Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace fan in peace re Brighton marathon fatality

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
RIP Sam, my heart totally goes out to the family.

Lombardo

Apr 19, 2013
Dave read the OP out tonight at the REMF game, and as well as thinking about those who lost their lives on 9/11, we all thought of Sam and his family.

Just wanted to say a massive thank you to you all for your respectful comments and many many donations.
Also a big thank you for the mention at the REMF game.
The family are very aware of everything you guys have done, and have found it a huge source of comfort.
Big respect to you all, and i must say i was nearly, NEARLY not bothered when your result came through yesterday
Dreading meeting you in the play offs by the way.
Thanks again.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Coroner today recorded a verdict of 'death by misadventure'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-23900695

A runner who collapsed at the Brighton marathon died from a reaction to sports supplements and ibuprofen, a coroner has ruled. Sam Harper Brighouse, 23, collapsed on Grand Avenue, in Hove, 16 miles (26km) into the race on 14 April.

Coroner Veronica Hamilton-Deeley ruled he died of bowel ischemia and a gastro-intestinal haemorrhage. She said this was brought about by a reaction to sports gels, ibuprofen, dehydration and endurance exertion.

Recording a verdict of misadventure at Brighton County Court, she said Mr Harper Brighouse, from Forest Hill, in South East London, died from a combination of complications which had "never been recorded before". She said: "His intent was to undertake to run the Brighton Marathon and [he] prepared entirely sensibly. He didn't indulge in any risky behaviour. The products he used to support him were recognised and recommended.

"Everything that Sam did was entirely appropriate and yet events took an unexpected and unintended turn which led to his death. This is a definition of misadventure."
Runners at Brighton Marathon More than 9,000 people took part in the Brighton Marathon in April

The inquest was told that at the time of his death, his potassium levels were three times the normal level which caused his heart to stop.

Speaking after the inquest his uncle, Robert Brighouse, thanked the people who attended to his nephew after he collapsed. "Sam's death was described by the coroner as extraordinarily rare," said Mr Brighouse. "But it is a tragic reminder that participation in any endurance event, and taking gels and analgesics to help you get through it, carries a level of risk - no matter how fit you are or how hard you train."

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Coroner today recorded a verdict of 'death by misadventure'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-23900695

A runner who collapsed at the Brighton marathon died from a reaction to sports supplements and ibuprofen, a coroner has ruled. Sam Harper Brighouse, 23, collapsed on Grand Avenue, in Hove, 16 miles (26km) into the race on 14 April.

Coroner Veronica Hamilton-Deeley ruled he died of bowel ischemia and a gastro-intestinal haemorrhage. She said this was brought about by a reaction to sports gels, ibuprofen, dehydration and endurance exertion.

Recording a verdict of misadventure at Brighton County Court, she said Mr Harper Brighouse, from Forest Hill, in South East London, died from a combination of complications which had "never been recorded before". She said: "His intent was to undertake to run the Brighton Marathon and [he] prepared entirely sensibly. He didn't indulge in any risky behaviour. The products he used to support him were recognised and recommended.

"Everything that Sam did was entirely appropriate and yet events took an unexpected and unintended turn which led to his death. This is a definition of misadventure."
Runners at Brighton Marathon More than 9,000 people took part in the Brighton Marathon in April

The inquest was told that at the time of his death, his potassium levels were three times the normal level which caused his heart to stop.

Speaking after the inquest his uncle, Robert Brighouse, thanked the people who attended to his nephew after he collapsed. "Sam's death was described by the coroner as extraordinarily rare," said Mr Brighouse. "But it is a tragic reminder that participation in any endurance event, and taking gels and analgesics to help you get through it, carries a level of risk - no matter how fit you are or how hard you train."

Blimey. That's worrying, I use gels when I cycle, and ibuprofen. Poor bloke. Are the recommendations about these products going to change as a result of this, I wonder?

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Same sentiments from me as from everyone else on here. My thoughts and prayers are with the family and with his friends such as you. Family and friends must and do come before football rivalry, however enjoyable it might be, as you guys have shown by your embracing of the REMF.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Blimey. That's worrying, I use gels when I cycle, and ibuprofen. Poor bloke. Are the recommendations about these products going to change as a result of this, I wonder?

Why would you use pain-killers?

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Again R.I.P you good man!. Very worrying though, I collapsed after a marathon in Suffolk 4 years ago and it was the only time I took sports drinks before and during the race, plus gels so I'm wondering if this could be thd reason. I was fine after an hour once I'd drunk lots of water. Don't run marathons anymore!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here