Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pakistan v England test match

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I fancy Nick Compton would be ahead of him in the pecking order. The fact Compton was born in South Africa and started playing there, his father and uncle both playing for Natal, makes this a good fit.
Although he can occupy the crease (something nobody else seems to be able to do), he can't dominate and doesn't look good enough to make daddy hundreds. He has averaged 30ish, having toured India and New Zealand (before they kicked on a bit), and that average is inflated by back to back 100s against NZ. In his 8 innings against India, he made one notable score - 57. I suspect he'd be completely owned by the South Africans and for that reason would prefer to take the more experienced Carberry who hasn't been given anything like the opportunity afforded to Compton.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Although he can occupy the crease (something nobody else seems to be able to do), he can't dominate and doesn't look good enough to make daddy hundreds. He has averaged 30ish, having toured India and New Zealand (before they kicked on a bit), and that average is inflated by back to back 100s against NZ. In his 8 innings against India, he made one notable score - 57. I suspect he'd be completely owned by the South Africans and for that reason would prefer to take the more experienced Carberry who hasn't been given anything like the opportunity afforded to Compton.

Compton had the misfortune of having to replace Andrew Strauss in the line-up, and that brought big pressure. The expectation on him this time would be significantly decreased. He is also older and wiser.

He also broke his finger in the 1st Test vs NZ in 2013 and damaged his ribs at the start of the 2nd test so unsurprisingly under-performed in that series, then fell out with Andy Flower. Yet he has the temperament for test cricket and has amassed runs consistently in the county championship.

We don't need him to dominate bowlers, we just need him to stick around and get 30s and 40s, see off the new ball and let the other strokermakers play around him. I fancy he can now do that job better than Carberry and he's three years younger so could buy the selectors a few more years to bring through a younger replacement. If we pick Carberry now then we'll have the same problem again in 1-2 years time.

Either way, there's no one out there making a convincing case to be the partner for Cook.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The way I see that situation is as follows:

1. The following openers have already been picked ahead of him for the test team (and forgive me if I've missed anyone out but the list is getting longer with every series): Compton, Root, Carberry, Robson, Lyth, Ali. This implies he is not that highly regarded by the selectors.
2. He is clearly a decent one-day player, but hasn't consistently amassed big scores in the county 4-day game.
3. Our policy of promoting one-day batsmen into the test team is not proving that successful (i.e. Buttler, Bairstow, Ali).

Nearly there - you missed the failed Trott experiment from your openers list!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The cupboard is bare with opening batsmen. Neither Compton or Carberry excelled themselves in county cricket last year. Mind you we all chucked when Australia called Chris Rodgers up to open at 35 and he did a fine job.

For me it's either Hales or whether James Vince or Tom Fell could move from 3 to open. It's a matter of time before Fell breaks into the England side, he scored over 1,000 at 3 in a struggling Worcestershire side at over 40 last year.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Nearly there - you missed the failed Trott experiment from your openers list!

My bad - I realised that 10 minutes later!

The situation is so desperate that if Kevin Pietersen announced he was sorry for everything that had gone before but offered to step into the breach as emergency opener then I'd be tempted to take that. I fancy he would have got a damn sight more than either Lyth or Ali has managed in the past two series. That said, I accept he is a ****.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The cupboard is bare with opening batsmen. Neither Compton or Carberry excelled themselves in county cricket last year.

They both scored more than 1000 runs, so they didn't exactly fail.

I don't see any point even talking about Pietersen: he's given up f/c cricket but if you do want to bring back an old England player, there was one who scored 1000 runs last year and is definitely an opener :)

b96881194e2f524eb0449b82ac20ade0dc26edca.jpg

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

I don't see any point even talking about Pietersen: he's given up f/c cricket but if you do want to bring back an old England player, there was one who scored 1000 runs last year and is definitely an opener :)

View attachment 69782

Good choice, provided you're prepared to park the plane to South Africa outside his house and connect a slide to his bedroom window.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

View attachment 69782

It's such a shame about Trescothick. He'd still be opening for England now at 39. Perfect partner for Cook as well (well, nearly perfect, one could have been a right hander I suppose.)

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Ah, but if he were, Cook's England career would just be getting going

Hmmmm, I take your point but they would have fitted him in somewhere. Cook was identified for greatness from a very young age, it might have meant that one of Strauss's slumps would have proved fatal before he took matters into his own hands or Bell may have only got half the caps he did...

Or Pietersen may have not been tolerated for as long as he was.

He certainly would have played a lot less one day cricket, which would have been no bad thing.

Interesting stuff.

Last edited:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Talking about wicketkeepers - I watched Chris Read at Horsham in the summer when we played Notts. He gave a wicketkeeping masterclass and his batting wasn't too shabby either. I know he's 37 but surely he could've been England's keeper for the last 10/12 years? Ok he'd have been competing with Prior for a significant chunk of that time but purely in terms of wicketkeeping has there been a better keeper over this period??

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Talking about wicketkeepers - I watched Chris Read at Horsham in the summer when we played Notts. He gave a wicketkeeping masterclass and his batting wasn't too shabby either. I know he's 37 but surely he could've been England's keeper for the last 10/12 years? Ok he'd have been competing with Prior for a significant chunk of that time but purely in terms of wicketkeeping has there been a better keeper over this period??

Didn't he have the best average of any Div 1 keeper in the CC last year?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Playing in the sub contingent is never easy. South Africa ( the best team in world) 186 ao and 79/6 in India.

Not the greatest wicket though. Highest innings score so far is 201 and only batsmen have passed 50. There's nothing like a good test match wicket ... and this is nothing like a good test match wicket

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Wicket keeping and batting together in the Test arena is not easy. Read's batting is not Test class (I remember him ducking into a yorker !) and I feel would inevitably impact on his keeping performance. This may be a reason he has not been chosen.

Playing Championship cricket with confidence can only be an indictor of what will be achieved at Test level where there is far more scrutiny and challenge of weaknesses.

That said I do not believe Buttler or Bairstow are the answer in Test cricket. Buttler may come back refreshed in a year or two but I would not bet on it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here