Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Rivalry: when will the Media NOT...

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I watched the game on Sky last night, and they did a feature on how the rivalry came about, and they got it wrong, as do most media reports. It didn’t ‘start’ with Mullery and Venables being rivals and the 76 Cup game, it started when they were relegated in 74, and we were their first or second game in the old Third division. They came down mob handed, acting billy big bollox, and we didn’t let them get away with it. Loads of trouble before, during, and after the match, and, for me, that’s when the bad blood started.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Most neutrals don't get it though. Look what they all say on Facebook groups whenever it's mentioned. Derision, usually.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
I watched the game on Sky last night, and they did a feature on how the rivalry came about, and they got it wrong, as do most media reports. It didn’t ‘start’ with Mullery and Venables being rivals and the 76 Cup game, it started when they were relegated in 74, and we were their first or second game in the old Third division. They came down mob handed, acting billy big bollox, and we didn’t let them get away with it. Loads of trouble before, during, and after the match, and, for me, that’s when the bad blood started.

This, with knobs on.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I couldn't give a toss. Palace must be honoured to have us as their rivals. They're just a small suburban team who play in leafy Surrey but try to pretend they're a London club. Didn't Croydon apply for City status in 2000? Who was it who beat them to it?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The media won't stop it until such time as they aren't spending their entire existence pandering to the fans of the big clubs who think football doesn't matter unless it involves the top 6. Which unfortunately is never because there's millions of 'em, especially online.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
They seem to love the idea that us and bournemouth are somehow rivals (despite over 80 miles between the clubs), yet less than 40 miles to croydon is completely incomprehensible.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Most neutrals don't get it though. Look what they all say on Facebook groups whenever it's mentioned. Derision, usually.

Then they’re ****ing stupid. How many years does it take? Are we some sort of Palestine? Do we all just go round denying something because we’ve not heard of? The PL has a lot to answer for including lowering intelligence.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's nice to find something that makes me feel less old.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

To be fair, that was every home game back in the day, not just Palace!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
...start by banging on about the origins of, how odd it is, blah blah bloody blah EVERYTIME we play them? :annoyed:

It’s starting to get slightly annoying now. Even Martians know, yet the media approach like it’s some sort of news scoop whenever we play each other. In other news, bears’ shit in woods...

Just wait and see what it will be like for the cup final :facepalm:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Had this discussion with so many people before. Many a time people have said surely Southampton or Bournemouth is nearer, northerners in particular seem to think the south coast is a little 50 mile stretch of land.

My optician said to me the other day that it must be handy me being able to pop home on a flight to Newquay.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
To be fair, the media (national radio and TV) are simply explaining to people who live in places like Cirencester and Hunstanton a little bit about the background to a football match they may be about to watch or commentary the may be about to suffer. The media journos are not some pimply sociology student in tight trousers preparing a thesis on the origins (etc etc). It isn't important; this shitey drivel is not meant for us.

That said, who was the bellend on R5 yesterday who got almost everything about BHA and the rivalry wrong? At one point he claimed that 'Seagulls' came about because it was suggested by Palarse fans. FFS. I was wondering whether to call in and ask if said eager young man was Dougie Reichtstuff in disguise ????

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Last word on the outrage.....don't forget.... Ahem.....

Brighton who?

#undertheradar

(It keeps the transfer fees lower, and reduces the risk of west upper concourse being overrun by spotty yoof in tight trousers).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just out of interest, I looked them up, and you make a very good point.

According to googlemaps:

Cardiff City Stadium to Liberty Stadium 43.4 miles
Portman Road to Carrow Road 44.4 miles
Amex to Selhurst 46.0 miles

I think what the ignorati mean is 'why aren't Palace rivals with a local London team, like Charlton, Millwall, Queen's Park Rangers, Brentford or Barnet? ????

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Then they’re ****ing stupid. How many years does it take? Are we some sort of Palestine? Do we all just go round denying something because we’ve not heard of? The PL has a lot to answer for including lowering intelligence.

Top quality rant! All it lacks is an allusion to Nazi Germany :bowdown::lolol:

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003

It's good to see that they got this right. It was the opening game of the season at the Goldstone and we won 1-0. Very lively in the North Stand as there was no segregation in those days.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder

Love your new avatar:thumbsup:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Had this discussion with so many people before. Many a time people have said surely Southampton or Bournemouth is nearer, northerners in particular seem to think the south coast is a little 50 mile stretch of land.

This

My optician said to me the other day that it must be handy me being able to pop home on a flight to Newquay.

I had this all the time when I lived in Liverpool. I sometimes visited the West Country after visiting my parents near Lewes. I would get comments like 'Oh that's lovely, it must be great to live near Cornwall. Countless times this weird lack of south coast knowledge was displayed. However this was soon dispelled once I started to refer to Glasgow as nearby.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here