Owen Garvan (merged)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Onto Garvan:

Pro's: good left foot, decent passer.

Con's: runs like a girl who has shit herself, can't tackle, can't head, bottle's 50-50's, not athletic, sooooooo slow it is unreal.

Sounds like Dean Wilkins as a player

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Onto Garvan:

Pro's: good left foot, decent passer.

Con's: runs like a girl who has shit herself, can't tackle, can't head, bottle's 50-50's, not athletic, sooooooo slow it is unreal.

Still, an upgrade on your current mob. :lolol:

Hilarious stuff from the 100/1 outsiders there. :dunce:

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I do find it a bit odd when we take the piss about Palace going on training camps to Exeter and not spending millions on players, despite criticising them for spending above their means and going into admin. They should be congratulated for finally realising their true level

Palace4ever

Apr 13, 2011
Owen Garvan has split opinion at Palace as much as Burley did. I, personally, thought of him as a good squad player - but never made a starting place his own. At times he produced some magic (a few stunning goals and some great passes) but is too similar a player to Ambrose in our team without as much quality.

The reports of him being weak on the ball and not putting a foot in is absolutely spot on whether you want to believe it or not. Please do have a word with some Ipswich fans and have a look on their forums about Garvan - you'll get as divided an opinion as you'll get from Palace fans.

What has disappointed me about him is that he is a player that everyone speaks of 'not having yet reached his potential'. The fact is since he was 18 his game has not improved much. That is not to say he doesn't have talent - he clearly does, but his footballing brain has not matured, and he physically still gets brushed off the ball so easily. To be honest - at almost 24, if he doesn't start to get to the level he promises to, then he won't ever IMO. This season is very much 'put up or shut up' for him.

It is true that he didn't suit the style of play the DF had us paying to ensure survival - but the kicker is that GB tried (and got us playing) neat, tidy football, but unless it is done with the style and playing staff of the likes of Swansea it is very quickly met with a more effective physical game in this league. There are some wily old professionals in this league who know how to grind results rather than win them with flair - and that will not be much different this term.

Gus may bring on his game - but whilst he was part of Burley's plans to play passing football - his game was still shown to be inadequate more often than not.

Garvan is a real enigma, and my view is that the deal works for both clubs. £300k + is good business for Palace. You'll have paid what he is probably worth and he might get more game-time in a system that may suit him better.

Please do not expect this to be a 'coup'. It is a decent signing.

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
Hilarious stuff from the 100/1 outsiders there. :dunce:

Betfair Bozo me old china, didn't your mother ever tell you not to gamble, it's a mug's game! Think about it: We are selling you Garvan as he is 4th or 5th choice at our gaff. What does that say about you? :facepalm:

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
Palace fans were criticising him well before he was linked with us, so there must be some concern about him, but we all know how Gus has the ability to bring the best out of players. If he can make El Abd 3 times the player he was, then anything is possible. Guess we just have to wait and see, and take an optimistic view for now.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Betfair Bozo me old china, didn't your mother ever tell you not to gamble, it's a mug's game! Think about it: We are selling you Garvan as he is 4th or 5th choice at our gaff. What does that say about you? :facepalm:

Five me ole sausage get back to the BBS - the positive spin you lot are attempting to put on this is just fantastic reading.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
As has been stated by any number of your brethren, it says that perhaps he doesn't suit your style but may well suit ours. It's a wait and see one isn't it. I'm not overwhelmed by his capture by any means but trust in the judgement of our brilliant manager.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Good and balanced assessment palace4ever even if it pains me to say it. I expect garvan will have his moments but the rebuilding of albion continues apace!

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place

Sounds to me like he's a proper footballer from all I've read, and Palace haven't got room for them.......

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Owen Garvan has split opinion at Palace as much as Burley did. I, personally, thought of him as a good squad player - but never made a starting place his own. At times he produced some magic (a few stunning goals and some great passes) but is too similar a player to Ambrose in our team without as much quality.

The reports of him being weak on the ball and not putting a foot in is absolutely spot on whether you want to believe it or not. Please do have a word with some Ipswich fans and have a look on their forums about Garvan - you'll get as divided an opinion as you'll get from Palace fans.

What has disappointed me about him is that he is a player that everyone speaks of 'not having yet reached his potential'. The fact is since he was 18 his game has not improved much. That is not to say he doesn't have talent - he clearly does, but his footballing brain has not matured, and he physically still gets brushed off the ball so easily. To be honest - at almost 24, if he doesn't start to get to the level he promises to, then he won't ever IMO. This season is very much 'put up or shut up' for him.

It is true that he didn't suit the style of play the DF had us paying to ensure survival - but the kicker is that GB tried (and got us playing) neat, tidy football, but unless it is done with the style and playing staff of the likes of Swansea it is very quickly met with a more effective physical game in this league. There are some wily old professionals in this league who know how to grind results rather than win them with flair - and that will not be much different this term.

Gus may bring on his game - but whilst he was part of Burley's plans to play passing football - his game was still shown to be inadequate more often than not.

Garvan is a real enigma, and my view is that the deal works for both clubs. £300k + is good business for Palace. You'll have paid what he is probably worth and he might get more game-time in a system that may suit him better.

Sounds like a balanced assesment. Let's hope he fits better into our style of play than he did yours.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'd take that, Gus will only buy players that suit our style and has a way to get the best out of players. As long as he wants to be here, has the ability I am sure he will fit in fine. Happy with that.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

It quite possibly says you've got a shithouse manager and coaches who can't get the best out of players.

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
Five me ole sausage get back to the BBS - the positive spin you lot are attempting to put on this is just fantastic reading.

Cheeky monkey, you cheeky monkey! I have just been on there squire, the post about us getting the equivalent of Murray and £300k for Garvan made me chuckle. Still, this signing explains a lot about you boys, i'd imagine 80% of your budget has gone on CMS and his 22k a week wages so you have to settle for CPFC's 5th choice central midfielder. Well done Gus and Tony!

Last edited:

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

Blimey a sensible Palace fan, whatever next?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Cheeky monkey, you cheeky monkey! I have just been on there squire, the post about us getting the equiverlant of Murray and £300k for Garvan made me chuckle. Still, this signing explains a lot about you boys, i'd imagine 80% of your budget has gone on CMS and his 22k a week wages so you have to settle for CPFC's 5th choice central midfielder. Well done Gus and Tony!

As I said, I look forward to the 27th September, I am more than happy to let our football do the talking, rather than a load of hot air, that you can't back up.

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
Sounds to me like he's a proper footballer from all I've read, and Palace haven't got room for them.......

Darters, a rather hurtful comment but i'll give you the benefit of the doubt and mearly put it down to a lack of football knowledge! Have you not heard of some the talent on display at Selhurst park? Clyne, Ambrose, Speroni, Zaha? I could go on...

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Cheeky monkey, you cheeky monkey! I have just been on there squire, the post about us getting the equiverlant of Murray and £300k for Garvan made me chuckle. Still, this signing explains a lot about you boys, i'd imagine 80% of your budget has gone on CMS and his 22k a week wages so you have to settle for CPFC's 5th choice central midfielder. Well done Gus and Tony!

You'd imagine wrong, me old china. As you will soon discover.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports