Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Panic at the Pumps.

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
562643_10151471742180192_677240191_24186317_2020184446_n.jpg

It would be even funnier if the the threat to the existence of the traditional British drinking pub, especially free houses, was not so real.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Woah, this thread has moved on, but wanted to get some opinions on something. A labour peer, Lord Toby Harris has called for Francis Maude to resign. This follows a woman in York that had set herself on fire, decanting fuel in her kitchen whilst the stove was on. The fumes were ignited by the naked flame and she has ended up with 40% burns.

The reason she was doing this? Not because there was a petrol shortage, but because her daughter had broken down and had called her mother to bring her some fuel.

Now this moron Harris thinks Maude is to blame and should resign. Really, how do these people get into these positions of power with ridiculous logic this this?

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Oh. So they are asking for more money then.
Who said it was about conditions?!!

Maybe this article is totally misguided?;
All striking tanker drivers want is responsible minimum standards | Len McCluskey | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

This one appears to mention conditions;
BBC News - Fuel strike drivers vote yes in row over conditions

I'm not seeing anything about them wanting more money. Please point that out for me.

That's exactly the article I was talking about!! Where in that article do they list what the Health and Safety concerns acutally are? or even link to something else that says what they are?

The article also says "Meanwhile, there is the steady snip, snip, snip away at working conditions. One firm moved to cut the wages of its drivers by £9,000 a year." Not about the money??

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Woah, this thread has moved on, but wanted to get some opinions on something. A labour peer, Lord Toby Harris has called for Francis Maude to resign. This follows a woman in York that had set herself on fire, decanting fuel in her kitchen whilst the stove was on. The fumes were ignited by the naked flame and she has ended up with 40% burns.

The reason she was doing this? Not because there was a petrol shortage, but because her daughter had broken down and had called her mother to bring her some fuel.

Now this moron Harris thinks Maude is to blame and should resign. Really, how do these people get into these positions of power with ridiculous logic this this?

Actually, her daughter was short of petrol - Her mum was decanting from the plastic container she was storing petrol in, to a jug. (source - every report of heard and read on the subject) It is perfectly reasonable to point the finger at Maude.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm not seeing anything about them wanting more money. Please point that out for me.

have you been able to find what exactly the minimum standards on on terms and conditions are? usually union speak for holidays and hours. where corners are being cut? has this been reported to the HSE? so much fluff, the only concreate thing i see in the Unite position is about them having multiple pensions due to contracts/employers changing.

Last edited:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I've presented very little of my beliefs on here. I'd like to think that the thousands of unpaid hours I've spent running and maintaining NSC should give a fair indication of my sense of community.

The fact that I see massive hypocrisy in the approach of some of the union contingent says nothing for how I lead my life.

In summary: a very poor and cheap shot. Is it the best you've got?

I don't think it's a cheap shot, the hypocrisy for me is middle class tory sympathisers who will deny they're in it purely for themselves.

'Best I've got'? - Classic internet warriorship, grow up.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
the hypocrisy for me is middle class tory sympathisers who will deny they're in it purely for themselves.

i couldn't give a f*ck about anyone else apart from my family and I. I vote Tory. No hyprocrisy from me. I'm not going to vote for a party who don't have my best interests at heart. Why the f*ck would I?

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
i couldn't give a f*ck about anyone else apart from my family and I. I vote Tory. No hyprocrisy from me. I'm not going to vote for a party who don't have my best interests at heart. Why the f*ck would I?

Maybe you'd like to vote for the good of the nation, and the long term instead of yourself and the short term.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Actually, her daughter was short of petrol - Her mum was decanting from the plastic container she was storing petrol in, to a jug. (source - every report of heard and read on the subject) It is perfectly reasonable to point the finger at Maude.

I didn't make this up.

The Fire Service said:
A fire service spokesman said: "Her daughter asked her mum for petrol because she had run out. The cooker was on and the fumes ignited."

The BBC said:
It is not known if the woman had been storing petrol in advance of the threat of industrial action by tanker drivers but news of the dispute was followed days later by government minister Francis Maude advising motorists to fill up jerrycans in case of a strike.

Please still tell me you think "It is perfectly reasonable to point the finger at Maude".

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't think it's a cheap shot, the hypocrisy for me is middle class tory sympathisers who will deny they're in it purely for themselves.

'Best I've got'? - Classic internet warriorship, grow up.

So, are you classifying me as a 'middle class tory sympathiser'?

If so, I'd dispute all of that. The easiest part to dispute is the 'tory' part - I didn't vote for them. Where does that leave me or, more pertinently, your classification of me? You seem to be so wide of the mark it is untrue. Inaccurate assumption after inaccurate assumption...

That's exactly the article I was talking about!! Where in that article do they list what the Health and Safety concerns acutally are? or even link to something else that says what they are?

The article also says "Meanwhile, there is the steady snip, snip, snip away at working conditions. One firm moved to cut the wages of its drivers by £9,000 a year." Not about the money??

Well, if that's a pay CUT, then it's a condition that's being compromised - but does that say they are after more money than they have agreed in their original contract?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
To be quite frank I care no more of what you think of the tanker drivers or myself than I believe this government when they say were all in it together, whilst cutting taxes for 300,000 millionaires and increasing taxes for 4 million pensioners.

I don't normally come to this site to spout off about my view of the world. I leave that to you. You seem to have done a fair bit of it.

I am too busy fighting every day to defend Unite members in the health service from the devastating cuts brought about by our greedy millionaire led government. To help workers who have spent all their lives serving the public work out why their jobs are being cut when they've contributed a lot to this society by looking after peoples health and paying taxes. Taxes that are spent on providing tax cuts to the rich, bailing out bankers that drove their companies to the verge of bankruptcy, and fighting a war that benefits no one but large corporations, politicians and religious fanatics.

As I said I don't normally spout off, realising it will only give someone with a pc and a badly informed opinion an opportunity to come back at me. However I am quite comfortable with my contribution to making our society a better more caring one. I'd like to say I'm sorry you think differently, but i'm not.

You need to have a more balanced view on life.

Two articles for you to read. Simple pension issues.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/pensions/article-2068056/Public-sector-workers-pensions-worth-20-times-value-contributions.html

[http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/262550/Crisis-in-private-pensions-is-down-to-one-man-only-Crisis-in-private-pensions-is-down-to-one-man-only-Crisis-in-private-pensions-is-down-to-one-man-only-Crisis-in-private-pensions-is-down-to-one-man-only-Crisis-in-private-pensions-is-down-to-one-man-only-Crisis-in-private-pensions-is-down-to-one-man-only-Crisis-in-private-pensions-is-down-to-one-man-only

The problem with the unions is they complain about terms and conditions, pensions, shareholders and alike.

The party they subscribe to, sorry own, f***ed the pension plans of so many yet all we hear now is how the tax freeze on the pensioners, where no one pension will lose money, is so unfair.

Then we here "Its all for the shareholders not the workers etc etc" But hang on a minute who are these shareholders, f*** me its the pension funds!

Tax reductions to the rich, you know the ones that are already paying more than anyone else, are suddenly going to have more money to do what with. Perhaps invest in their businesses and shock horror maybe employ more surfs.

Bob Crow and his cronies are using the workers as pawns in their political game. Anyone will do, the more shit it causes the better.

The country needs the rich, not just for tax but to drag this country up from its knees, left in no small way by the last regime.

Not only that just remember for one minute these banks, the nasty ones, the bastards, have been the ones that have raised the money, driven the economy for last few decades which has allowed those in the health service to offer a better service.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here