A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Easily our best keeper….def should keep his place (although Pope did a decent job).
I think it would be self defeating to make Pope take the gloves just when we finally seem to have found somebody who doesn't spontaneously combust when put at 3.
Might be a case for Bairstow to do the job if he comes back in the same sort of form he had last season, but there's no guarantee of that.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Not going to go 5 days is it? Will be interesting to see how our young leggie does...
At least it's lasted longer than the Australia v South Africa test at the Gabba.
Reading some of the comments from the South African team, they seem to have convinced themselves that all the pitches they play on are hopelessly bowler friendly, while all the pitches other teams play on are far too flat.
I suppose they can't just come out and admit that their batting's shite.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I think it would be self defeating to make Pope take the gloves just when we finally seem to have found somebody who doesn't spontaneously combust when put at 3.
Might be a case for Bairstow to do the job if he comes back in the same sort of form he had last season, but there's no guarantee of that.
While I wouldn't agree with it before, the way we play now there's an argument you may as well put Bairstow to open

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
While I wouldn't agree with it before, the way we play now there's an argument you may as well put Bairstow to open
Put Buttler in at the top with him as well :lolol:
I think that at any given time, enough people are ill or injured that there isn't actually much of a problem fitting people in.
Which just leaves the lack of regular runs from the openers as a problem.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Put Buttler in at the top with him as well :lolol:
I think that at any given time, enough people are ill or injured that there isn't actually much of a problem fitting people in.
Which just leaves the lack of regular runs from the openers as a problem.
We would be 24 for 2 from the first over. Both caught at the wicket going for another 6 and hopelessly misjudging a moving new ball.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Being a cricket know it all, I once pulled TMS up on the three centuries in a series thing.

It seems forgotten that Allan Lamb scored three against that West Indies team in the home series of 1984. He did little else in that series, but it was quite an achievement in what otherwise was a disaster summer.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Being a cricket know it all, I once pulled TMS up on the three centuries in a series thing.

It seems forgotten that Allan Lamb scored three against that West Indies team in the home series of 1984. He did little else in that series, but it was quite an achievement in what otherwise was a disaster summer.
What had TMS claimed that you objected to?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
What had TMS claimed that you objected to?
I don't remember exactly, but it may have been something about no English player managing four centuries in a summer or something like that. Lamb added another century in the single Test against Sri Lanka that August (Which England would have lost had it not been for the weather).

It's like we try to airbrush that summer out.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I don't remember exactly, but it may have been something about no English player managing four centuries in a summer or something like that. Lamb added another century in the single Test against Sri Lanka that August (Which England would have lost had it not been for the weather).

It's like we try to airbrush that summer out.
Niche :thumbsup:
Always enjoy looking through past series to see who had surprisingly bad series and scored lots of runs at the same time.
Vaughan's 02/03 Ashes is another classic - three big hundreds and a next highest score of 34. Two ducks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports