Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Owen Garvan (merged)

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
5th bottom with a deduction, 6th bottom after a summer of madness, instability and a bad appointment in manager.

We've come out of the other side of two terrible seasons, and we're thoroughly sorted. This team last year, we had 8 senior players. This year, we're almost sorted already.

We've just had then lowest of the low, and we came out FAR stronger than we came in and spunked other football clubs, local businesses and charities. There's every reason to be optimistic.

If we can survive with a terrible manager, no money, a points deduction, very bad injuries to three of our best players and a stupidly thin squad... Why shouldn't we do well with a better manager, a couple of million to spend, no points deduction, genuine quality in the team and no long term injuries?

Re-worded for authenticity.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Our forums have twonks too no doubt, but the vast majority of our fans realise that we need to improve. The attitude we get from many of you is that you are the real deal already and will leave many teams in your wake.

Remind me, what does pride come before?

If you look at the poll on NSC yesterday about our expected final position, most posters here are realistic too. Looking at the teams that have been in the Prem in the last few years, and therefore have bigger grounds, fanbases and parachute payments, both Palace and the Albion have a disadvantage before a ball is kicked. Freedman has made a fair start, not impressed with his fibbing about being interested in Murray earlier this year, but Gus says a few things that make us cringe inwardly at times too, and ultimately it's what they do in preparing players that is important, rather than soundbites for local journos.

My biggest worry is that we are overdependent not on a player, but on Gus himself and the difference he has made to the way we play. If we make a decent start and a Prem team is struggling then he could up sticks, and not sure someone replacing him would be able to pick up the pieces straight away.

Flavor Flav

Get those trousers off!
Jul 5, 2008
West Sussex
The height at back issue was very evident against Saints, especially when Murray went off injured.

The way Greer was brushed aside by Carew and Jones in the air was also worrying. Obviously not every team is like Stoke but with Saints the 'benchmark' of a mid table team people might be surprised when we lose a few.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The way Greer was brushed aside by Carew and Jones in the air was also worrying. Obviously not every team is like Stoke but with Saints the 'benchmark' of a mid table team people might be surprised when we lose a few.

Sexy Pete in nets wearing flippers and covering his gloves with molten cheese didn't help either.

Anyway, looks like we are very close to capturing Garvan and I for one feel he will be a good player for us. Interestingly and completely off topic, I have had a few texts and also "mark by the sea" has said on the Argus forum that they have seen Eidur Gudjohnsen in town today. Dont beleive them, yet Gus talks about doing things quietly and his sons saying you have no chance getting this and that player and with West Ham apparently stalling and Swansea taking their time to offer him anything...

Could be an interesting one!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Remind me what happened in the FA Cup old bean? You know, when you took this amazing brand of football up to Stoke...

We got steamrollered by a Premier League side who were bigger, stronger, fitter and more skillful than the (reserve) side we put out.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Remind me what happened in the FA Cup old bean? You know, when you took this amazing brand of football up to Stoke...

Before you make a complete dick of yourself, you are aware we put out a near-reserve side at Stoke?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Blimey - wonder what happened to scupper the deal so quickly?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
He was completely out the loop regarding the CMS deal, so wouldnt rule it out off the back of his tweets..

But in that case, to defend him, he was just back of hols, and working from old info. In this case, it sounds like he's ahead of us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here