Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace losing 5-6 million again

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Though I doubt anything will actually happen to them, it will surely limit their playing budget and how much will be spent on signings. Also lost out on top grade for their Academy which I believe may cut some funding from the FA ?

Oct 25, 2003
"Parish hinted that Joel Ward is on a better wage than Clyne was and Wilbraham and Martin are getting paid very well."

pretty insane if true

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
This explains why the Palace Trolls have been as quiet as church mice on here recently.

Don't see too many boldly quoting Steve Parish or CPFC2010 now.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
"Parish hinted that Joel Ward is on a better wage than Clyne was and Wilbraham and Martin are getting paid very well."

pretty insane if true

And they've increased the wage bill by £40k per week, giving them an annual spend on wages, bonuses etc of £10M... :(

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
not looking good for them:

Hambo to SP – Squad & transfer situation. Was sale of DA & SS given the ok because of the RM deal?
SP – No. They aren’t related, we got a bid we thought was a good bid for both players & took them, always things going on inside the squad, DA year left on contract either offer a new deal or take offer, everyone felt that it was needed a change. Darren had goals, challenges etc.

SP – Funds are tight (reply to what Dougie saying) we agreed to raise wage bill by roughly £40k a week, with bonuses we have about £2.5m wage bill atm. Club, training ground & wages etc, £5.5-£6m loss, some of transfer money has to reduce that deficit slightly, never gonna raise that in a year from transfer fees. Not possible. So whilst the owners are happy to put in an amount of money it has to be sustainable to be done every year. If we’d bought RM there’d have been more money going out in transfers than coming in. People like Clyne on low money, replaced by Joel Ward who is in a diff situation (more money obviously). Aaron Wilbraham & Martin brought in, other players around fringe of squad weren’t necessarily bought by Dougie. Sit where wage bill increased by £40k a week we lose £6m a year. We buy players to win football matches, not a big name player who just excites people. 20 goals a season will have inflated price, no guarantee it will still happen that he plays well. Got to KEEP ROOM FOR THE YOUNGSTERS, can’t compete on any level unless we bring players through the academy, essential part of what we do, no point taking in, first question are they better than Reise A, De Silva? Why take them on loan? Don’t care if they come from Chelsea and have sexy name. No point of academy unless they play. Joniesta come back from injury, like a new player, haven’t sold Wilf. Says if we all believe wilf is worth 8-10-15m, part of money is like keeping Wilf at club who’d cost £5m in the market, turned down £4.5m in Jan. Unless we get 25k through the turnstiles we will be here.

Hambo – Are you frustrated when you read fans’ opinions or do you get where they come from? No, feel for them really cos we wanna give people news that excites them, why’d they not do that? Some people think negatively. Entitled to their opinions. All that matters is if we win or lose, can go one or two ways, can go out spend money & do well, but can be forced into it and it can go badly wrong, talks about Leicester getting rid of Beckford. Throwing money not the answer, try to get their head away from that noise. Made a bid on a couple of players this week, not marquee signings, different use to how they are currently being used.
In the long term leaking names to papers isn’t going to benefit the club. The more people wanna talk about this football club (the better) what’d i rather have more comment & more fans, more dissent and opinion but be more successful yes. We love it cos we all know how to play it & who to pick etc. Sometimes he just cannot answer it cos there’s so much or it’s jeopardise future of club.
Sometimes Parish has to circle back as things are said that he doesn’t know about, he doesn’t talk to Dougie every minute of every day. Sometimes he doesn’t know for sure if things are wrong. Final decision rests with the board in financial sense, player not sold unless he knows, but lots of convos that don’t necessarily amount to anything.
Moves onto academy... well done on getting cat 2. Can we still go for cat 1?

SP – So much of it that is... need to talk to Gary. So much seems so far away from being anything that would make a better footballer, for example just had to have separate changing rooms for match officials, own dressing room, bathroom etc etc. The goalposts moved throughout whole assessment, when bigger clubs didn’t want a school on site the rule moved away. They don’t want Palace to be cat 1. Clear to him what the agenda is. Happy to be Cat 2, should play at Selhurst.

Stadium: What’s likely timescale with decision/is there a time to abandon the CPP plan. SP says current site looking a lot more positive, need people to rally around CPP, not something they can do on their own, got to be seen as better for park & athletics. Hopeful that redevelopment of selhurst can be a reality, ideas of part funding, defo made progress but cannot be shared with anyone yet, but will see it soon.

Hopes we’ll be in the prem in 5 years. Talks about crowds & income. Youngsters need to come through, right combination of senior pros, don’t wanna be worse than where we are, not gonna go to ridiculous lengths to gamble. Read a fan who said we should be more like Soton, well run club, but SP says they get loads of help from council, got a billionaire, invested eye watering amounts of money. Agrees that well run club but it’s just not where we are. If a multi billionaire wants to buy Palace they’ll stand aside. As long as duty of care will be honoured they would stand aside, not current situation, might happen, SP thinks we are incredibly attractive proposition, finite amount of money. 900k people in Bromley & Croydon, almost double pop of Manchester. Bigger than Norwich & Ipswich. Fickle fans in terms of attendance, cup games increased attendance do not help. 19k 20k means £3m more a year. CPFC2010 run club very very tightly, Leeds wage bill more or less the same as us, but £25k a week watch leeds every week. Guy responds by saying leeds are a big club & saw leeds when they were in the premier league, most of our fans are generational fans, the son of a son etc.

Would you see 15th this season as progression?

No not really, of course not. We want to try and push for play offs... people might think that’s ridiculous because we haven’t signed a player, we were 3/6 points off then we got the cup run and fell away, didn’t have enough from an attacking perspective. Not a million miles away, why would we want to start from a different position? Blackpool got promoted on a wage bill about a third of ours.

Where do you expect to finish?
Until we get the first few games you don’t know, expecting to get better than last season, want one or two things to fall into place. Last year makeshift back four and had our best run.

If you could go back in time now would you still want to be co chairman?

Yes, wouldn’t want the club to disappear, tough job but of course it is ‘my football club’. I love my football club as much as the fans do’

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
The Zaha Bolton bid has come down again to £4.5m I see. They said £5m the other week.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I don't expect our losses to be less than that and I don't expect the sentiments expressed to be very different. We are simply at a higher level right now and thereby hopefully in a much better position.

It does bring in to question though a great many of the comments by the CPFC 2010 guys which Seasider has regaled us with in recent months - their integrity or his idiocy or maybe a combination of both. In fairness he wasn't the only Palace fan giving it the big I am on here and now finding that everything that was promised to happen "imminently" has been pushed onto the back burner. The 2 year plan becomes a 5 to 6 year plan becomes a ten years or more plan becomes never-never land :(

In a way I feel sorry for them because their expectation are raised and they are suckered in - go bragging to their enemies and suddenly find it was all a lie.

I wonder if the Seaside character has gone on holiday and if maybe it's permanent

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I note the owners have said their fans are fickle and only turn out for the big cup games!!

That wont go down well with those palace fans who label our support plastic. I suppose at least our plastics buy season tickets and show up every week

How the tides have changed we enter a season on a high of excitement and anticipation and palace are being briefed on a season of low expectation and further losses

Not sure how they can achieve promotion inside 5 years and develop selhurst on that shaky foundation

Last edited:

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I don't expect our losses to be less than that and I don't expect the sentiments expressed to be very different. We are simply at a higher level right now and thereby hopefully in a much better position.

It does bring in to question though a great many of the comments by the CPFC 2010 guys which Seasider has regaled us with in recent months - their integrity or his idiocy or maybe a combination of both. In fairness he wasn't the only Palace fan giving it the big I am on here and now finding that everything that was promised to happen "imminently" has been pushed onto the back burner. The 2 year plan becomes a 5 to 6 year plan becomes a ten years or more plan becomes never-never land :(

In a way I feel sorry for them because their expectation are raised and they are suckered in - go bragging to their enemies and suddenly find it was all a lie.

I wonder if the Seaside character has gone on holiday and if maybe it's permanent

I am pretty sure that the Seaside on here could very well be Seaside Eagle on BBS. Very similar posting styles.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Surely our stadium is generating about 14 times more revenue than theirs currently?!

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Seaside is just a victim of the CPFC2010 propaganda machine.
To hear their owners describing their fan base as 'fickle' is f***ing great, especially as they appear to be serial bullshitters. It might shut up some of their gobshites.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Surely our stadium is generating about 14 times more revenue than theirs currently?!

I'm sure it is but Mr Brown seemingly ensured that our operating costs were not controlled as well as they should have been :(
Unfortunately the result of that, as we are seeing on other threads, is unpopular price hikes in peripheral spend areas. Hopefully there will also be less waste on part time match and car park stewards, numbers for which seemed excessive to many last season reading comments on here - it's not just increasing revenue that improves results as I'm sure Mr Barber knows.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
To hear their owners describing their fan base as 'fickle' is f***ing great, especially as they appear to be serial bullshitters. It might shut up some of their gobshites.
I think the departure of Zaha looks far more possible now with this announcement and that will really upset those fickle fans. I know Parish has stated that both him and Williams will stay, but I think the Parish credibility has suffered a little in the last few days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here