Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Painting ceilings - tips please

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Right, I wasn't going to bother, as they're not that bad, but I figure I ought to do it now whilst we have no furniture and before we get new carpet or I'll end up leaving it for 30 years. Any recommendations on paint or other tips?

I've already made the first mistake by painting the walls first. Sadly they're artex ceilings too.

Careful not to disturb old Artex ceilings too much, I believe they contain asbestos. I'm sure someone smarter than me will be able to confirm how safe it is.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Careful not to disturb old Artex ceilings too much, I believe they contain asbestos. I'm sure someone smarter than me will be able to confirm how safe it is.

I was an asbestos consultant for 3 years. Artex is really nothing to worry about. You could smash a whole ceiling up with a sledge hammer and you'd be hard pushed to detect any fibres in the air.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I was an asbestos consultant for 3 years. Artex is really nothing to worry about. You could smash a whole ceiling up with a sledge hammer and you'd be hard pushed to detect any fibres in the air.

Blimey, what's the chances of THAT?! Still, better to mention it than not mention it eh, on the off-chance that you weren't an asbestos consultant. All I know is one of the flats in block got sold last year and there was some kind of Asbestos Act of 2013 that we had to jump through hoops for as soon as they spotted communal Artex ceilings , including getting an asbestos survey done in the building. The report was about a dozen pages, most of which were disclaimers of one sort or another. Freaked me out a bit as I've been living in essentially an Artex box for the past decade or so.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Lie naked on the floor and think of Rachel Riley. It'll take a while to do the whole ceiling though.

Alternatively - get someone in. If you absolutely have to do it yourself, I wouldn't use the pink paint that dries white for this job. You'll never get every spot on an artexed ceiling - if you do use that paint you'll not only know for sure that you've missed spots, you'll know exactly where you missed them. Ignorance is bliss in this situation.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Right, I wasn't going to bother, as they're not that bad, but I figure I ought to do it now whilst we have no furniture and before we get new carpet or I'll end up leaving it for 30 years. Any recommendations on paint or other tips?

I've already made the first mistake by painting the walls first. Sadly they're artex ceilings too.
I usually get my dad to do it.

Hope that helps.

:)

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I don't know what you do for a living, but the chances are that in the time it takes you to do an acceptable job, you could earn what it'd cost to pay a half decent painter/decorator to do a good job.

This, this, this.

sebtucknott

Aug 22, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Get a decent roller! Makes a huge different to speed, finish and spray reduction.

I've always used this - Harris Powercoat

Ignore the reviews, yes it is heavier than a normal one but you'd have to be a pretty weak to struggle, even my wife used it fine.

Get an extension pole too!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Are you certain they need painting? Sugar soaping them may just do the trick? If previous owners were smokers you need to treat the ceiling first if you are going to paint or it will just seep through in a couple of months. Either way, painting a ceiling is not as bad as people make out. Get good kit and get on with it.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
There's a really great ceiling in the Cistine Chapel. You could always try to get the bloke in who painted that.
He'll probably be a bit expensive, though.

:)

seagullsslimjim

Sep 26, 2003
1: paint the ceiling/wall edges first with 3" brush - pain and time consuming but makes the roller part a lot easier
2: use disposable rollers (9 inch B and Q long hair are fine - under a tenner for pack) - then when first coat done just pull it off the roller, roll up in news paper and bin - then no messy washing of rollers -
3: second coat next day - same process as before
3: make sure than when you are applying the paint you do not roll towards the nearest wall as any splatter will end up on your freshly painted walls

if painting white - silk emulsion 10 litres costs £15 - £20 and 'own brand' is fine (make sure its not matt emulsion)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here