WTF just happened? :laugh:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
We're still (possibly) loose.. :dunce:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
WTF just happened? :laugh:
No idea. England are supposed to 15 for 3 before Root scores his customary hundred and Stokes clobbers a few to make some sort of recovery.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Only three sixes in 75 overs?

No wonder people aren't interested in test cricket anymore and are moving to the real and figurative fireworks that the hundred provides.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
...meanwhile at the Abu Dhabi T10 someone batting for Delhi Bulls has just hit a six with a recorded shot power of 1.176 kilowatts. Has science gone too far?

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Didn’t manage to watch any of it today, but I’m assuming the pitch is as flat as a pancake?

4 centuries clearly suggests fantastic batting but was it helped with questionable bowling?

I suppose what I’m trying to get at here is.. do we stand any chance of taking 20 wickets and winning this test?

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Also just seen Tagenarine Chanderpaul is 47 not out on test debut in Perth.

If he’s half as good as his Dad …

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Didn’t manage to watch any of it today, but I’m assuming the pitch is as flat as a pancake?

4 centuries clearly suggests fantastic batting but was it helped with questionable bowling?

I suppose what I’m trying to get at here is.. do we stand any chance of taking 20 wickets and winning this test?
Which is exactly what Vaughan said. From his experience a good batting pitch in Pakistan doesn't deteriorate as much as you'd normally expect.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Looking for records tomorrow: the big one to beat is 903/7d for |England v Oz in 1938 as highest Test score. That match also recorded the biggest victory margin in Test history (innings and 579 runs) and most runs conceded - 298- by a bowler in Test innings.

That might be too much of a stretch but Stokes (or even Livingstone) to beat his boss's fastest Test century (off 54 balls), or at least the fastest by England player: 76 by Gilbert Jessop (the one that Bairstow was so close to with 77 balls).

Nathan Astle's 200 of 153 balls could be at risk if Stokes wants to bat till after lunch; his 163 ball 200 against South Africa in 2016 is 2nd fastest, and fastest by England player.

But then again, we might be all out for 550.....

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
20 over score 141/0 - we saw lower totals in the recent T20 World Cup
50 over score 305/3 - would be a pretty impressive total in a One-Day International

If they'd played all 90 overs we'd have scored over 600 in the day. I remember Edgbaston 2005 when we scored 400 on the first day and that was rollocking - yesterday was just plain ridiculous!

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
20 over score 141/0 - we saw lower totals in the recent T20 World Cup
50 over score 305/3 - would be a pretty impressive total in a One-Day International

If they'd played all 90 overs we'd have scored over 600 in the day. I remember Edgbaston 2005 when we scored 400 on the first day and that was rollocking - yesterday was just plain ridiculous!
I remember being at Lords about 20years ago when Mark Richardson batted all day at a rate that wouldn't have made 150. Feel sleepy just thing about it.

Anyway ... Game on

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Mahmood shocking numbers on his debt, 653-9, well draw at best for Pak in this one

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
657 all out, seems a bit disappointing after the first day - ridiculous I know!

Think our bowlers will toil as well. Pakistan 17-0 at Lunch.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Sky Sports Cricket youtube channel, the Athers interview with Baz is well worth a watch. He's like a cricketing Brian Clough, very intelligent approach. No wonder his turning up to manage this team was like a switch being flicked. He's very humble, but completely authentic, driven to help talent flourish.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Pointless pitch. Crap ball. Dull game

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here