Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Panic at the Pumps.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
A chap on 5-Live came up with quite a good idea to stem this panic buying.

Set the starting price at the pump at £25. So however much petrol you put in to top up within that, whether it be 1 litre or 5 litres, you will pay £25 for it. That way you'll put off most of the the people queuing for a quarter of a tank.

Works for me.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Have they gone on strike yet? No

Are they in discussions at ACAS? Yes

Has there been any disruption to deliveries to date? No

Has every Daily 'You don't need to be mentally subnormal to read this paper but it helps' Express reader dashed to the pumps to put in £6 worth of petrol 'just in case'. YES

I'm amazed that that #PrayForAResolutionToTheTankerDriversDispute isn't yet trending on Twitter

fair points, but why do these disputes always get to this point, were the union goes into the ACAS arbitration with the strike gun loaded? shirley the proper way to engage in industrial disputes would be to arbitrate then hold a ballot for action? i'm sure that is the standard except where the union whats to flex its muscle/gain profile/bash the government of the day.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Set the starting price at the pump at £25. So however much petrol you put in to top up within that, whether it be 1 litre or 5 litres, you will pay £25 for it. That way you'll put off most of the the people queuing for a quarter of a tank.

Works for me.

Seems a bit harsh on someone with a scooter, without a tank big enough to take £25 worth.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just got back from Sainsbury's in Worthing, moderate panic, pumps busier than normal. passed the Murco garage on the way back and they had a a dozen cars backed up down the road waiting.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Not everyone needs one like you. Over 50% of all car journeys are avoidable. I wasn't including services.

Of course they are - This drives me nuts. I have to drop Johnny off at rugby practice. I have to drop Lucy off at her ballet lessons. I have to do 46 runs to and from the nursery every day.

Anytime people want to do anything, it's just grab the car keys and off you go, no second thought - And that's what people should think about, maybe I don't have to do this journey in the car?

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Actually dreading having to fill up in the next day or two, and for once it's not just the price that's scaring me. Maybe a 2am trip to the Tesco on Dyke Road will be in order.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Have they gone on strike yet? No

Are they in discussions at ACAS? Yes

Has there been any disruption to deliveries to date? No

Has every Daily 'You don't need to be mentally subnormal to read this paper but it helps' Express reader dashed to the pumps to put in £6 worth of petrol 'just in case'. YES

I'm amazed that that #PrayForAResolutionToTheTankerDriversDispute isn't yet trending on Twitter

This. If there is a shortage of fuel this coming week it is only the British public who are to blame. Even the normally calm and rational Edna seemed twitchy in her replies to this thread yesterday. f*** knows what would happen if there was a real emergency.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon

Works for me.

This is a great idea and possibly more practical than the martial law/shooting people approach.

Last edited:

Sir Royston thorne

Jun 27, 2004
This. If there is a shortage of fuel this coming week it is only the British public who are to blame. Even the normally calm and rational Edna seemed twitchy in her replies to this thread yesterday. f*** knows what would happen if there was a real emergency.

Correct, at this time I believe that there has not even been a date set for industrial action. Also, in all probability it would be a token one day strike anyway. Peoples selfish greed always amazes me, I remember one winter there was talk of a " Big Freeze " coming and that evening I went to the Co-op for a few bits and found that all the milk,bread and frozen food had been stripped out by human locusts. I'm pretty sure most of that would have ended up being wasted as usual but hey, never mind " I'm alright " grr

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not the greatest of panels, but Question Time should still be lively tonight...

Comedian Alexei Sayle, shadow foreign secretary Douglas Alexander MP, children's minister Sarah Teather MP, conservative Anna Soubry MP, and the columnist and chair of the National Trust Sir Simon Jenkins.

D

Deleted member 22389

Correct, at this time I believe that there has not even been a date set for industrial action. Also, in all probability it would be a token one day strike anyway. Peoples selfish greed always amazes me, I remember one winter there was talk of a " Big Freeze " coming and that evening I went to the Co-op for a few bits and found that all the milk,bread and frozen food had been stripped out by human locusts. I'm pretty sure most of that would have ended up being wasted as usual but hey, never mind " I'm alright " grr

Halfords has seen an increase in people buying Jerry Cans. Absolutely pathetic, which are probably made in China lol.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Coincidence that the government are scaremongering the public and causing panic buys at the pumps at a time when the economy is about to exit a second successive negative quarter. Way to halt a technical recession, kudos.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here