Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Own Teeth? . . . Dentures? . . . Implants?

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
chatting to my dentist the other day and she reckons implant is north of 2k !!!!

how on earth can people afford that i don’t know

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have all my own teeth (apart from two 'wisdom' teeth that were removed because of the Trades Description Act, and one near the front in the lower tier because my tiny mouth didn't have room for it).

I have brushed my teeth twice a day, every day, for 64 years. I was first in the queue for fluoride toothpaste. I went electric when Faversham had finally succeeded in its quest for fire.

I get regular dental checks, and have the tartar, and anything else Volga or Ural removed.

I appreciate that some people have been dealt a bad hand, but even a bad hand can hold a toothbrush.

(My sympathies go to any tetracycline victims from the 1960s. Avoiding that wasn't possible then, but owing to Safety Pharmacology, it is now).

Last edited:

Jul 7, 2003
One implant where I had a root abscess which killed the tooth. One gap which might need an implant after a tooth broke, other than that, still all mine at 54.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I am just in the middle of my 5th implant. Yes at just over 2k not cheap but it was using money put aside for a rainy day .I did not want to go into my final years all gummy.I would recommend Brighton Implant centre rather than your own dentist. Hove implant centre was a lot more than that.If you have a tooth out it can take about 7-8 months. I now use a water flosser and it certainly helps keeping your mouth clean.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
chatting to my dentist the other day and she reckons implant is north of 2k !!!!

how on earth can people afford that i don’t know
Check out Spanish dentists. Implants around 750e with standards as good as, if not better, than the UK. There are plenty of dentist practises in Southern Spain and non have waiting lists as there is no National Health System for mouth care here. However this keeps costs very reasonable and standards high.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I changed dentist about a year ago because I had grown dissatisfied with the one I'd been with for 20 years after it'd got taken over by a chain that seemed more interested in implants (dental and lip) than your basic dental care. I returned to a practice that I'd been with up until 1999 that my wife still uses. They basically said I'd got stage 3 periodontis and needed teeth removing so I now have to wear a small denture. It's a crap experience believe me. And expensive (especially when you lose a set). I'm hoping that a couple of sessions with the periodontist (£500 each) and much better dental health regime will mean I can get a bridge (not the Stamford kind). In my case they think it may be genetic not just not flossing until my 40s. I don't smoke and am not an excessive drinker.
Moral of the story: buy and use an electric toothbrush on your gums and floss.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Check out Spanish dentists. Implants around 750e with standards as good as, if not better, than the UK. There are plenty of dentist practises in Southern Spain and non have waiting lists as there is no National Health System for mouth care here. However this keeps costs very reasonable and standards high.
I’m taking a wild guess that Spanish dentists will be a lot better than Egyptians ones . Just a hunch !

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Now minus one at the top back, Dentist told me (correctly) I wouldn't notice after a while. I suppose at 62 it isn't too bad.

Awaiting my usual bollocking from the Hygienist Tuesday AM as I brush morning & night but know I don't floss enough!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Three crowns - all on the NHS (but still £250 a pop, but well worth it. Quite a few gaps (at the back, where they don't show - and who needs wisdom teeth anyway?) but more than enough left to chew with.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
Four false ones at the front, knocked out in a car crash. Didn't like them 40 years ago, still don't like them now.
Things move on, and I believe new teeth are so much better now than then. (Mine were £600, dread to think what they'd be now).
Couple of years ago one of my front teeth cracked at the top (did it on one of those tiny rock-hard chips you get at the bottom of the bag) - my other front tooth was due a root canal or something so that was filed down to attach my two (false) front teeth. Think that's a veneer? Anyway i didn't get much change from £2k so that was fun.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I genuinely have undertaken all my own dentistry for the past 40 years and still have a full set of my own teeth

i have even done some work on other peoples teeth when they could not find or afford to visit a dentist

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
I’ve just spent close to £1500 on 5 x visits to the dentist. Haven’t been since lockdown and previous to that the last hygienist I saw must be 5 years ago.
Previous visit to the hygienist consisted of about 20 minutes rooting about down your gums with no anaesthetic, which kinda put me off going, so changed dentist and what a difference.
They split your mouth into 4 x parts and take an hour to thoroughly clean each part per visit. Every time they give you anaesthetic so you don’t feel a thing.
last visit was to change 2 x old silver fillings with new and they look like proper teeth, can’t even tell there’s fillings there.
Originally when I got the quote, I thought sod that but then realised I wanted nice teeth for the rest of my life and would happily pay that for a weeks holiday somewhere. Worth every penny!

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
These people who go to Budapest and stuff to have their teeth done. I know a few. All their sets of teeth now look the same and
if I'm being honest, a bit odd. It's like the set they've had done are the same set whoever you are and just don't look
natural. Too pronounced and stick out a bit like Dick Emery's vicar character.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
I genuinely have undertaken all my own dentistry for the past 40 years and still have a full set of my own teeth

i have even done some work on other peoples teeth when they could not find or afford to visit a dentist
Alright Bob.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've just a bridge put in as I lost my front tooth (or rather, what was left of it -it had been damaged in an accident years ago) and had another crumbling away. It was a long process - I was in the chair for an hour and 45 minutes for the first appointment and about 40 minutes for the second - but not too painful.

Cost me just short of three grand though - that was painful. I shudder to think how much it would have been if I'd gone private

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
All my own, though with gaps at the back which are not seen.
My wisdom teeth had to be pulled back in my late 20's, as they were growing at funny angles.
I have had 4 others pulled witch were molars, so not evident when I smile.
I did have a crown at the very back fall off, I asked the dentist if he could stick it back on again and he said no.
A new one was a prohibitive price, the tooth is dead anyway, so I got him to just fill the hole and shape it with his scrapy thing to look like the top of a tooth.
He was reluctant but agreed as I said I would go elsewhere if he didn't, no problem with it since.
getting an electric toothbrush has helped too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here