Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Palace away - never forget what Bill Shankly said about hooliganism.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I'm old and lived through the Shankly era, but I cannot remember ever seeing such a good video/interview.

He was years ahead of his time in many ways, but also a chance to see how much the spectator participation has moved on.

Well worth 17 minutes of anyone,s time who is over 40.

Simply superb...!!

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
To save me watching the interview can someone post what Bill does say about it? Ta

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
To save me watching the interview can someone post what Bill does say about it? Ta
He said it's natural for groups of men to have an argument, lose their temper and have a fist-fight. "Real" men fight with their fists and don't stab you in the back, he suggests. He thought it was natural for 100 men to fight each other, and that the press should ignore it and let them get on with it.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
He said it's natural for groups of men to have an argument, lose their temper and have a fist-fight. "Real" men fight with their fists and don't stab you in the back, he suggests. He thought it was natural for 100 men to fight each other, and that the press should ignore it and let them get on with it.
Thanks for that.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
What he said probably wasn’t wrong. The thing is, football hooliganism wasn’t as he described. It wasn’t a bunch of blokes having a ‘fair’ fist fight over an argument in a crowd. It was pre planned violence targeted at smaller groups. Nothing fair about kicking the shit out of people and causing fear in the innocent. Bill comes across as a man of his time. A decent bloke but his life experience didn’t seem to include women or cowardly thugs. Great interview with a great football man.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here