Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Owen Patterson M.P.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yes. That more or less covers it.

It’s all massively disagreeable. His proposed “punishment” was a 30 day suspension, which seems fairly meagre as a sanction to begin with. Even this was too much for the poor little corrupt lamb and strings were pulled.

Oh yes. And he got to vote on the amendment too, thereby having a direct say in amending the system to his advantage.

Absolutely disgraceful.

And he got to keep his ill-gotten cash.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
None of the usual Conservative party apologists posting on this thread.

Too much for even them to stomach?

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I thought the Republicans brought politics to a new low by being Trump enablers and not batting an eyelid at any of the antics he got up to.

Looks as if the Tories are running a very close second.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I thought the Republicans brought politics to a new low by being Trump enablers and not batting an eyelid at any of the antics he got up to.

Looks as if the Tories are running a very close second.

A quick question Lyndhurst, what is the take among sane Americans on the shenanigans in Dallas yesterday?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
We were a laughing stock, now we are beginning to plumb the depths of genuine corrupt governance in the same manner as Erdogan and Orban have abused office.

Sadly I can't see a way out of this, Johnson is not called to account for his lies and misdemeanours and the 80 seat majority means he can get away with anything. We have a client press and many broadcasters are compliant and afraid of the threats by the government attack dogs. So many ministers lie and break rules without an comeback and to top it all we have a supine electorate that can't see the catastrophe unfolding.

And people aren’t wearing enough hats.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
A quick question Lyndhurst, what is the take among sane Americans on the shenanigans in Dallas yesterday?

Complete disbelief and hoping the more insane the QAnon conspiracy theories get the more their credibility will be shot, but they aren't holding their breath !

This has also been circulating on social media, which is a bit weird considering his sentencing isn't until November 17

qanon shaman r.jpg

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
No. There are some.

The 'tory scum' trope is not appropriate and is part of the reason labour STILL don't have enough support to dislodge this crime gang.

Floating voters win elections and suggesting that anyone who has voted in the past for the tories is, by definition, not decent is what labour used to call 'no compromise with the electorate'.

I want change, and saying 'yah boo' to former tory voters (and we are all former voters till the next time we vote) should not be part of the campaign.

We will never agree... but I respect your opinions.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Complete disbelief and hoping the more insane the QAnon conspiracy theories get the more their credibility will be shot, but they aren't holding their breath !

This has also been circulating on social media, which is a bit weird considering his sentencing isn't until November 17

View attachment 141853

I saw yesterday hundreds of those QAnon types had gathered in Dallas awaiting the return of JFK and JFK Jr.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Is my understanding correct? That rather than accept the findings of an impartial parliamentary investigation into this individual’s behaviour, he’s persuaded his colleagues to instead vote for a complete reworking of the rules around MPs behaviour, conveniently letting himself off the hook, and avoiding the risk of a by-election?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bit I don’t get is surely he was “convicted” under the old (current) system so how come they have decided the sentence has now to be put on hold until they have a new system. Does that mean anyone found guilty under the old system can now retrospectively claim to be “retried” under the new system

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

View attachment 141853

When I first saw it, I did think it was a parody and I thought it was quite amusing. Then I realised that they were for real and I then found it both hilarious on so many levels and quite frightening.

The rumours that Robin Williams had turned up was of the scale mad.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The bit I don’t get is surely he was “convicted” under the old (current) system so how come they have decided the sentence has now to be put on hold until they have a new system. Does that mean anyone found guilty under the old system can now retrospectively claim to be “retried” under the new system

The government doesn’t like being held to account so they are rejecting the findings, and want a new Parliamentary Standards committee headed up by John Whittingdale.
Marking their own homework, so to speak.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It's a double blow for most of them, given that Patterson is both a tory and a brexiter., so no wonder Johnson wanted to support him.

They will wait till there are a couple of hundred posts, most of us have said our bit, and the stragglers and latecomers are discussing peripheral issues, perhaps revisiting the 'tory scum' trope, and then they will POUNCE, with whataboutery.

As usual :shrug:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
So, a MP breaks the rules, gets found guilty by the cross party committee and suspends him.

The ducking tories then decide to change the rules so he gets away with it and will have their own committee made up of their own to judge these things

This is beyond farce now. This is corruption and self interest in the extreme.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here