Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Owen

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Uncle Buck said:
The thing is you say we were shite in Wales, but we got a result, OK it was a bit of a disjointed performance, but we got the job done. Last season Brighton played disjointedly an awful lot but did enough to stay up, so why accpet that on the one hand and get at Sven with the other?
The Albion, sadly, does not have a selection of world class players for McGhee to mould into a successful team (and of course, as we know, success CAN only be measured exclusively in silverware, right Uncle B ?).

With players such as Gerrard, Rooney, Beckham, Owen, the Coles etc etc, I don't think it too unreasonable to expect to see an England team put the opposition on the back foot with some free-flownig, attacking football once in a while. Or is that really beyond us ? Are the Denmark/Wales performances as good as we have a right to expect ? How about the Sweden/Nigeria games ? 2nd half v Denmark (World Cup).

The shite performances far, FAR outweigh the good ones by a ratio of...ooooh, 5:1 I'd say ? Scraping and grinding results will only get you so far. Svens test is doing it against the big boys when it really matters, and each time, we have come up woefully, woefully short.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Easy 10 said:
The Albion, sadly, does not have a selection of world class players for McGhee to mould into a successful team (and of course, as we know, success CAN only be measured exclusively in silverware, right Uncle B ?).

With players such as Gerrard, Rooney, Beckham, Owen, the Coles etc etc, I don't think it too unreasonable to expect to see an England team put the opposition on the back foot with some free-flownig, attacking football once in a while. Or is that really beyond us ? Are the Denmark/Wales performances as good as we have a right to expect ? How about the Sweden/Nigeria games ? 2nd half v Denmark (World Cup).

The shite performances far, FAR outweigh the good ones by a ratio of...ooooh, 5:1 I'd say ? Scraping and grinding results will only get you so far. Svens test is doing it against the big boys when it really matters, and each time, we have come up woefully, woefully short.

I cannot believe you are trying to use the Denmark game in the World Cup as a shite performance. We won 3-0 for goodness sake. What was the point of knackering ourselves out in the second half when we knew we had another game to play. I would give up now, you are starting to scrap the barrel.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Can you give some examples of England playing well over the last year or so ? How many times have you thought "f*** me, that was really entertaining, we were excellent" ?

You seem happy to accept complete mediocrity when this side could and should be producing far, far more.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Easy 10 said:
Can you give some examples of England playing well over the last year or so ? How many times have you thought "f*** me, that was really entertaining, we were excellent" ?

You seem happy to accept complete mediocrity when this side could and should be producing far, far more.

If we win the world cup by winning all the games 1-0 would you really mind?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Easy 10 said:

Fine the Croatia game in Euro 2004.

I thought the Wales game at Old Trafford we played well and another day could have had more than 2.

The Poland away game, not many teams go to Poland and win, but oh under Sven the Incompetant we did.

The Azerbiajan game at Newcastle again another day it would have been more than 2, just seemed Owen had a rare off day for England.

The Turkey game at Sunderland in 2003, we played well and beat a side that had finished third at the World Cup.

The Turkey game in Istanbul in 2003. OK it was a 0-0 but all the clear chances were Englands and if Beckham could learn to take penalties it would have been our win.

To be honest for 90 minutes of the France game at Euro 2004 we were the better side by a mile and again if Beckham could take penalties we would have been 2-0 up. Just in injury time I saw the freakish 3 minutes ever.

Is that enough? Or can I use the Iceland friendly in the run up to Euro 2004 or the Portugal away friendly?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Fine the Croatia game in Euro 2004. Agreed

I thought the Wales game at Old Trafford we played well and another day could have had more than 2. certainly no better than average, against feeble opposition

The Poland away game, not many teams go to Poland and win, but oh under Sven the Incompetant we did. Ground out a result, was never going to be a classic. Competent enough so yes, good performance

The Azerbiajan game at Newcastle again another day it would have been more than 2, just seemed Owen had a rare off day for England. christ, if we can't look semi-decent against that lot...

The Turkey game at Sunderland in 2003, we played well and beat a side that had finished third at the World Cup.agree, that was superb

The Turkey game in Istanbul in 2003. OK it was a 0-0 but all the clear chances were Englands and if Beckham could learn to take penalties it would have been our win.another grinder, nothing wrong with that though, good performance

To be honest for 90 minutes of the France game at Euro 2004 we were the better side by a mile and again if Beckham could take penalties we would have been 2-0 up. Just in injury time I saw the freakish 3 minutes ever. A game completely pissed away, can't agree that can go down as a good performance

Is that enough? Or can I use the Iceland friendly in the run up to Euro 2004 or the Portugal away friendly? Iceland ?? jees, are they even worth mentioning, I can't even remember it. Portugal was nothing special either, hardly a good performance, barely average again I'd say

We've generally managed to grind out results aganists 2nd rate opposition when we've needed to, which is fine. But there comes a time when you look at our players and want to see something more. Something that'll make you believe that we can take on the best and beat them. I'm afraid Erikssons England rarely show that kind of form. Isolated decent performances surrounded by acres of dross. Gimmee a list of the last 20 games, and I bet theres about 4 or 5 really good performances amongst them, tops.

I'd say England are punching above their weight. We're reaching the quarter finals of tournaments and going out to decent opposition, isn't that what England have pretty much always done? Under Keegan and Taylor we'd either go out in the first round or not qualify. You can't say there hasn't been ANY improvement under Sven. The side needs a bit of fine turning and he needs to sort the midfield out but above all I think the players haven't been performing in the white shirts for many, many years now.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The only thing i hate about england is the fact no metter hoe well you play you will be dropped for a big name for the next game - ala king in euro 04

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
England played better against Denmark IMO!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here