Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Pakistan vs NZ First Test

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Can't understand that Pakistan declaration at all. Why bother giving NZ even the tiniest chance of chasing a total? There's no chance they can win - by taking all 10 NZ wickets in 15 overs. If NZ lose 3 or 4 they can just bat out the rest :shrug:

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
Reckon twitchiness of the umpires regarding the light might scupper this

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
Can't understand that Pakistan declaration at all. Why bother giving NZ even the tiniest chance of chasing a total? There's no chance they can win - by taking all 10 NZ wickets in 15 overs. If NZ lose 3 or 4 they can just bat out the rest :shrug:
Strange one. I can understand setting up an exciting finish but there's nothing in it for Pakistan.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
I've just come back from Pakistan after watching the Multan and Karachi tests.
It was probably the best tour I've been on in 17 years of following England. Everyone was so friendly and kind and the hotels and food were top notch. It was also very affordable.
England return to Pakistan in Oct' 24 for three test matches. I'd highly recommend it.
Where did you stay in Multan? We stayed in the second best hotel in 2005(I can’t recall it’s name) and some of our group found it ‘challenging’. The Pakistani people though were fantastic!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Stokes has ruined cricket

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
Still struggling to understand why these matchess are scheduled to close after the available light gets too bad for play - sunset is a calculable known quantity, it shouldn't be beyond the wits of those in charge to start half an hour (or more) earlier, shirley?

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Still struggling to understand why these matchess are scheduled to close after the available light gets too bad for play
You'd need to play 6 day tests to fit the overs in, in Pakistan at this time of year.
Or find a way to play under lights that doesn't involve a ball that makes conditions even flatter than they already are over there most of the time.

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
You'd need to play 6 day tests to fit the overs in, in Pakistan at this time of year.
Or find a way to play under lights that doesn't involve a ball that makes conditions even flatter than they already are over there most of the time.
Sunrise 07:15, sunset 17:52 - 10:37 hours of daylight today

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Sunrise 07:15, sunset 17:52 - 10:37 hours of daylight today
Not sure about the Karachi, but I know during the Multan match they were saying that the smog in the morning could delay the start. Which was presumably scheduled for a normal time in the morning some point after 10am.
Leaving that aside, I'm not sure starting a test match at 7:30am is a good idea. Might be good for the TV people in NZ to be fair. Although I think their TV rights are worth about 50p.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Every captain who has come into contact with Bazball has gone on to do something daft afterwards. This is the next cab off the rank.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Inevitable, yes, but it's peak cricket to battle for 5 full days then call the match off with just three overs left to play, under lights. NZ one wicket from victory, Pakistan just 15 runs short of victory. Surely they could have played it out?
You'd think so wouldn't you.
To be clear, I'm not actually watching it, so I've no idea how dark it actually was.
But they really have to accept that if they're playing in Pakistan at this time of year, then they're going to consistently be playing under lights for the last few overs every day.
I don't know how the lights at the stadiums in Pakistan compare to those in England, but we've got a lot more play in over the last few years in conditions which would have been too dark before the lights were used.
Which is also probably one of the reasons why scores have tended to be lower.

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
You'd think so wouldn't you.
To be clear, I'm not actually watching it, so I've no idea how dark it actually was.
But they really have to accept that if they're playing in Pakistan at this time of year, then they're going to consistently be playing under lights for the last few overs every day.
I don't know how the lights at the stadiums in Pakistan compare to those in England, but we've got a lot more play in over the last few years in conditions which would have been too dark before the lights were used.
Which is also probably one of the reasons why scores have tended to be lower.

I was watching it was tense and gripping! The umpires made it clear if NZ bowled pace they would go off for light so it was spin only for the last 30 mins. They hadn't been taken off for light any way through so there was no base reading to match from earlier days. Definitely could have finished three overs, the stadium lights were already on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here