Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pachelbel Canon in D Major

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
While having been in to decent rock/popular music for 40plus years, I also very much enjoy Classical Music - in particular J.S.Bach and (approximate contemporaries, Beethoven (7th Symphony in particular) and coming up to more recent particularly Russian and Scandinavian Music - Stravinsky, Shostakovitch, Rachmaninov, Grieg, Sibelius etc.

The Nice (didn't Keith Emerson go to school in Worthing?) did the Intermezzo from the Karelia Suite by Sibelius many years ago - the original is far, far superior, and I can remember John Peel being extremely sceptical about Keith Emerson saying they had improved on the original, which is wonderful. ELP also did Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition, which I believe was originally written for solo piano but then orchestrated. Seeing it done live a number of years ago by the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra, hearing a Symphony Orchestra at "full volume" with a full range of percussion and brass going would blow many heavy metal bands off the stage, it seems to me.

And for a very good recent film about clkassical musicians, the Last Quartet is thoroughly recommended.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Got a bee in your bonnet about something? Why would you assume that a professional musician doesn't like this piece of music due to music snobbery?

It's a simple case of familiarity breeds contempt. Nothing more.

It was a truly bizarre thing for SSE to say. I haven't met many classical musicians but those I have met are very, very keen to get more people interested in music. Which would make sense, after all, the more people interested, the bigger the audiences, the more money for musicians. What Steve was saying, in effect, that professional musicians aren't interested in making more money - which is very far from the truth.

I'm with your missus on this: it doesn't appeal to me, it's like Albinoni's Adagio and been overplayed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here