Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oxlade-Chamberlain signing confirmed

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
from BBC

Arsenal have completed the signing of Southampton winger Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain on a long-term contract.

The England Under-21 international joins for an undisclosed fee thought to be £12m up front with £3m in add-ons

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Up to £15 million to spend on more players then - and they looked pretty good against dirty Leeds on sat'dee - one of the teams to watch this year I reckon . . .

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
If Adkins sees that money then there is no reason why they shouldn't get promoted. More pressure on him then.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
That fee would pay for our new academy,nearly.
Southampton have a very good academy,can't wait for ours to get built/established.

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
Delighted with this. £12,000,000 up front, what a deal. Mr. Cortese has worked his magic and by not backing down (which wenger got all shitty about in the papers, saying we were being unreasonable) has made us a massive profit.

I expect most of it will go into the bank and up to £5,000,000 will be made available.

This brings me onto my last point.

I have noticed on other threads, people asking why arn't we spending money? stating we've been poor in the transfer market, and we have all this money so why arn't we spending?

Adkins doesn't feel the need to, we spent our money over the last two years and have built a very good team, we just needed to add quality to that. Adkins stated we wouldn't buy anyone unless they're better than what we already have, which is what we've done. We have bought in Jack Cork for £750k, which is a phenomenal piece of business and Steve De Ridder who looks very good for a similar fee. I would say we've been very astute in the market so far, but expect a couple more signings, Jay Rodrigues and Danny Fox have been muted. Not sure about Fox as I believe Harding is plenty good enough in the LB position at the moment, but Rodrigues would be a top, top signing.

We are also acting as a viable business, not throwing cash about left right and centre so will not be spending stupid amounts on players, such as the £5million Bristol want for Maynard.

Just trying to give you a more detailed picture.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Southampton have mugged them off with the 12 million up front. Maybe over time he will be worth that but it is all potential

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Delighted with this. £12,000,000 up front, what a deal. Mr. Cortese has worked his magic and by not backing down (which wenger got all shitty about in the papers, saying we were being unreasonable) has made us a massive profit.

I expect most of it will go into the bank and up to £5,000,000 will be made available.

I have noticed on other threads, people asking why arn't we spending money? stating we've been poor in the transfer market, and we have all this money so why arn't we spending?

Adkins doesn't feel the need to, we spent our money over the last two years and have built a very good team, we just needed to add quality to that. Adkins stated we wouldn't buy anyone unless they're better than what we already have, which is what we've done. We have bought in Jack Cork for £750k, which is a phenomenal piece of business and Steve De Ridder who looks very good for a similar fee. I would say we've been very astute in the market so far, but expect a couple more signings, Jay Rodrigues and Danny Fox have been muted. Not sure about Fox as I believe Harding is plenty good enough in the LB position at the moment, but Rodrigues would be a top, top signing.

We are also acting as a viable business, not throwing cash about left right and centre so will not be spending stupid amounts on players, such as the £5million Bristol want for Maynard.

I have to agree. Saints made a point of bringing players who could do a job right away but also had ability to perform at the next level up. They look strong.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
What a mug Wenger is these days. What is he thinking £12m for a kid who has never played higher than League 1 level? Signing yet another promising young speedy winger when all they really need is a few proper centre backs with Champions League experience. I am astounded by this whole transfer it is utter madness.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
£12 million! Who would you prefer to have Oxlade-Chamberlain or Lua Lua, Noone or Buckley? I'd take any of our three anyday. At least for the next 2 seasons till he develops his so called "potential"

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
£12 million! Who would you prefer to have Oxlade-Chamberlain or Lua Lua, Noone or Buckley? I'd take any of our three anyday. At least for the next 2 seasons till he develops his so called "potential"

For £12million we could have Oxocube or Lua Lua, Noone, Buckley and Bennett. With 6 odd million left over.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
For £12million we could have Oxocube or Lua Lua, Noone, Buckley and Bennett. With 6 odd million left over.

When you put it like that shows how ridiculous a fee it is. Fair play to Southampton though they clearly know how squeeze money from the big boys

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

Cheers JJB. It looks like you have some Academy there. One for us to aspire to.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
Us Saints fans are finding this brilliant news. £12m+ for player only proved at league one level. We have made absolute clowns of Arsenal.

Would be nice if we could spend a chunk of this money before the window closes.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Us Saints fans are finding this brilliant news. £12m+ for player only proved at league one level. We have made absolute clowns of Arsenal.

Would be nice if we could spend a chunk of this money before the window closes.

Agree with you. Crazy money for him. Will enable you to boost the squad enough to almost guarantee a top 6 position

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here