Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Oystons get their comeuppance

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
The Oystons were ordered by a court to pay another director £millions. Has this been paid or, having gone into admin, have they got away with not having to pay it?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
The club has been forced into admin by the courts because of the Oystons, rather than the club itself being negligent. I know it's semantics, but the situation is slightly different.

Precisely. This could be what the FA use to reduce the points deduction, while also making sure other clubs don't try to use this in the future to get out of a large points deduction.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yeah week sat we are hoping to go but just waiting for receivers to confirm that they have control of bank accounts.. that should be any day.

Best thing is that oyston is paying the receivers £1.25m to kick him out of the club..

Not over yet but it's looking bloody good.

Cheers for all your support and good wishes on twitter etc.. all the best for the season

As Albion fans, we really do feel your pain, wishing you the best. A corner has been turned and however slow the resurgence is you’ll love it,

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The Oystons were ordered by a court to pay another director £millions. Has this been paid or, having gone into admin, have they got away with not having to pay it?

The receiver has been appointed to take control of all company/ies assets including cash. They’ll run through the correct order of creditors to see who can be repaid. That will take quite a long time. If there’s an insufficiency, inevitably some will lose out.

Separately, if the Oyston’s illegally spirited away company cash or other assets, or signed any personal guarantees, they will be forced to repay those sums back into the Receiver’s company pot, to help pay creditors.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I know it isn't. That's my point - it should be.

The FA should not be arbiters of whether an administration is 'good' or 'bad' or 'soft' or otherwise.

Set a precedent here of waiving the points deduction, just because the admin event clearly is good for the club / fans, and you open the door for every subsequent club in admin, finding lawyers to argue why theirs should be treated the same.

Bad idea.

Agree. The more flexibility allowed, the more loopholes to be exploited in the future.

Given that Blackpool are neither likely to be promoted nor likely to go down, it might not be an issue in the bigger scheme. It would be a grand gesture by the new board to take it on the chin and show a completely different way of behaving than was evident under the old regime!

Are the lower divisions subject to the same sort of sliding scale of payout based on final league position?

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Good riddance to them , these type of people think they can get away with anything they like and there’s plenty of them about , I’m very happy the law looks like finally catching up with them , a stint behind bars wouldn’t go amiss but I think the Judges original ruling was very cleverly constructed and thought out to best serve the actual supporters of the club and the entirety of the club itself , Good Luck and well done to the fans that never gave up .

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Good riddance to them , these type of people think they can get away with anything they like and there’s plenty of them about , I’m very happy the law looks like finally catching up with them , a stint behind bars wouldn’t go amiss but I think the Judges original ruling was very cleverly constructed and thought out to best serve the actual supporters of the club and the entirety of the club itself , Good Luck and well done to the fans that never gave up .

Criminal proceedings could follow later if the Receiver found; fraud, negligent or deliberate trading, preferential treatment of a creditor, breach of the Companies Act, etc, etc.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Agree. The more flexibility allowed, the more loopholes to be exploited in the future.

Given that Blackpool are neither likely to be promoted nor likely to go down, it might not be an issue in the bigger scheme. It would be a grand gesture by the new board to take it on the chin and show a completely different way of behaving than was evident under the old regime!

Are the lower divisions subject to the same sort of sliding scale of payout based on final league position?

Teams receive a live TV broadcast fee, but as I understand it, clubs receive either a parachute payment or "solidarity payment" but this is a flat fee rather than based on finishing position (in other words, there is no "prize money" that varies based upon your final position in the table).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here