Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Owen Garvan (merged)

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Darters, a rather hurtful commnet but i'll give you the benefit of the doubt and mearly put it down to a lack of football knowledge! Have you not heard of some the talent on display at Selhurst park? Clyne, Ambrose, Speroni, Zaha? I could go on...

Yeah they did brilliantly in your last two campaigns finishing fourth & fifth bottom. Maybe you'll build on it this season & finish sixth bottom :thumbsup:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Darters, a rather hurtful comment but i'll give you the benefit of the doubt and mearly put it down to a lack of football knowledge! Have you not heard of some the talent on display at Selhurst park? Clyne, Ambrose, Speroni, Zaha? I could go on...

I've heard of them. All key members of the squad that limped to final-week Championship survival, the last two seasons. They must all be AMAZING.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Darters, a rather hurtful comment but i'll give you the benefit of the doubt and mearly put it down to a lack of football knowledge! Have you not heard of some the talent on display at Selhurst park? Clyne, Ambrose, Speroni, Zaha? I could go on...

relegation fodder the last 2 years mate.

As poyet said last year, we may not have the best players but its about being the best team.

No worries about Garvan. Poyet has a knack of getting even average players looking like world beaters.

Thanks very much.

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
Gentlemen, again wrong. The 09/10 season we where deducted 10 points. Funny how you forget this :bigwave:

Shanker45

Jan 19, 2010
East Preston,West Sussex

Your post should say the talent on display LAST season. For starters, the first name you mention Clyne looks likely to be heading off to Newcastle. I wonder how many of the names you mention will actually be with you on the 6th August? Newcastle keen to spend on Crystal Palace defender Nathan Clyne - Transfer News - MirrorFootball.co.uk

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

Clyne and possibly Ambrose will be gone soon.

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
Your post should say the talent on display LAST season. For starters, the first name you mention Clyne looks likely to be heading off to Newcastle. I wonder how many of the names you mention will actually be with you on the 6th August? Newcastle keen to spend on Crystal Palace defender Nathan Clyne - Transfer News - MirrorFootball.co.uk

Shankers oldboy, don't believe everything you read in the press! £2 million wouldn't buy young Nathanial's right foot, double it and then we might consider!

Last edited:

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
So you are telling us you are going backwards then? :whistle:

A good point Betfair Bozo but last year we were still recovering from the side effects of admin, had a terrible manager in Burley who made poor signings (Garvan, Dorman) and we had long term injuries to Danns and Ambrose. The fact is young Douglas came in and did a sterling job, we stayed up by 6 points! This year, onwards and upwards!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Shankers oldboy, don't believe everything you read in the press! £2 million would buy young Nathanial's right foot, double it and then we might consider!

Fivers, what's the point of Nathanial playing with two right feet?

EP

xx

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Shankers oldboy, don't believe everything you read in the press! £2 million would buy young Nathanial's right foot, double it and then we might consider!

Ah yes loyal young Nathaniel with his red red and blue blood who couldn't be bothered to turn up to collect his fans player of the year award. Fantastic!

:amex::amex:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Still, this signing explains a lot about you boys, i'd imagine 80% of your budget has gone on CMS and his 22k a week wages ...!

Where did this piece of tosh come from? We have a strict wage structure, which I'm led to beleive has no-one on more than about 7.5k / week.

Palace4ever

Apr 13, 2011

SLP reports no official bid for Clyne - and to be honest, less than £4m should be met with a polite, but firm 'F*ck Off!'

Back on topic - I do not doubt that Gus has you guys playing some good football, and has shown himself to be a very good manager. I urge you to consider though that pretty football will not provide you as many reuslts in this league. Very few teams actually find that style of play overly successful in this league. Some of the passing football we played under Burley was genuinely edge-of-your-seat kind of football, but that often translated into a side that would struggle to muscle their way back onto the ball when the opposition had it.

If the playing style that you guys are so excited about doesn't get you the reuslts you want and you find yourselves in a relegation struggle around New Year, it'll be interesting to see if your faith in Gus will remain undeterred.

What you'll probably find is that if the pretty footy doesn't get you your results and players like Garvan are key components in the style of play you are playing - I'd imagine Garvan could become a boo boy of your fans and questions will be asked of why Gus bought him.

This is mainly in reply to the comments such as 'we'll let our football do the talking on the 27th' and 'A footballer is something that Palace have no room for'. I get that it is banter, but it unsubstantiated and we've been pretty successful at playing 2nd tier football for the lifetime of a lot of our fans (albeit with a disastrous 2 years finally left behind). You certainly won't have an advantage over any teams in this league. It'll be an even playing field against all - remember that before asserting just how you are 'going to teach this league how to play football'. That arrogance certainly looked silly agianst Stoke in the cup last season. Easiest match they'd had in 20-odd years I heard a good few of their fans say :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here