Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Own Goals - another record?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
1684508241160.png

BBC website

Three games in which to break this record as well. I must admit it hadn't struck me that we were scoring so many own goals. Any thoughts as to why?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
View attachment 161062

BBC website

Three games in which to break this record as well. I must admit it hadn't struck me that we were scoring so many own goals. Any thoughts as to why?
Well, they include Gross's "OG" at Forest - not sure there was anything he could do about it. Plus Steele's "OG" v Everton. Can't remember the other three. Undav's was a genuine OG, but often OGs are just bad luck - deflections where you're doing your best to block a shot.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Read somewhere that Undav is the first Albion player, and the first German, to score both an og and a goal in the same match.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Well, they include Gross's "OG" at Forest - not sure there was anything he could do about it. Plus Steele's "OG" v Everton. Can't remember the other three. Undav's was a genuine OG, but often OGs are just bad luck - deflections where you're doing your best to block a shot.
Mac got one in first game of season when desperate Sanchez save went in off him; probably would have gone in anyway. Presume Dunk got at least one of the others?

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Stockdales 2 v Norwich were annoying.
Dunks ogs v Liverpool in the cup a few years back were also symptomatic of his charging out to block shots.
Best was Colin Hawkins diving header at the theatre of trees.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Dunks ogs v Liverpool in the cup a few years back were also symptomatic of his charging out to block shots.
Liam Bridcutt scored two OGs that day

Dunks own goal came from him making a right hash of trying to control the ball on his chest and knee inside his own 6 yard box.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Read somewhere that Undav is the first Albion player, and the first German, to score both an og and a goal in the same match.
I read somewhere that this weekend there were no new football records set.

Which is a record!

Hovegull

Nov 27, 2022
Still cannot understand how Steele was credited for an OG in the Everton game? Surely if a goal goes in, and the keeper doesn’t save it….that’s just a goal credited to the scorer?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Still cannot understand how Steele was credited for an OG in the Everton game? Surely if a goal goes in, and the keeper doesn’t save it….that’s just a goal credited to the scorer?
Because it wasn’t on target, in fact I don’t even think it was a shot.

Steele stuck out his foot and diverted it into the goal so it’s an own goal.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Are we sure no Brighton player has scored for both teams in a game before? I thought the 80s or 90s turned up a couple, maybe even Gatting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here