Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] P and O

johanngull

Jul 8, 2015
That's what I was thinking, so how can this be cheaper for P&O than keeping existing staff?

Not sure but when you factor in pension contributions, employer N.I. contributions, holiday pay, sick pay etc etc, i guess it adds up.
I am just hazarding a guess, not entirely sure what "employee" entitlements agency staff have from the employer (P&O)
Shocking way to treat your employees though.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
“ Brexit has also clearly contributed to its difficulties.

In the pre-pandemic and pre-Brexit period, P&O Ferries was carrying some two million units of freight per year, but that is understood to have fallen as trade in goods with the EU has fallen.

This will have affected the Hull-Rotterdam crossing in particular, and it is also understood that, with fewer Irish trucking firms using Great Britain as a "land bridge" to and from continental Europe, traffic on the Liverpool-Dublin crossing will have been hurt.

To be fair a lot of people who voted for Brexit said they were prepared to endure some pain for the greater good of Brexit. I know this as I saw many memes posted on Facebook stating this. A lot of them were retired.

I suspect that, in reality, voters were happy for "other" people to endure some pain for the greater good of Brexit.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Not sure but when you factor in pension contributions, employer N.I. contributions, holiday pay, sick pay etc etc, i guess it adds up.
I am just hazarding a guess, not entirely sure what "employee" entitlements agency staff have from the employer (P&O)
Shocking way to treat your employees though.

Shocking is an understatement - P&O must have known this was happening for some time, and there's simply no excuse for dropping this on the poor staff the same day. I really hope there's some kind of legal obligation to give them some decent compensation, at the very least.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
This is not fire and rehire it's fire and hire someone else! I have no idea how this can be legal..

It doesn't make sense. Their definition of "Redundancy" is far removed from any understanding I have had of the term in the past.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I can say that when my company has used agency staff, we have paid the agency £18.50 per hour, guaranteed 8 hours a day, any work over the 8 hours or if with us 5 days 40 hours per week £27.25 per hour. The agency person was actually on £10 per hour, or £15 per hour above 8 hours a day worked.

I think I read it is Filipinos who being put in place.
The French workers in Calais haven’t been fired as French employment law is a lot stronger.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
To be fair a lot of people who voted for Brexit said they were prepared to endure some pain for the greater good of Brexit. I know this as I saw many memes posted on Facebook stating this. A lot of them were retired.

I suspect that, in reality, voters were happy for "other" people to endure some pain for the greater good of Brexit.
Don't forget, the theory was that outside the EU, we could be more " Competetive " when it came to trade ie, bend rules, ignore rules, cut costs, make it cheaper and export it to Europe and make a better profit.

So, exports were meant to replace imports so the trade balance shifted but, all we have now is a lower regulation ( and set to get worse) economy cutting costs ( staff protections) but not exporting easily due to red tape.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think I read it is Filipinos who being put in place.
The French workers in Calais haven’t been fired as French employment law is a lot stronger.
Shorter working week, better staff pay and conditions, bloody EU ....No wonder its collapsing. We got out just in time!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Don't forget, the theory was that outside the EU, we could be more " Competetive " when it came to trade ie, bend rules, ignore rules, cut costs, make it cheaper and export it to Europe and make a better profit.

So, exports were meant to replace imports so the trade balance shifted but, all we have now is a lower regulation ( and set to get worse) economy cutting costs ( staff protections) but not exporting easily due to red tape.

Yep. It's what people wanted. :thumbsup:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
“ Brexit has also clearly contributed to its difficulties.

In the pre-pandemic and pre-Brexit period, P&O Ferries was carrying some two million units of freight per year, but that is understood to have fallen as trade in goods with the EU has fallen.

This will have affected the Hull-Rotterdam crossing in particular, and it is also understood that, with fewer Irish trucking firms using Great Britain as a "land bridge" to and from continental Europe, traffic on the Liverpool-Dublin crossing will have been hurt.

It wouldn't have helped for sure...

Interesting the way no one in France has been let go, I wonder why that is?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
That's what I was thinking, so how can this be cheaper for P&O than keeping existing staff?

if they're from south america as reported, they could be a lot cheaper. and if also there is no intent to sail, services suspended, would be a lot fewer of them too.

notice the reports also only mention crew, nothing about workers on dockside. do they have none or not affected?

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
if they're from south america as reported, they could be a lot cheaper. and if also there is no intent to sail, services suspended, would be a lot fewer of them too.

notice the reports also only mention crew, nothing about workers on dockside. do they have none or not affected?

That's true, as I doubt there's any minimum pay regs they have to abide by. Not heard anything re: dockside. What a shit company to do things this way, and I truly hope they get some kind of punishment meted out.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Dear Lord above, you people don’t give up do you? It’s nearly six years since the British people voted to leave the EU. Move on with your life FFS.

Sadly I am afraid you can't separate this from Brexit.

UK employment law does not protect it's workers quite as stringently as EU Employment Law does. There will be backlash and financial consequences for P & O ; however is must have been financially costed before taking this action.

The EU could have potentially stopped P&O from trading over this. The UK Government on their own cannot.

The EU has the most diligent and protective Labour Laws in the World. The UK workers don't have that protection any more. It's not like we weren't warned of this. It was one of the biggest argument that Pro Remainders put forward and it gained the " Remain " advocacy many votes.

I don't know all the facts in this case however, I would be willing to bet that there was a transitional period when UK workers would have still been protected by EU Legislation ( Transitional Periods are usually 2 years ). So possibly ran out 2 years ago. However P&O probably shelved this until we come out of Covid Restrictions and the company had " creamed " as much of the Covid Grants as they possibly could

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
It’s mad that after over a decade of the UK voting Tory, and then voting to cut the EU red tape (workers rights), that something like this could happen to working people. I guess this is the Global Britain that some voted for. Fingers crossed you’re not next.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
This is a PR nightmare and if Brexit related a PR nightmare for the Government too.

Now Covid is on the back burner (and with a populist Government in charge more interested in the public reaction to their policies rather than the effect) I think this is going to be lot more expensive for P and O than their accountants advised.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It’s mad that after over a decade of the UK voting Tory, and then voting to cut the EU red tape (workers rights), that something like this could happen to working people. I guess this is the Global Britain that some voted for. Fingers crossed you’re not next.

Lots of Tory MP's screaming blue murder at DP World for all this today. I'm afraid they are reeping the rewards of the Brexit Britain they made

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
On a side note, whilst in Calais last week, it was interesting to see, for the first time in the many years we have been crossing over, an Irish ferry going into Calais port and dock. Bypassing the UK ports and hence bypassing the impacts of Brexit.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Possibly in the true spirit of Brexit, the Government will intervene and nationalise P and O as Great British Ferries ?

It's a no brainer. We clearly aren't taking advantage of the return of Duty Free.

I long for a return of the days you could sail to France at 4:30 in the morning with a 99p Sun voucher on a national holiday, find Tesco Calais shut but grab a traditional Gingsters on the ferry home.

That's why we voted out. Boris understands.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here