and advice. All very good and will be put to good use.

Yes, it was t meant to be a look at me thread.
oh I know, just occurred to me as I was reading through the thread, finding it very interesting even though I'm not heading to Paris any time soon, that there are some people out there that do think like that. Very sad.

Have a great trip.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
oh I know, just occurred to me as I was reading through the thread, finding it very interesting even though I'm not heading to Paris any time soon, that there are some people out there that do think like that. Very sad.

Have a great trip.
Thank you, very much looking forward to it!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Just to add a few things not already mentioned. In January I went to the new Fondation Luis Vuitton.; a striking building with some interesting art installations. Buttes Chaumont is one of the most picturesque parks in Paris and is totally off the tourist map in the Belleville area in North East Paris. Others have mentioned Montmartre but I like it at night when it is less crowded and with great night-time views over the city.

Due to this kind of advice I'm seriously considering extending to 5 days. I reckon I may as well make the most of it. Thank you.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
if you need a place to stay, theres a brilliant boutique hotel by the arc de triumphe called Hidden Hotel - http://www.hidden-hotel.com/ - got it on a deal with eurostar when i went with the missus for the french open

really nice place to stay, and a brilliant restaurant just down the road from there that the people at reception recommend. Can't remember for the life of me what its called though

*EDIT* found it, called Le Hide - http://www.lehide.fr/

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Forgot to mention you could be there the same time as Roland Garros. if you like tennis (even if you dont really) its a really great major to go to. tickets are cheap if you buy them beforehand (even a ground pass), and barely any queuing (less than an hour on our second day, walked straight in on the first day) its not as busy as wimbledon, and smaller, with a really nice atmosphere. really, really good

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here