Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Owen Garvan (merged)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
SLP reports no official bid for Clyne - and to be honest, less than £4m should be met with a polite, but firm 'F*ck Off!'
:

Given that he didn't bother to turn up to your end of season do to collect his POTY award I'm surprised you even want him to stay, because he patently doesn't give a f*** about you clowns, so I doubt he'll be a great influence in the dressing room.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
A good point Betfair Bozo but last year we were still recovering from the side effects of admin, had a terrible manager in Burley who made poor signings (Garvan, Dorman) and we had long term injuries to Danns and Ambrose. The fact is young Douglas came in and did a sterling job, we stayed up by 6 points! This year, onwards and upwards!

You are great at excuses I know that much.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
The BBS.

Gone from this when we made the first bid:

"wow what arrogance

they offer there star striker league 1 wages, so he walks away

they then offer a league 1 transfer fee for a young potentially v decent championship player

trying to punch above there weight, obvious before a ball is kicked"

To this now we might get him:

"I also don't understand why people would see him go to anywhere but Brighton. They are paying good money for a player most of us and our manager don't want anywhere near our first team! If people really need any evidence that they remain in our shadow, despite their posturing, then its this transfer. Will be delighted if it goes through."

Bless.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
SLP reports no official bid for Clyne - and to be honest, less than £4m should be met with a polite, but firm 'F*ck Off!'

This is mainly in reply to the comments such as 'we'll let our football do the talking on the 27th' and 'A footballer is something that Palace have no room for'. I get that it is banter, but it unsubstantiated and we've been pretty successful at playing 2nd tier football for the lifetime of a lot of our fans (albeit with a disastrous 2 years finally left behind). You certainly won't have an advantage over any teams in this league. It'll be an even playing field against all - remember that before asserting just how you are 'going to teach this league how to play football'. That arrogance certainly looked silly agianst Stoke in the cup last season. Easiest match they'd had in 20-odd years I heard a good few of their fans say :lolol:

Odd how you pick the Cup game against a Premier League side rather than than the two against Championship teams, seeing as you are arguing against our style of play working in the Championship. You are Steve Claridge and I claim my £5.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

Back on topic - I do not doubt that Gus has you guys playing some good football, and has shown himself to be a very good manager. I urge you to consider though that pretty football will not provide you as many reuslts in this league. Very few teams actually find that style of play overly successful in this league. Some of the passing football we played under Burley was genuinely edge-of-your-seat kind of football, but that often translated into a side that would struggle to muscle their way back onto the ball when the opposition had it.

If the playing style that you guys are so excited about doesn't get you the reuslts you want and you find yourselves in a relegation struggle around New Year, it'll be interesting to see if your faith in Gus will remain undeterred.

What you'll probably find is that if the pretty footy doesn't get you your results and players like Garvan are key components in the style of play you are playing - I'd imagine Garvan could become a boo boy of your fans and questions will be asked of why Gus bought him.

This is mainly in reply to the comments such as 'we'll let our football do the talking on the 27th' and 'A footballer is something that Palace have no room for'. I get that it is banter, but it unsubstantiated and we've been pretty successful at playing 2nd tier football for the lifetime of a lot of our fans (albeit with a disastrous 2 years finally left behind). You certainly won't have an advantage over any teams in this league. It'll be an even playing field against all - remember that before asserting just how you are 'going to teach this league how to play football'. That arrogance certainly looked silly agianst Stoke in the cup last season. Easiest match they'd had in 20-odd years I heard a good few of their fans say :lolol:

Don't buy any of this really.

People said you couldnt get out L1 with football , people said we wouldnt beat Pompey with football , people said we wouldnt beat watford with football and it goes on. If we continue as we have been then no fears. Yes we will come up short sometimes but don't see why total football approach wont work. Swansea did it well and look at them. Your comment about edge of the seat stuff at Palace, with respect I suspect this was probably still light years behind the stuff we have been playing. I remember a few comments about Russells Slades style at the time but our eyes have been opened to a level above. I doubt you appreciate this yet but I suspect you will !

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
as someone else mentioned, watching the Nigels running about panincing is hilarious. The are like Ants that have just had their nest destroyed with boiling water. Genuine panic in their ranks.

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
You are great at excuses I know that much.

Dougal, i do believe i have stated facts! Admin ripped the heart out of CPFC but we now have finally recovered! Back to Garvan. Look at our first team starting line up in the first half of last season. Garvan played nearly every game. As soon as he and Dorman were dropped we improved big time!

Last edited:

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
Genuine panic in their ranks.

Dougal, now your being silly. Why would we fear a team full of League One players? CMS, your star man is decent but not worth the huge transfer fee or wages you have paid. Didn't he score 11 goals last time in The Championship?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Dougal, now your being silly. Why would we fear a team full of League One players? CMS, your star man is decent but not worth the huge transfer fee or wages you have paid. Didn't he score 11 goals last time in The Championship?

More then Murray's scored in the Championship. In fact, he hasn't played in the Championship. Oh dear. Pitty Earnshaw didn't work out!

NUFC1892

Feb 13, 2011
Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
That Palace forum is ridiculous like.

I'm still waiting for them to give us our 'first real Championship test' that we were promised on there before we turned them over with ease at Selhurst Park.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

Which is 2 more than your top scorer from last year and CMS was in a team in a shambolic state

carry on though

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

Yes he did, for a team with 4 managers in one season and who were relegated in his first ever season in that division. So yes, I agree, it was very good.

Your top scorer that season was Kuqi....with 10.

Ps congrats on James Vaughans 9 goals this season to make him top scorer....

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
More then Murray's scored in the Championship. In fact, he hasn't played in the Championship. Oh dear. Pitty Earnshaw didn't work out!

I'm sure our Glenn will smash in at least 15 next season. Considering he'll be getting service from a better class of player it can only be good for both him and us!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I'm sure our Glenn will smash in at least 15 next season. Considering he'll be getting service from a better class of player it can only be good for both him and us!

If he can cut it and if he hasn't had a sulk.

I reckon he will get about 10 but to be honest who cares. Gus didnt think he was up to it and you do. All the best with that

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
Yes he did, for a team with 4 managers in one season and who were relegated in his first ever season in that division. So yes, I agree, it was very good.

Your top scorer that season was Kuqi....with 10.

Ps congrats on James Vaughans 9 goals this season to make him top scorer....

Had he played a full season that might have been a fair comparison. Instead, he joined late. His goals/game suggests he would have scored 16 last year.

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
If he can cut it and if he hasn't had a sulk.

I reckon he will get about 10 but to be honest who cares. Gus didnt think he was up to it and you do. All the best with that

I'm sure Gustavo offered a 2 year deal? No?

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
You'd think Palace were a half decent side the way you're going on!

Booooooring.

We've got the best keeper in the League, the best defender and one of the best forwards.

You can actually say that when you've got a keeper like Speroni, a defender as good as Clyne, a midfielder as good as KG or a forward as good as Ambrose.

You're signing a Palace reserve for a reasonable fee, and that makes you think you can gloat?!!?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here