Owen Garvan (merged)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
If anyone can unlock the potential Garvan showed at Ipswich, Gus can. He didn't really hit the heights for Palace, but then they weren't exactly playing a style that suited him.

I think he'll only cost £350k or so and prove to be a good signing. Also the fact that I've just legitimately used the term 'only cost £350k or so' with regards to a signing still just feels crazy.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I thought out initial bid was 100K, depending where you read it i suppose.

Id be happy with anything under 300k, good footballer and left footed which is a bonus.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Harsh to merge my thread with the rumour thread! It's happening. If it's not done by tomorrow I'll take a weeks ban on the chin.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I don't think many of us will be creaming our pants like the Pikeys were when they signed Murray but I imagine our more cultured intelligent passing game will suit Garvan's game better than the agricultural style of Palace. I predict he will do a lot better with us than he managed with them. I saw one post on one of their forums claiming Garvan & Bridcutt won't get a lookin in midfield against them. I'm not sure Garvan will be first choice in the centre anyway but Bridcutt will easily cope with thi league based on his magnificent season last season.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Expect one of those Palace lot will be on here shortly to say how shit he is and how we are paying them a million and offering him 20k a week

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Harsh to merge my thread with the rumour thread! It's happening. If it's not done by tomorrow I'll take a weeks ban on the chin.
Agreed. That was the rumour thread , this is the actual news and they are two separate subjects, I've had to wade through pages of crap to find the only bits that are of interest. f***ing useless Nazi mods with nothing better to do I guess.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Expect one of those Palace lot will be on here shortly to say how shit he is and how we are paying them a million and offering him 20k a week

Agree, all very predictable that lot, they'll be here claiming that big nosed mullet haired chairman of theirs has somehow raped Bloom for more than Garvan's worth etc etc etc ad nauseum.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
As one of the few that rated him, i'm not as happy with this as some people are. Yes he's painfully slow and shy away from every challenge, but his left foot is superb. Although I'd have liked him to stay, we really can't keep someone worth a significant fee as fourth choice - it's bad business and not fair on him.

We were taking a final look at Garvan and Dorman in preseason. Looks like only one of them made the cut. Good luck to him as soon as he leaves you. While he might be distinctly average at the moment, he has big potential. We also made a profit on him, which was nice.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Any chance someone could sum up all 26 pages of the Garvan thread in one concise post? :)

Palace hate us, we hate them. We think they are gypsies, they think we are gay.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
As one of the few that rated him, i'm not as happy with this as some people are. Yes he's painfully slow and shy away from every challenge, but his left foot is superb. Although I'd have liked him to stay, we really can't keep someone worth a significant fee as fourth choice - it's bad business and not fair on him.

We were taking a final look at Garvan and Dorman in preseason. Looks like only one of them made the cut. Good luck to him as soon as he leaves you. While he might be distinctly average at the moment, he has big potential. We also made a profit on him, which was nice.

Ha. Nice way to try to spin it.

You could equally have written "Only one of them was good enough to attract offers".

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Both are threads about Owen, and the thread title was vague enough to cover both the rumour and the agreed fee (which has been added to the title making it clear of the development). I'm in the good merge camp.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Blimey, you are a precious one, aren't you?

If you like I can update your account to say "Called the Owen Garvan transfer first" in big blue flashing writing, accentuated with a few fireworks.

If ANYTHING ever deserved a :facepalm:

Last edited:

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Love the last post on Palace board by MarkHolmes 1991,We've have supposed to bid £250k for Garvan. This guy says "Let's keep him for another year and we can recoup our money by selling for£150k"....still,I do not expect maths is his strong point!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports