Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paddy the New Football Genius

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Too early and not enough game time to judge, but gave the ball away once in a most lethargic manner yesterday then played an abysmal attempted through ball that the likes of Barnes would have got slated for. Jury's still out for me.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Very much this, doesn't work anywhere near hard enough and the vast majority of the stuff he tries doesn't come off. Yes will create the occasional moment of excitement but that's really all he brings to the table.

That's what Alf Ramsey used to say about Rodney Marsh, Tony Currie etc

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
......poxy '4 points' Gardner this week........

Might have been 6 if we had played someone who could control, hold up, pass, get in to position, show a bit of determination and not just have had a lucky couple of goals.

Seriously, am I the only one that groans when he appears on the team sheet?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Too early and not enough game time to judge, but gave the ball away once in a most lethargic manner yesterday then played an abysmal attempted through ball that the likes of Barnes would have got slated for. Jury's still out for me.

The flip side was that there were not many other options whenever McCourt got the ball. He got dispossessed another time waiting for someone to make a run. In the end, he gave up and played it back and safe after conceding possession a few times.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Might have been 6 if we had played someone who could control, hold up, pass, get in to position, show a bit of determination and not just have had a lucky couple of goals.

No, you're not.......

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
If Mccourt had played 90 mins we would of won, trouble is he just gets used to the pace of the game and the final whistle blows. VERY FRUSTRATING HYPIA.

Do you realise how lame that sounds? He's not some teenager in his first season, he had 25 minutes, if he doesn't understand the pace of Championship at the age of 30 then he never will.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
There is a guy who sits a few rows behind me in WSU who screams 'bring on Paddy ffs' every time one of our attacking moves breaks down. Then he cheers like a deluded resident of a certain type of home when he finally comes on.
Then we get a bit of peace whilst he is on as he plays the usual crap.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Do you realise how lame that sounds? He's not some teenager in his first season, he had 25 minutes, if he doesn't understand the pace of Championship at the age of 30 then he never will.
You obviously have never played football, coming of the bench is not like starting the game chances are your first few touches wont be amazing.

el punal

The problem is that with the way the team are playing at the moment you might get groans for lots of other players when their names appear on the team sheet.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Paddy McCourt
Flatters to decieve or football genius
Maybe a bit of both.
Most if the home games he has come on and played in he has created something basically out of nothing. He is the one player in the squad who has the natural ability and magic to do this.
On the flip side inbetween these flashes he does make mistakes and simple errors. Some of this is wanting to much time on the ball some of it is because no one bar Baldock ever seems to make a forward run.
Personally i would like to see him wide left 1 v 1 against the full back. He can go inside and outside and can deliver decent balls into the box. This is where he was most effective at Celtic.
Tex and elliott bennett as well in the side should create a decent attacking balance And may well result in some decent passes being slipped into Baldock

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The simple fact is: if Paddy McCourt had application to match his talent, he wouldn't be playing for us (having been released by Barnsley). He'd be in the Premier League somewhere. Anybody who imagines we've suddenly unearthed a gem that nobody else has spotted, at the age of 30 odd, is deluded.

Clearly has bags of tricks & an eye for a pass. But it does occasionally wind me up hearing people singing his name and begging Hyypia to bring him on, as if his mere presence is guaranteed to single handedly change a game.

I understand people want to see a bit of spark, and I share everyone's frustration when the team is lacking creativity out there, as has happened plenty of times lately. I just fear that hailing McCourt as the Messiah, whose mere presence is guaranteed to produce magic & mystery, is misguided and will, on more occasions than not, lead only to disappointment.

(Heard at the weekend that he smokes unheard-of quantities of fags for a footballer- anyone verify?)

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
One good song and he gives a bit of hope that overweight, bearded alocholics can still make it as a professional footballer. That is why people like him

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Give him the ball in the final third and he looks a dangerous player. Anywhere else on the pitch and he is completely out of his depth. That's basically what you could have said about Tom Finney! But this isn't the 1950's and football nowadays demands a lot more of a player. I struggle to think of a formation where you can afford to have a total passenger playing for you, unless you have incredibly good players around him. You just can't afford to play him in a team that is struggling and edging into a relegation battle.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
The simple fact is: if Paddy McCourt had application to match his talent, he wouldn't be playing for us (having been released by Barnsley). He'd be in the Premier League somewhere. Anybody who imagines we've suddenly unearthed a gem that nobody else has spotted, at the age of 30 odd, is deluded.

Clearly has bags of tricks & an eye for a pass. But it does occasionally wind me up hearing people singing his name and begging Hyypia to bring him on, as if his mere presence is guaranteed to single handedly change a game.

I understand people want to see a bit of spark, and I share everyone's frustration when the team is lacking creativity out there, as has happened plenty of times lately. I just fear that hailing McCourt as the Messiah, whose mere presence is guaranteed to produce magic & mystery, is misguided and will, on more occasions than not, lead only to disappointment.

(Heard at the weekend that he smokes unheard-of quantities of fags for a footballer- anyone verify?)

So very true and it is just a few internet geeks with their clever little songs and oh so humorous word plays on his name that demand he play, the rest of us see him as a waste of talent and wages

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
So very true and it is just a few internet geeks with their clever little songs and oh so humorous word plays on his name that demand he play, the rest of us see him as a waste of talent and wages

I daresay he's quite cheap. And he might occasionally pull something out of the bag for us. I just don't see him as the saviour of our season, nor will I be singing "don't sell McCourt" (which doesn't even make sense in an Albion context).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here