Palace have just bid £31.5 million for a player

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick
Oh I think we've won more than a tourer my friend
The money this season is phenomenal, and in the words of Jim Bowen,
" here's what YOU could have won "

Sorry my understanding was that football was about pride, passion and love of the game NOT how much F...ING money you have to spend on over rated prima donnas who will only sign for you because your stupid enough to pay what THEY want, not because they actually want to play for the club you love.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Sorry my understanding was that football was about pride, passion and love of the game NOT how much F...ING money you have to spend on over rated prima donnas who will only sign for you because your stupid enough to pay what THEY want, not because they actually want to play for the club you love.

Do you actually think players play for a club for the love of it ?
All players are mercenaries , even at the lowest level, and with the PL awash with money, players and agents are making a killing.
I'm not comfortable with it, but I'm sure Parish won't put the club at risk.
I just find it a bit rich that some of you snear at clubs for spending big money, whilst you're running up a £1 mill a month loss year after year.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

Oh dear. You must have been so pleased with yourself for posting that, only to read the ROTM post at the top of the page and to realise that you had not only missed the reason that I posted the picture, but also made yourself look a bit desperate to be noticed. https://twitter.com/YesThatsTheJoke?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

I hope you enjoy the long term stability that the obscene money will no doubt bring your club. Nothing can possibly go wrong now.....

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Do you actually think players play for a club for the love of it ?
All players are mercenaries

Not entirely true though is it? Was Julian Speroni a mercenary? Inigo Calderon at BHA? Le Tissier? Jedinak? Steve Bull? There are plenty of examples throughout the game, today and yesterday, of players who have more going on upstairs than pound signs, unfortunately in the Premier League this goes out the window somewhat and you end up signing overpriced dross of questionable motives and sporadic to non-existent footballing skills like Adebayor or Cabaye (who, it has to be said, was arguably a decent player until he signed for you). No matter how much you try dressing it up, it's not great is it?

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015

Don't be silly!! It's about attendance's and shiny new stadium's.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Against modern football, eh?

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Oh dear. You must have been so pleased with yourself for posting that, only to read the ROTM post at the top of the page and to realise that you had not only missed the reason that I posted the picture, but also made yourself look a bit desperate to be noticed. https://twitter.com/YesThatsTheJoke?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

I hope you enjoy the long term stability that the obscene money will no doubt bring your club. Nothing can possibly go wrong now.....

My apologies
I'll make sure in future to read the thread first before posting :)

What's the difference from getting £200 mill from the PL or a rich benefactor ?

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Not entirely true though is it? Was Julian Speroni a mercenary? Inigo Calderon at BHA? Le Tissier? Jedinak? Steve Bull? There are plenty of examples throughout the game, today and yesterday, of players who have more going on upstairs than pound signs, unfortunately in the Premier League this goes out the window somewhat and you end up signing overpriced dross of questionable motives and sporadic to non-existent footballing skills like Adebayor or Cabaye (who, it has to be said, was arguably a decent player until he signed for you). No matter how much you try dressing it up, it's not great is it?

Sure there's a few down the years, Speroni and Cannon come to mind,but you can't deny 99% of players are doing it for the money! it's a job.
But don't stop that getting in the way of a few Palace digs Botty !

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
image.jpeg

I agree kinky , a very good signing and he adds competition to wilf and yannick .

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
My apologies
I'll make sure in future to read the thread first before posting :)

What's the difference from getting £200 mill from the PL or a rich benefactor ?

Your promise to read the thread didn't last long did it? You haven't even read the post you are responding to.

My comment obviously had nothing to do with Palace being given money, but about how history suggests they are likely to manage it.

Brighton's case may suggest that the answer to your question is that a rich benefactor may be likely to spend his money more carefully for the long term future of football in his community. However Palace always seem to take the Viv Nicholson approach to money regardless of the source.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Think he is better than those two currently. has more goals in him.

He has goals in him that's for sure . I thought when he broke through at Spurs and for England he would become a great player but he has fell away . Maybe he can push on again for us .

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
He has goals in him that's for sure . I thought when he broke through at Spurs and for England he would become a great player but he has fell away . Maybe he can push on again for us .

He never got much game time last season at Spurs to push on, he tore Chelsea apart in the 5-3 game so has it in his locker - play him everyweek and he will kick on.

Actually Newcastle got a good player out of it as well I see - Richie.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
He's a good signing - especially at £13m. Newcastles drop was primarily due to the fact that they didn't strengthen their abysmal defence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports