Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace about to be taken over by Yanks

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Josh Harris hasn't got a fantastic record.

He owns the Philly 76ers (2nd worst basketball team in the NBA) and the New Jersey Devils hockey team, also having a very bad season. He hasn't put much money into either of them and the Philly fan who sits behind me at work can't stand him.

Apollo and Blackstone both PE forms noted for pumping acquisition targets full of debt.

I wouldn't be rejoicing at this news if I was a Palace fan.....
Sounds encouraging.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Exciting times for Palace, or maybe times that will end in tears.

Sadly, we won't have to wait long for the gloating loads of money goons to arrive on here I suspect.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
One observation is that these American financiers are not in it to provide funds to palace as a charity. At some point a chunk of the Premier League money will be expected to flow back into their pockets.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Pooled broadcast revenue is easy money.
A piece of the Sky $$$ is a nice piece of change, and they pay it you whether you're any good, or not, whether you start the 7 Dwarves or an actual team.
Provided you dodge relegation every year, you can just sip cash from the Sky fire hydrant.

The Pittsburgh Pirates have been plowing this furrow for 25 years in major league baseball; I expect the B-school boys with the sports management degrees have sussed out that the EPL can be played the same way.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Is that the plan now, redevelop Selhurst rather than find a new site?

I think so Darren , we have had ongoing talks with the council and sainsburys so it is the plan I think . How long it will take is another matter .

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
One observation is that these American financiers are not in it to provide funds to palace as a charity. At some point a chunk of the Premier League money will be expected to flow back into their pockets.

They might want it back as shares !

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Yanks probably see it as a franchise way into premier league. Will snap it up cheap and move it to somewhere more attractive. Like Kabul.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I assume the Palace fans will be up in arms because of their anti modern football stance.

Personally I wouldn't blame them. If Bloom ever sells to some foreign owner I'm out.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
You know that this will mean 'The Dirty Cheats' will end up probably the richest club in the world and go on to dominate world football for the next millennium don't you.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think so Darren , we have had ongoing talks with the council and sainsburys so it is the plan I think . How long it will take is another matter .

I'm not trying to stir things Dougie, but I was at a presentation by Deloitte's football group a few weeks ago, and they said that it's the best time ever to be buying a PL or Championship club, and that the PL have been sounded out about having a club relocate overseas, in a similar way to the NFL having a London based franchise.

My personal view is that it won't go ahead, mainly because if the franchise club was relegated , the owners (and fans) would lose interest at the prospect of Rotherham or Blackburn on a Tuesday night.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
it could work out well or just as equally turn into a total disaster. The only certain part is that some good ol Yankee boy won't be looking to buy them out of some deep seated love affair. It will no more than him seeing money to be made, even if that means ripping the guts and soul of the club to do so. But hey just as long as he takes that f in drum with him:sick:

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I fear for Pallis if this is true. With American owners who knows what you might get. Goal music, garish shirts, drummers, a ludicrous animal nickname that has no connection with your town. Where could it end?

Pooled broadcast revenue is easy money.
A piece of the Sky $$$ is a nice piece of change, and they pay it you whether you're any good, or not, whether you start the 7 Dwarves or an actual team.
Provided you dodge relegation every year, you can just sip cash from the Sky fire hydrant.

The Pittsburgh Pirates have been plowing this furrow for 25 years in major league baseball; I expect the B-school boys with the sports management degrees have sussed out that the EPL can be played the same way.

Yep - this kind of sums up my general view too.

Sentiment aside, you have to say this is still very good news for Palace. The suspicion is that the current owners have outperformed or got lucky (it's matters not now which) but they figured out that for whatever reason (money, commitment) they weren't the ones to take Palace to the next stage higher hence their willingness to sell.

Yes - there are two types of mogul owner these days 1) the ego-driven philanthropist like Abramovich, the Man City Sheikhs or Fernandez who do it all with no reasonable expectation of getting a quick return on their money and 2) then there are the financiers like the Glaziers - and Palace have clearly got the second type when I'm guessing most fans would prefer the egotist to the profiteer if that was the two choices.

But these Wall St guys will protect their investment fiercely so I can see Palace getting the funds to push them away from being the perienniel relegation bet.

Quite possibly Palace could now lose that yo-yo tag.

But never any guarantees in sport as you can see with American Villa's close shave this season.

But I do see this as Palace consolidating their luck once again from the moment that Barnes header hit the crossbar and bounced to safety.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
American owners have worked out fantastically well for Aston Villa and Manchester United, I hope Palace enjoy their new owners as much as the fans of those two clubs.

:)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
American owners have worked out fantastically well for Aston Villa and Manchester United, I hope Palace enjoy their new owners as much as the fans of those two clubs.

:)

Will the Palace purists cut all ties with the club and start FC Croydon in a similar way to the FCUM boys?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here