Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
They attended a football tournament organised by The Camping and Caravanning Club against such opposition as Budleigh Salterton, Newton Poppleford etc.

Punching above their weight again, I see.

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
Your midfield will get pasted if they're your central pairing, believe me. You need strength and athleticism in the middle of the park in this division. Garvan has neither. I'm not just saying this - it's a fact, which Ipswich fans will back up.

Ahhh, now. We didn't want to keep Bridcutt or Garvan, you wanted to keep Murray. Garvan was a bench warmer for us, Murray was a regular for you. Some subtle differences there. Don't let the facts get in the way though, Sammy.

I believe we may play three in the middle ;) Yes, but the point still stands we play more attractive football and it is yet to be seen how Garvan will play in our team nor Murray in yours. Also, Bridcutt is amazing.

AND HOW THE HELL DO YOU KNOW MY NAME :p

pyi

Jul 24, 2007
Albion agree fee for Garvan

1:06pm Wednesday 13th July 2011
Print
Email
Comments(2)

By Andy Naylor »

Albion have reportedly agreed a fee with Crystal Palace for midfield target Owen Garvan.

The 23-year-old has headed back from Palace's training camp in Exeter to discuss personal terms with Seagulls chief Gus Poyet, according to sources in South London.

Albion had a £250,000 bid for Garvan rejected by Palace but have since upped their offer.

Poyet told The Argus last month: "We would be interested at the right price at the right time."

Comments(2)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
This is what David Pleat said about him

Financial restrictions have forced Ipswich to make the most of their youth policy and Owen Garvan, one of the homegrown talents, looks destined for the very top. He looks to have shades of Arnold Muhren, Kevin Sheedy, Dale Jasper and Liam Brady: an old-fashioned midfielder with a good left foot.

That may sound very high praise but this boy has great quality. When he plays a pass and gets the return he has already seen the next ball he wants to play and that is a special talent in someone so young. He also shows subtlety, balance and a sleight of foot beyond his years. When he receives possession he has a knack of being able to deceive opponents by dropping his shoulder and drifting away from them effortlessly. His speed of thought makes up for not being outstandingly fast.

Garvan's best position is on the left side of a central midfield pair where he can receive the ball off his defenders and make the play by bringing team-mates into the game. That is usually the quality of a player of some experience. Jim Magilton has been Ipswich's schemer-in-chief for several seasons but his time is coming to an end and Garvan will take his place with confidence.

Garvan can pass accurately short and long but what has particularly impressed me is his ability to shield possession, a quality not always seen in players from the British Isles. When tackles fly in or he is hounded by an opponent he has the composure to move and keep the ball.

He likes to shoot and can hit fierce drives from the edge of the box. He will get stronger from playing consistently in the Championship but already he can look after himself. Although still slim he shows determination and a willingness to put his foot into tackles against stronger and more experienced players.

When I first saw Garvan I wondered whether he was fully tuned in to defensive responsibilities. Balls got played behind him, I thought he was slow to react and my first instinct was that he lacked pace. But he reacts swiftly now when Ipswich lose possession and, having watched him closely, I can see he has enough speed. A slightly ugly duckling running style can make him appear sluggish at times.

It is a terrific accolade for a boy of 18 that he has rarely been out of the side this season. Ipswich won the Youth Cup last year and he showed enough quality in the first leg of the final against Southampton for Joe Royle to feel confident of using him. Three others in that team, Billy Clarke, Darryl Knights and the goalkeeper Shane Supple, also look to have particularly bright futures.

I am told Garvan is mentally strong, single-minded and one of the last to leave training, even coming in on his day off. In Royle and the assistant manager Willie Donachie he has terrific people to guide him. Ipswich have sold to survive since the Bobby Robson era and they must hope that this time the club can progress without sacrificing this fine young talent.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Why? I'm sure the amount of caravan parks in Devon is an important factor!

right by the TV aerial :rotlf: The crystal palace caravan club - click the link

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/caravanclubapps/applications/uk%20sites/Site%20Details.aspx?csid=21863

imagehandler.ashx

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
AND HOW THE HELL DO YOU KNOW MY NAME :p[/QUOTE]

Made me laugh :lolol:

Steveapps71

May 9, 2011
Brighton land
Are you sure this is true as it has also been reported on transfer rumours.

from argus:
Albion have reportedly agreed a fee with Crystal Palace for midfield target Owen Garvan.

The 23-year-old has headed back from Palace's training camp in Exeter to discuss personal terms with Seagulls chief Gus Poyet, according to sources in South London.

Albion had a £250,000 bid for Garvan rejected by Palace but have since upped their offer.

Poyet told The Argus last month: "We would be interested at the right price at the right time."

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
Don't talk shit about players you know nothing about.

That's the point.

Jedinak was woeful at the WC. Chris Wood showed more in his time on the pitch.

Tyron me old mucker, I think it's you that know's nothing about him. He played 15 minutes as a sub vs Germany at the last World Cup. Once he got into first X1 at the Asian Cup he proved to be a real star and it lead to Spurs looking at him last January.

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/853310-spurs-tracking-australian-mile-jedinak-after-impressive-asian-cup-form

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
Tyron me old mucker, I think it's you that know's nothing about him. He played 15 minutes as a sub vs Germany at the last World Cup. Once he got into first X1 at the Asian Cup he proved to be a real star and it lead to Spurs looking at him last January.

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/853310-spurs-tracking-australian-mile-jedinak-after-impressive-asian-cup-form

Yeah, but it shows how good he truly is that he has signed for CRYSTAL PALACE and not TOTTENHAM...

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
Onto Garvan:

Pro's: good left foot, decent passer.

Con's: runs like a girl who has shit herself, can't tackle, can't head, bottle's 50-50's, not athletic, sooooooo slow it is unreal.

Still, an upgrade on your current mob. :lolol:

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Harry Redknapp linked with player - has this ever happened before? He must be "triffic" "top, top, top class" and "fantastic" then....:fishing:

If 'arry has even heard of this bloke I'd be amazed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports