Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Owen Garvan (merged)

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
To be fair, not many of us are making him seem like a world beater. He seems a tidy player and should do alright in the Cnampionship. I don't think its unreasonable to expect him to get at least 10, considering the service he'll be getting. Especially if partnered with some of our targets for our second striker like Rhodes.

He scored more than Simeon Jackson did in L1, I believe, and he made the step up seem easy. I'm not expecting Glenn to do the same, but I'm expecting him to do alright.

After all, he's got as much second tier experience as most of your team has, and you're expecting them to cope. With all due respect to your accomplishment, he's playing with an established and better skilled team now. With the likes of Ambrose providing crosses and through balls, he should be fine.

Sorry. Some of the crap your fans have said about him on here you would've thought you'd signed Pele not Muzza. As with all groups of fans you do get your fair share of delusional twats, I'm sure you get Brighton idiots lording it on the BBS too.
For what its worth i agree he'll get in the 10-15 bracket this season & expected this is what he'd score if he stayed with us. I'm not one of these Brighton fans who all of a sudden think he's shit cos he's left us.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
You had good results against Pompey and Watford under Burley's style of passing football, but that still didn't stop us being in the bottom 6 nearly all season.

The arrogance from you guys is funny, understandable after a league winning season, but funny nonetheless. If you read my earlier post about Swansea very much being the exception - most teams who do well in the championship do well based upon their defensive capabilities rather than their attacking prowess. When the two combine (a la Swansea) it is excellent. The reason I mentioned the Stoke match was because a lot of your fans were giving it the whole 'our passing style will give Stoke some food for thought' etc etc, yet their route one hoof-ball was far more effective. OK that was a Premier league example, but the teams who excel at fast-paced aggressive football in the championship will probably show you that the 'tika-taka' style that you adopt will face a sterner test than you had for the majority of last seaon.

Of course anything can happen in the league - and you may settle in well and have a good campaign - it is impossible to say. However, the attitude that what you have going on at the moment is a that BHA is producing some sort of 'football revolution' is a little wide of the mark - and the idea of keeping the ball on the deck and passing it around has been a tactic employed for as long as any of us can remember. You won the league well and did it playing good football - don't assume that will translate as well to the NPC.

Your comment about 'light-years' ahead is quite funny really. Given that a) you probably didn't see any of it and b) the quality of the opposition was undoubtedly higher means that you cannot substantiate that comment. As I said before, the quality of the movement, passing and play under Burley was reminiscent of the football Steve Bruce had us playing around 10 years ago. What was lacking was the defensive skills when the opposition had the ball. That was our downfall. You'll see what I mean soon enough.

To be fair to Stoke P4E, most of our fans had deluded views about Stoke's style of play. They get the ball out wide, put in crosses, and have effective target men. We were totally outclassed and anyone who was there will acknowledge it.

As for being arrogant, the majority of fans think we will be in the 11th-14th zone that the bookies odds suggest we will achieve, so I don't think many (apart from the specials) assume we'll be setting the league ablaze. Ignore the plums from the Albion on BBS, not represent of the majority.

Last season we did play the best passing football I have seen from an Albion team in 35 years watching them, but unless the squad is strengthened significantly at centre half, centre midfield and another wide/front man we will not be top ten I suspect.

As for super Glenn, I'm not one of the revisionists in relation to his contribution over the last few years. For me he was only second best in the striking stakes to BZ. He is now at his peak, has guile, strength and vision, more of a Teddy Sheringham style striker than a Lineker, but should register double figures for you, provided he is happy in himself. If not, suspect a few red cards, as he is a tough Cumbrian lad and no stranger to giving someone a smack.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Second best only to Bobby Zamora?! Murray's face never really fitted IMHO, he got more goals this past season because he had good service from other, better players. Good luck to him though.

Palace fans will soon be moaning every time Glenn is caught offside (about 20 times per game).

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
SandownEagle on Twitter. Has accurately predicted dates and fees for every one of Leicesters signings days before they made the press. Widely known by Palace and Leicester fans for being spot on 100% of the time, which is why he's got 100's of LC followers.

I had indeed missed that - thanks. Will keep an eye out for the news. To be honest, I'm skeptical that you can get £5m for him, but time will tell and I'll happily (well, willingly) apologise if it happens.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Having read this ridiculous thread all afternoon what still amazes me is that our Palace friends seriously believe they have a great side. 5th from bottom two seasons ago (admittedly with a 10 point deduction for cheating) and then 6th from bottom last year.

They clearly are the benchmark all should follow.

Brilliant.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
Second best only to Bobby Zamora?! Murray's face never really fitted IMHO, he got more goals this past season because he had good service from other, better players. Good luck to him though.

Palace fans will soon be moaning every time Glenn is caught offside (about 20 times per game).

We're used to great players being offside. Clinton Morrison was phenomenal, but constantly flagged off.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Having read this ridiculous thread all afternoon what still amazes me is that our Palace friends seriously believe they have a great side. 5th from bottom two seasons ago (admittedly with a 10 point deduction for cheating) and then 6th from bottom last year.

Brilliant.

Higher than we've finished since 1991, so lets not get too Billy Bigbollocked about things just yet.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Absolutely correct - but still not deserving of some of the crap spouted on here today.

Agreed, but spouted by both sides of the debate at times. The drivel about Garvan from some at Palace is equalled by the same about Murray from some of us.

We SHOULD finish above Palace this season if all goes well, but most of our squad are untried/unproven at Championship level.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011

Brilliant.

5th bottom with a deduction, 6th bottom after a summer of madness, instability and a bad appointment in manager.

We've come out of the other side of two terrible seasons, and we're thoroughly sorted. This team last year, we had 8 senior players. This year, we're almost sorted already.

We've just had then lowest of the low, and we came out FAR stronger than we came in. There's every reason to be optimistic.

If we can survive with a terrible manager, no money, a points deduction, very bad injuries to three of our best players and a stupidly thin squad... Why shouldn't we do well with a better manager, a couple of million to spend, no points deduction, genuine quality in the team and no long term injuries?

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
The same Morrison that couldnt get in Sheff wed team last year in League one oh yes he was Phenomenal lol

That's the most idiotic comment I've ever seen. Go and jump off a cliff. He was a Premier League regular with us before we sold him for £5m and Andy Johnson. A reasonable swap, I'm sure you'll agree :)

I can see the headlines now... "Footballer in "getting worse with age" shocker!!!"

Do us all a favour and never have children. Incredible.

Palace4ever

Apr 13, 2011
Absolutely correct - but still not deserving of some of the crap spouted on here today.

Despite a few fans posturing, most of us realise our weaknesses and are glad to see that the team is strengthening over the summer. We ceratinly are no better than a 12th-15th placed side at present, but we do have some players of real quality in the team.

I think any comments about our team being good is more reactionary to the comments from yourselves about being 'light-years' ahead of us football-wise.

To be fair, you have some real sensible posters on here, and I am aware that not all are deluded. Our forums have twonks too no doubt, but the vast majority of our fans realise that we need to improve. The attitude we get from many of you is that you are the real deal already and will leave many teams in your wake.

Remind me, what does pride come before?

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
5th bottom with a deduction, 6th bottom after a summer of madness, instability and a bad appointment in manager.

We've come out of the other side of two terrible seasons, and we're thoroughly sorted. This team last year, we had 8 senior players. This year, we're almost sorted already.

We've just had then lowest of the low, and we came out FAR stronger than we came in. There's every reason to be optimistic.

If we can survive with a terrible manager, no money, a points deduction, very bad injuries to three of our best players and a stupidly thin squad... Why shouldn't we do well with a better manager, a couple of million to spend, no points deduction, genuine quality in the team and no long term injuries?

Fair enough. A good post. See it can be done! :thumbsup:

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
If you really believe that horseshit, you're delusional. Better skilled? you're having a laugh. Just wait till the 27th sweetcheeks, you won't hardly get a kick. Our skill in possession is miles superior to your direct and defensive game.

you won't believe it now, you'll hold onto the delusion, you'll still deny it on the 28th of Sep, but you will all witness it the night before, if any you bother to fill the away end this time.

One thing we do much better than you right now, is play football

Remind me what happened in the FA Cup old bean? You know, when you took this amazing brand of football up to Stoke...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here