Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paper bags

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Bought some stuff from screwfix today which i paid for on a debit card as is normal, i don't carry cash and when the stuff arrived it was evident that there were a large number of small items that necessitated a bag, of course was asked for 5p for one which i didn't have in cash, so offered to pay for it on the debit card, this caused a bit of commotion at which the manager was summoned to authorise a card payment below there normal threshold, what a carfuffal !

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
What am I doing wrong with the search as I entered both paper bags and plastic bag tax and numerous threads came up but none related to either subject in fact 3/4 of the threads were from within the last 36 hours on various subjects. One more example lady in JD Sports today bought goods to the value of nearly £50 why could the shops not have discretionary power from their HO to give 5p discount on a spend if above a certain level ie goods value £50 so customer pays goods £49.95 plus 5p for a bag. Total spend £50. Or like Primark put the clothes etc in paper bags.

Its 5p ! FFS stop being so tight and whinging !:angry:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Bought some stuff from screwfix today which i paid for on a debit card as is normal, i don't carry cash and when the stuff arrived it was evident that there were a large number of small items that necessitated a bag, of course was asked for 5p for one which i didn't have in cash, so offered to pay for it on the debit card, this caused a bit of commotion at which the manager was summoned to authorise a card payment below there normal threshold, what a carfuffal !

That is an example of a shop that should have paper bags when buying a dozen screws or nuts and bolts etc. All the hardware shops used to have them. What if I went into a sweet shop to buy 250gm of toffees would they charge for a bag or like Card Factory use a small plastic bag at no charge. It is nothing to do with only being 5p.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
That is an example of a shop that should have paper bags when buying a dozen screws or nuts and bolts etc. All the hardware shops used to have them. What if I went into a sweet shop to buy 250gm of toffees would they charge for a bag or like Card Factory use a small plastic bag at no charge. It is nothing to do with only being 5p.

8oz if you don't mind

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Every bit helps but until China and the US drastically cut their emissions, destruction of natural environments and reliance on fossil fuels, this plastic bag initiative is like turning up to an earthquake with a dustpan and brush.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Every bit helps but until China and the US drastically cut their emissions, destruction of natural environments and reliance on fossil fuels, this plastic bag initiative is like turning up to an earthquake with a dustpan and brush.

True, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't bother.There are 196 world leaders meeting in Paris to try to work out a deal to reduce emissions let's hope they agree and something gets done and especially China starts reducing their contribution to global warming. .

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
After reading the advise re wearing the said items home I now have an image of Bensgrandad sitting at his keyboard dressed like the lead in the Rocky Horror Picture Show....

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Did you need to mention the lingerie...?

Yes it was integral to the moan as who wants to walk down the road carrying lingerie openly. Where it might be acceptable to carry some pop sweets etc from Poundland it is hardly the same as carrying clohing. My biggest moan is that Primark who sell cheap clothes can afford and do provide paper bags but BHS dont , cant afford to or wont.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes it was integral to the moan as who wants to walk down the road carrying lingerie openly. Where it might be acceptable to carry some pop sweets etc from Poundland it is hardly the same as carrying clohing. My biggest moan is that Primark who sell cheap clothes can afford and do provide paper bags but BHS dont , cant afford to or wont.

Quite, who wants to be seen carrying crotch-less panties and a peek-a-boo bra?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
8oz if you don't mind

Sweets in BG's day were brought in, and you asked for, "1/4 of toffee's", or whatever took your fancy within your budget. Otherwise known as your pocket money.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I still ask at the market stall for a quater or half pound of mushrooms never 200gm or whatever. They put those in a paper bag so why cant shops where you are spending a decent amount of money.

Dec 15, 2014
Here
I hope this hasnt been mentioned before but the search facility on NSC is not very good.at least on my tablet.

I fully understand and agree with the charges for plastic bags but what about the old fashioned paper bags which can be recyled? I went into BHS in Churchill Sq to buy some lingerie for wife and after not wishing to buy a plastic bag I was given the clothes in my hand to walk up Western Rd to meet wife who had a shopping bag. Had no option than to buy a plastic bag. In my youth that would have been put into a paper bag as apparently Primark with their cheap clothes do so why has no effort been made by other shops to reintroduce paper bags. Rant over.

You could have worn the lingerie under your clothes and no one would have known.

mario-lopez-niptuck-lingerie2.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here