Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Owen Garvan (merged)

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Liam Bridcutt, the guy so shit, he got taken off in the 2nd friendly he played for Palace last season and got his trial ended early.

Bridcutt is a player who performs better when he is loved. He also performs better when he is in a team that plays football. He is also young and has had games where he has not performed at his best. But if you really think he is shit - then I am afraid you have another think coming. He is a quality player in a quality passing team. And he is getting better.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I bet there really is a certain amount of truth in this. To be honest, Palace have been utter shit for two seasons, so we really shouldn't be cherry picking from their crap squad. Even when Ambrose eventually leaves, he will be massively over-priced.

We won't be challenging at the top if we obsess over taking their crap players.

Yes. Meh. Let the rats stay on the sinking ship.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Palace owners are fans, and they will go that extra mile to piss on our chips.

The reason why they offered Muzza more money than anyone else was to take the shine of our promotion, and it worked. Instead of celebrating being CHAMPIONS, we fell for it and set up a lynch mob for the quietly spoken Cumbrian enigma.

Having agreed a fee for Garvan, don't be surprised if he was then offered a better contract at Palace, just to get us into a lather again. For the first time in decades we can not only compete with them in relation to signings, but spend more money, and they have devised a strategy to counteract this.

Our best reaction surely should not go into binfest mode, but just go 'Meh'.

Nice theory EP, but sadly fatally undermined due to our complete lack of bloody chips to piss on now. :glare:

Very impressive use of the term "The Quietly spoken Cumbrian enigma" though. Is it anybody we know?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Not quite sure how this thread got to 49 pages, until it started I hadn't even heard of this Garvan chap - and one YouTube clip of him doing a Maradona roll doesn't make him a football genius (I can do that trick, and I'm shit at football).

So... meh... don't even know why I'm writi....

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Palace owners are fans, and they will go that extra mile to piss on our chips.

The reason why they offered Muzza more money than anyone else was to take the shine of our promotion, and it worked. Instead of celebrating being CHAMPIONS, we fell for it and set up a lynch mob for the quietly spoken Cumbrian enigma.

Having agreed a fee for Garvan, don't be surprised if he was then offered a better contract at Palace, just to get us into a lather again. For the first time in decades we can not only compete with them in relation to signings, but spend more money, and they have devised a strategy to counteract this.

Our best reaction surely should not go into binfest mode, but just go 'Meh'.

"the quietly spoken Cumbrian enigma", love it, not herard that one - oh, and as for the Gravan histrionics, meh.

Palace4ever

Apr 13, 2011
I really cannot work out what is funnier. The back-tracking of Albion fans on the potential transfer of Owen Garvan being even more quick and obvious than the back-tracking of the Palace fans; or the fact that in this thread we have been referred to as both 'Nigels' & 'Pikey caravan dwellers'. Sometimes in the same post :facepalm:

Perhaps I should have come to expect that level of inconsistency and lack-of-fact-finding that goes into a lot of the posts on here.

As one of the more sensible posters on the HOL put it 'only brighton can view a league 1 promotion as evidence of superiority over a club that hasn't even seen that level for 35 seasons. Brilliant' :lolol:

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I don't think anyone really got excited about this signing. He would have a been a useful squad player, but not a certain shoe-in for a starting place. Meh, we move on.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I really cannot work out what is funnier. The back-tracking of Albion fans on the potential transfer of Owen Garvan being even more quick and obvious than the back-tracking of the Palace fans;
How is it any different on your part? Back tracking on both sides, as expected. You are clearly a simpleton if you are trying to make capital out of this.

or the fact that in this thread we have been referred to as both 'Nigels' & 'Pikey caravan dwellers'. Sometimes in the same post :facepalm:
Really? Show me where someone is calls your sad bunch a bunch of pikies *and* Nigels. I bet you can't. Or perhaps you'll find ONE example at most.

Perhaps I should have come to expect that level of inconsistency and lack-of-fact-finding that goes into a lot of the posts on here.

As one of the more sensible posters on the HOL put it 'only brighton can view a league 1 promotion as evidence of superiority over a club that hasn't even seen that level for 35 seasons. Brilliant' :lolol:
*sigh*. No, it's our superior stadium, squad, and season ticket sales that mean we're a better club than you. Plus the fact we haven't cheated local businesses twice in an attempt to punch above our weight. Palace fans will say anything to avoid the truth.

Palace4ever

Apr 13, 2011
How is it any different on your part? Back tracking on both sides, as expected. You are clearly a simpleton if you are trying to make capital out of this.

Really? Show me where someone is calls your sad bunch a bunch of pikies *and* Nigels. I bet you can't. Or perhaps you'll find ONE example at most.

*sigh*. No, it's our superior stadium, squad, and season ticket sales that mean we're a better club than you. Plus the fact we haven't cheated local businesses twice in an attempt to punch above our weight. Palace fans will say anything to avoid the truth.

I'll refer you to post #947 (at a quick glance) in which it was claimed a 'Nigel' posted crap on your message board, and then continued to infer that there probably isn't enough room in his caravan to lie down. Yes - lot's of middle-class sub-urban Surrey Palace fans (why Millwall call us Nigels) live in trailer parks and mobile homes (why you think we are Pikey's). There are countless examples of both names being levelled at us on here and our own forums - but carry on.

The back-tracking has been done by both sides of the argument - not going to argue with that. It is rich, however, that for us it is that he all-of-a-sudden is good (take a look at various Palace forums who are annoyed that he didn't go) yet the fact he hasn't cme to you is because Gus had other targets in mind ahead of Garvan. Yep - sure. That's why he upped and original offer and then got pissy that Garvan didn't even bother coming to meet him. No sour grapes about losing a target there at all. To suggest we offered Garvan a better contract to 'get one over on you' is equally unsubstantiated given that we bothered to accpet the offer. Why on earth would we have done that & had Dougie say that the deal worked for the club?

Superior stadium - true, but a stadiums shine means feck all on the pitch. You are still 4k dowon on our capacity anyway. Season ticket sales boosted by promotion and a new stadium is hardly proof of superioirty. I urge you to take a look at our signings during SJ's tenure (factoring in Premiership money and money gained from player sales). We didn't spend money on getting big names to Selhurst - he wasted his money hiring and firing managers and paying rent on Slehurst above what it was making him in profit. Mainly because he was an awful negotiater. The point stands 2 administrations, various managerial disasters, players leaving and not being replaced and we still kept our 2nd tier stauts. So please give me something concrete (and not subjective such as 'our squad is better') to validate your fans assertion that you are a superior club to Palace?

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
I'll refer you to post #947 (at a quick glance) in which it was claimed a 'Nigel' posted crap on your message board, and then continued to infer that there probably isn't enough room in his caravan to lie down. Yes - lot's of middle-class sub-urban Surrey Palace fans (why Millwall call us Nigels) live in trailer parks and mobile homes (why you think we are Pikey's). There are countless examples of both names being levelled at us on here and our own forums - but carry on.

The back-tracking has been done by both sides of the argument - not going to argue with that. It is rich, however, that for us it is that he all-of-a-sudden is good (take a look at various Palace forums who are annoyed that he didn't go) yet the fact he hasn't cme to you is because Gus had other targets in mind ahead of Garvan. Yep - sure. That's why he upped and original offer and then got pissy that Garvan didn't even bother coming to meet him. No sour grapes about losing a target there at all. To suggest we offered Garvan a better contract to 'get one over on you' is equally unsubstantiated given that we bothered to accpet the offer. Why on earth would we have done that & had Dougie say that the deal worked for the club?

Superior stadium - true, but a stadiums shine means feck all on the pitch. You are still 4k dowon on our capacity anyway. Season ticket sales boosted by promotion and a new stadium is hardly proof of superioirty. I urge you to take a look at our signings during SJ's tenure (factoring in Premiership money and money gained from player sales). We didn't spend money on getting big names to Selhurst - he wasted his money hiring and firing managers and paying rent on Slehurst above what it was making him in profit. Mainly because he was an awful negotiater. The point stands 2 administrations, various managerial disasters, players leaving and not being replaced and we still kept our 2nd tier stauts. So please give me something concrete (and not subjective such as 'our squad is better') to validate your fans assertion that you are a superior club to Palace?

Our squad is better

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

Bless your little heart, I do apologise unreservedly if I have hurt your feelings x

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
That's why he upped and original offer and then got pissy that Garvan didn't even bother coming to meet him. No sour grapes about losing a target there at all. To suggest we offered Garvan a better contract to 'get one over on you' is equally unsubstantiated given that we bothered to accpet the offer.

I'll be honest P4E I have ZERO evidence to back up my allegation. All I was saying is that if I was in charge of Palace, and wanting to stop the Albion being too big for their boots, that this would be one avenue worth exploring.

Even if he had decided to seek pastures new, the fact that Murray turned down offers from Southampton and Millwall, both of whom appear to have better prospects than Palace for the forthcoming season (I think Saints will be top ten) and he would be an ideal like for like replacement for Morrison at 'Wall, suggests that Palace took the cheque book approach to persuade him to sign a contract.

It COULD be that he was impressed by Dougie's persuasion I concede, but would seem strange. It could be that the other clubs only offered him a two year deal, and he wanted the security of a third, or it could be that CPFC2010 were willing to be more generous than they would have been for a player from any other club, simply to wind up things at the Albion, and put a dampener on celebrations . Pure speculation I concede, and perhaps a conspiracy too far, but it does square the circle.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
As one of the more sensible posters on the HOL put it 'only brighton can view a league 1 promotion as evidence of superiority over a club that wont see that level until next season. Brilliant' :lolol:

Corrected for accuracy :thumbsup:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It COULD be that he was impressed by Dougie's persuasion I concede, but would seem strange. .

I'm trying to think of ANY situation where Dougie Freedman could outsell Gus, and with the possible exception of second-hand caravans, I'm struggling.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'm trying to think of ANY situation where Dougie Freedman could outsell Gus, and with the possible exception of second-hand caravans, I'm struggling.

Muzza is from Maryport, which makes him practically Scottish, so perhaps he understood Dougie?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here