Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Padel

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Anyone here played it?

I’d never heard of it until a few months ago when I kept hearing and reading how much foreign footballers love it and now apparently we’re installing a court at the training complex.

Any good? Cross between tennis and squash by the looks of it.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I've never played it, or indeed had never heard of it until stumbling across a pro tour event in Seville earlier this year.

I'd quite like to give it a go.

IMG_4430.jpeg

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Yep played it. A cross between tennis & squash is correct. Really good exercise because of how fast paced it can be, and easy to pick up for beginners. Seeing more and more courts for this being installed near me. It’s been really popular in Spain & Portugal I believe & now making its way over here.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Yeah, I used to play a couple of times a week but have got out of the habit in recent months. Need to get back on it.

It's a great game. Like @brighton_tom said above, it's easy to pick up for beginners but it's hard to get good. It's like watching a different sport when decent players are on the court.

If I had some money, I'd invest in UK pádel courts. I reckon it might take off in a big way in the near future.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Yeah, I used to play a couple of times a week but have got out of the habit in recent months. Need to get back on it.

It's a great game. Like @brighton_tom said above, it's easy to pick up for beginners but it's hard to get good. It's like watching a different sport when decent players are on the court.

If I had some money, I'd invest in UK pádel courts. I reckon it might take off in a big way in the near future.
So I think I’ve been living in a cave. Asked my mates about Padel after 5 aside tonight and they’ve all played it (including at Battersea Power Station apparently!) and love it. They all said the same as you about investing in it if they had the money.

Might have to try and find a court near here.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Pretty sure I've seen Padel advertised a few times on Eurosport, for anyone wanting to see what its like & check it out.

As Bansko mentioned above, Pickle Ball is also growing in popularity - and my mate out in California said its the game everyone is playing right now.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I really would recommend this for anyone looking to pick up a new social form of exercise. The rules are simple, and its pretty fast paced so within an hour of playing you can have a decent game amongst 4 mates. Especially if you have played tennis or squash before, but not essential. Some of the shots the pros do are insane, and really impressive to watch, but to just pick it up as a social thing & get going as a beginner is easy. Also because the courts are walled in and there are minimal breaks within your game its great exercise, an hours game will provide a very decent work out. Just remember to stretch before!

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
Pretty sure I've seen Padel advertised a few times on Eurosport, for anyone wanting to see what its like & check it out.

As Bansko mentioned above, Pickle Ball is also growing in popularity - and my mate out in California said its the game everyone is playing right now.

Pickle Ball has been on a sharp rise with older folks in rural Ontario over the last couple of years. Never heard of Padel before - but it looks fun!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here